Single Row Vertical Tool Palette?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Single Row Vertical Tool Palette?

Post by Babz »

I've recently switched to keeping the Tool Palette outside of the Consolidated Window. But I can't seem to get it into a single vertical row. It only seems to let me have two rows of buttons. How can I get the single vertical row?

Thanks,
Babz
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Single Row Vertical Tool Palette?

Post by bayswater »

I don't think you can.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Babz

Post by Babz »

I seem to recall seeing the single row, but maybe that was in earlier versions of DP, back when there were fewer tools. :?:

Babz
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

If the control panel is docked to the CW so is the tool pallet. If you set the control panel to float, you can set the tool pallet to horizontal or vertical.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Babz

Post by Babz »

Even with the control panel in the CW, you can have the Tool Palette float (just uncheck the preference), and I can get a sigle row horizontally, but not vertically -- always two rows. There is a preference setting for vertical toolbar, but checking it seems to have no effect. I think it is a bug.

OH WAIT! Just before sending this, I decided to check the manual! (When all else fails...) :)

Option-Shift-tilde is the trick!

You can mark this one solved. :mrgreen:

Babz
Last edited by Babz on Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I guess that's a bug then.
Babz

Post by Babz »

Yeah, it BUGGED me to have to RTFM. :rtfm:

Babz
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

You can drag the corner of the toolbar to give it any number of rows, from single horizontal to single vertical. You can also use the control-shift-tilde command to do a quick switch from horizontal to vertical. Then there is the tilde command which toggles it visible or hides it.

But keep in mind that you can drag the corner of the control bar to give it more rows and less length, or vice-versa. Same with the Shortcuts bar.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Babz

Post by Babz »

Actually, that was exactly the problem. Dragging the corner would only allow me to get two rows. It wasn't until I did the command-key combination that I could finally get a single row. Could be a bug.

Best,
Babz
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:You can drag the corner of the toolbar to give it any number of rows, from single horizontal to single vertical.
Dragging doesn't get it to a single column vertically, only a single row horizontally. The best you can do by dragging is two columns.
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

bayswater wrote:
Shooshie wrote:You can drag the corner of the toolbar to give it any number of rows, from single horizontal to single vertical.
Dragging doesn't get it to a single column vertically, only a single row horizontally. The best you can do by dragging is two columns.
The only way to get the single (vertical) column is to drag the horizontal palette down to one row, then press the option-shift-tilde keys. If you then try to resize it, it will "spring" back to (at least) 2 columns. I think it's a bug.
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Babz wrote:Actually, that was exactly the problem. Dragging the corner would only allow me to get two rows. It wasn't until I did the command-key combination that I could finally get a single row. Could be a bug.

Best,
Babz
My apologies. I didn't see that you had tried dragging it, so I assumed you had not. I was surprised the first time I dragged it and it changed size and shape, as it didn't used to do that. I suppose it's been doing that since version 6, though I didn't discover it until about 2 years ago. The size and shape used to be fixed, so I only knew to use the command to toggle from X to Y axis. I mainly use it horizontally these days, as it helps fill the space left beside the control panel, along with the Shortcuts bar. [OPTION-X]

And you all are right; a bug is preventing it from resizing to one column. I did not know that, as I rarely resize it by dragging. I always use the Control-Shift-Tilde command, which always positions it in one column. Strange little bug, there.

Well, learn something every day!

Shoosh

PS: I see everyone else is saying Option-Shift-Tilde, and I'm saying Control-Shift-Tilde. I must have changed mine a long while back. I can see why I did it. It's easier to hit Control-Shift with your thumb, making the change a very fast "single motion" without even having to look at the keyboard. I must have been changing it a lot back then. For what reasons, I no longer remember. When screen real estate was hard to come by, and in the days before Spaces/Mission Control, window positioning was critical to a workflow. I'm sure it had to do with that, somehow.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Lukaspearse

Post by Lukaspearse »

I'm having this exact problem, and neither changing the Preferences nor the option-shift-tilde, not resizing the palette window seems to change anything.

Anything else I could try?

Confusing!