Expert Sleepers Silent Way Sync Issue

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
pencilina
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Expert Sleepers Silent Way Sync Issue

Post by pencilina »

Hi All,

For some reason my SW sync plugin seems to be skipping a beat every intermittently 4-16 bars. Is anybody else experiencing this or using SW sync successfully in DP? SW sync doesn't seem to have this problem in other hosts. No loops- 4/4 time.

Thanks,

Bradford
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
philbrown

Re: Expert Sleepers Silent Way Sync Issue

Post by philbrown »

I wish I could help you. I did a lot of this kind of stuff with my modular synth with both Volta (buggy) and syncing straight from DP to analog via 24io, but I never used Silent Way. I suspect there are only a handful of people here that are familiar with Silent Way. Are you on the Muff synth group? Expert Sleepers has a sub-group there and Os may be able to help you directly or maybe there's a helpful thread there already. I'm doctor vague on the Muff group.. FWIW I had issues with Volta>DP that I never resolved, so it may be a DP issue, but I realize that doesn't help you at all. IIRC correctly os (username) real name is Andrew Ostler and he's a super guy, very helpful.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewf ... cde7223131

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly are you trying to do?
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Hi Phil,

Thanks- Yes, I posted to muffwiggler as well and called and reported the problem to Motu. In the end I'm very happy the sync didn't work as I came up with a workaround sending looped MIDI notes through trigger plug ins to use as clock pulses for analog gear,a korg sq-1 and a korg mono/poly arpeggiator. (MIDI->sw trigger->RME adatout out->standalone traveler->synth sync/clock ins). The very cool thing about that is that I can quickly mess with the rhythms of the clocks. Except for that Silent Way seems to work very well through my traveler. I'm really having fun and finding some new places to go in analog land.

Best,

B
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

pencilina wrote:Hi Phil,

Thanks- Yes, I posted to muffwiggler as well and called and reported the problem to Motu. In the end I'm very happy the sync didn't work as I came up with a workaround sending looped MIDI notes through trigger plug ins to use as clock pulses for analog gear,a korg sq-1 and a korg mono/poly arpeggiator. (MIDI->sw trigger->RME adatout out->standalone traveler->synth sync/clock ins). The very cool thing about that is that I can quickly mess with the rhythms of the clocks. Except for that Silent Way seems to work very well through my traveler. I'm really having fun and finding some new places to go in analog land.

Best,

B
That's exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of. I used to send a bunch of sync pulses direct from DP (as audio not MIDI) using flat line 5ms WAV files out of a 24io and then select them at the modular and further process with a Moon trigger sequencer. Great fun! I wrote a long article about all that on Muff's years ago, but the pics all got hosed when iDisk went up in smoke, so it wouldn't make much sense now, but I dove in really deep into this whole area. Definitely enjoyed the tight timing of using audio sync vs MIDI for such things. I sold my modular and all my cool analog gear like an idiot and miss it like crazy these days. Check out my doctorvague videos sometime, if you're interested, especially this one as far as sync goes- where I'm sending 4 pulse trains out of the 24io into a DIY matrix switcher and on to the modular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87hR0hLZqpk
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Cool.
What a very nice processed bossanova!