Disk for Ivory Samples

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
apanacci
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Disk for Ivory Samples

Post by apanacci »

Hey guys, thinking of moving my Ivory and other samples to a USB 3.0 SSD external drive. I installed a PCIe card for USB 3. Do you think this is a good idea , thanks
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
HCMarkus

Re: Disk for Ivory Samples

Post by HCMarkus »

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

It comes down to simple numbers. If the continuous throughput of USB3 over PCI is faster than your internal SATA drives, then it's a good idea. I've been wanting to add USB3 to my 2012 Mac Pro. I've only held off because I haven't done the research to find out how it performs over PCI. Once I do, I've got about a dozen USB3 flash drives ranging up to 250 GB apiece which should be a lot of fun. Currently they run at USB2 speeds by default, and they never cease to amaze me by how much they hold. I'd be tempted to install something like Ivory on a 250 GB flash drive, just to see how well it performs. I get the slow-disk light in Ivory, even with my current setup, which is faster than I ever dreamed it could be.

USB3 is on my list of "wow" technologies to check out.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
davedempsey

Post by davedempsey »

I believe the PCI will be a bottleneck for USB3, but this scenario will provide more than twice the speed of USB2 - around 130MB/s for PCI. USB3 on a fully spec'd bus would be 10 times the speed of USB2. USB2 is around 60MB/s and USB3 around 640MB/s. I don't believe these are continous specs BTW - real world rates are most likely less.
Lots of stuff and a recently acquired ability to stop buying
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

davedempsey wrote:I believe the PCI will be a bottleneck for USB3, but this scenario will provide more than twice the speed of USB2 - around 130MB/s for PCI. USB3 on a fully spec'd bus would be 10 times the speed of USB2. USB2 is around 60MB/s and USB3 around 640MB/s. I don't believe these are continous specs BTW - real world rates are most likely less.
PCI isn't a bottleneck for USB3. The system Bus on the 2012 Mac Pro is well over USB3 specs, which in turn are faster than the SATA II speed of the internal SATA interface... USB 3 will slightly slow down the PCI buss according to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA ... interfaces

I'm running an m.2 SSD on a PCIe slot in a 2009 Mac Pro that hits 1100mbs, US3 will hit 400+mbs.

Most solid state drives are rated around 450mbs so USB is an option.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
davedempsey

Post by davedempsey »

oops - sorry that's right.... I was referring to conventional PCI specs :oops: . OP mentions PCIe - that should achieve close to max USB3 speed.
Lots of stuff and a recently acquired ability to stop buying