Move wiper to selection start?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
jonnicholls
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Move wiper to selection start?

Post by jonnicholls »

Hi all,

I was wondering if there was a quick way to get the playback wiper to jump to the start of a selection and stay there, so that I can then insert a marker precisely at the start of a soundbite. I'm trying to duplicate something I can do in PT, namely select a region, then immediately paste a marker at the start of it.

I guess another way of looking at it might be as the opposite to 'snap-soundbite-to-marker' - 'snap-marker-to-soundbite'.

Thanks in advance.

Jon
http://www.jonnicholls.com

DP 8.07, Mac OS 10.8.5, 2x2.8Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 16Gb RAM
Tim

Re: Move wiper to selection start?

Post by Tim »

Command-4
Control-M
Spacebar
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Tim wrote:2
Command-4
Control-M
Spacebar

To expand a little on Tim's otherwise very precise reply, I think he got the Spacebar out of order. I can't make it work in that particular order.

Command-4 sends the cursor back to the beginning of the selection, then plays. If you hit the spacebar right after Command-M, it will stop when it gets to the beginning of the selection.

Control-M gives you the Marker, plus a dialog to name it. Actually, that may be my custom command. I think originally Control-M just gave you the marker, then I switched it to "New Marker with Options" because I like adding markers and naming them on the fly. It's easier for me to go down the list of markers and change their locations to the first beat of a measure than it is to go back and name them. I can name them within 8 bars before the next one, and get them pretty close to the beat. Either way, you get a marker when you click Control-M.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Tim

Post by Tim »

To clarify: Step one, Number pad '2' = Pause.
One can repeat clicking soundbites and making markers while in Pause, then Spacebar when done.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Tim wrote:To clarify: Step one, Number pad '2' = Pause.
One can repeat clicking soundbites and making markers while in Pause, then Spacebar when done.
Well, Duh on me! For some odd reason, I thought you were just being economical and saying "2 commands, as follows:" But of course you meant Pause. Slow on the uptake here, but glad you clarified. I have to admit I was thrown off-guard by the remote possibility that you were in error. You've restored my blind faith in The Tim!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

I use the command: "Set Memory and Play selection" for this. I have it setup to CTL-SHFT-Spacebar.

You enable Auto-Rewind.
You select the soundbite.
Hit CTL-SHFT-Spacebar
Hit spacebar a second time.

The playhead is now at the beginning of the selected soundbite.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
dix

Post by dix »

I can't tell if this is what the posts suggest: After making a selection, Pause then Command-Spacebar will put the wiper at the selection start.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

dix wrote:I can't tell if this is what the posts suggest: After making a selection, Pause then Command-Spacebar will put the wiper at the selection start.
It's Control-Spacebar for me, but I may have changed the default. I wish there was a marker to show custom keybindings, as I change so many of them that I never know if I'm telling someone MY binding or the default binding. Anyway, if Command-Spacebar doesn't work, try Control-Spacebar.

Shooshie
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Shooshie wrote:
dix wrote:I can't tell if this is what the posts suggest: After making a selection, Pause then Command-Spacebar will put the wiper at the selection start.
It's Control-Spacebar for me, but I may have changed the default. I wish there was a marker to show custom keybindings, as I change so many of them that I never know if I'm telling someone MY binding or the default binding. Anyway, if Command-Spacebar doesn't work, try Control-Spacebar.

Shooshie
Both Command-4 and Control-Spacebar work the same way for me here, and I haven't changed any of these key bindings.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
jonnicholls

Post by jonnicholls »

Fantastic - thanks v much everyone!

Jon