Adobe Premiere to DP…HELP!!!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
HiGuy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Adobe Premiere to DP…HELP!!!

Post by HiGuy »

Hi. So I tried all of the options above and it didn't work so I opened the sound in adobe audition from dynamic ink in premiere. From there I exported an OMF with the extracted audio option.
And Voila! It opened in Digital Performer 9.
Hope this helps.
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Thank you very much!

I am going to use this in the future!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
vsoprod
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by vsoprod »

I work with OMFs from Premiere on a regular basis, just mixed ten episodes of a show for ESPN. DPs handling of OMFs isn't as good as it used to be but here's what works for me.

Have the Premiere project output to Adobe Audition.

Open in Audition and save as OMF. Use referenced files, embedded doesn't seem to work

Open in DP. Project opens with fades and crossfades, but no volume automation.
Most shows that not necessary as I start from scratch, but there are clients who do lots of automation that I'd like to us so this is what I have to do.

Open audition OMF in Pro Tools, make sure volume, pan is checked
Export OMF make sure Enforce Media Composer compatability is unchecked, the uncheck force to edit boundaries.
save both omf file and audio files into same folder.
Open this OMF in DP, it will have automation but no fades
Load the other DP OMF into this project
Copy clips from the sequence with fades and paste into sequence with automation.
Since I'm too lazy to figure out the paste command that won't overwrite automation I paste
the audio files at the end of the sequence and then hit send to original time stamp.
Pain in the ass? You bet, but it doesn't take that long and I have what I need. Just wish MOTU could get it together to make OMFs work as well as they did for OMFs from theold FCP.
BTW I've written to MOTU and the response was to tell Adobe to fix it. Adobe doesn't respond.
MacPro 12core 2.66GHZ, 32GB ram, UA Apollo Quad, DP9.12, OS 10.11.xx Waves, Nomad Factory, Drumagog, Autotune plugins.
Video card nVIDIA GTX 980 2GB memory
Mark Walmsley

Post by Mark Walmsley »

I've posted a few times about this. I have mixed hundreds of tv episodes exported from Premiere to DP.
This always works...
1. Don't have the audio embedded (it should be in a separate folder to the OMF)
2. Open your DP template
3. Drag the Premiere OMF onto the chunks window (wait a minute)
4. Drag all audio from the Premiere audio folder into the DP audio folder and
5. Wait a few moments for all the waveforms to draw
6. Voila!
Optional 7. I copy the audio from the OMF chunk to a clipping and then drag it back into my template chunk with buses already laid out
Mac-Pro 8 core 2010, OSX 10.9.5, Motu DP 8.07, Apollo firwire, TC Powercore Firewire. User since Performer on Macplus in 1988
Kara

Post by Kara »

Does anyone know how to go from
premiere to audition to digital performer (to do preliminary sound design for grants etc) but then still be able to go back from digital performer to premiere and continue editing.
I can get to performer but I can't get back to premiere with the same file names I started with.
Kara
Don T

Post by Don T »

Hello,
+1 for using Audition.

It really is the best round trip work flow.
1 button in Premier (edit > edit in Audition) to create an Audition session then export as either OMF or AAF and it will open in DP.
I bounce audio in DP and import the stems or mix into Premier.

*bingo*

I advise not to do any clip merging in Premier before you export. That way all of the source file names make their way into DP so you can easily sort through your sound files by name or date/time to find all available sources of associated audio.
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness