Adobe Premiere to DP…HELP!!!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Adobe Premiere to DP…HELP!!!

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Hi!

Can anyone out there tell me how to get an OMF, an AAF, an ANYTHING! transferred from Premiere to DP?

I've tried like ten different ways. Either DP crashes on import, or I see tracks but no actual audio in them, just empty "ghost" soundbites.

THANKS!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Adobe Premiere to DP…HELP!!!

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You have to imbed to audio. OMF & AFF don't actually have audio, just instructions on how it's placed and used.

Check the output settings in Premiere. Imbed or reference the audio. If its referenced, the OMF or AFF needs to be in the same folder so the file knows where to find the actual data.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Thanks.

Just tried that.

The OMF is about 1.2 GB, which tells me that the audio is embedded.

DP tries to open it and crashes every time on import.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
MIDI Life Crisis

Try dragging the OMF into the Tracks Overview window. It does seem like the audio is in there. You might also try using OPEN instead of IMPORT.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

It's getting closer, but not there yet.

By the way, thanks for your help!

What is finally working is dragging the OMF into the chunks window.

If I drag an audio-embedded OMF, I just get an error message from DP.

If I drag an OMF from a folder where the audio is in a separate linked file/folder, I get the OMF showing up as a chunk.

The tracks are there and in place in the tracks window, but they are just grey bars with no waveforms.

I get a ton of soundbites in the soundbites window, but none of them will play. They have two red marks in the DSP column, and also a red mark in the MV column.

I do have DP set to convert audio on import.
MIDI Life Crisis

DP may still be processing them or you may need to check you conversion setting in preferences (or change the session sample rate and format to match the imported files).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
apanacci

Post by apanacci »

I have posted a few times about OMF not working in DP. Just recently I tried again and does the same thing. What you can try is download Audio Desk 4 off of the MOTU website. Open it in there and save as a DP file. Try that and let me know how it works out. It worked for me at this time.
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Thanks I'll try that.

I saved from Premiere in every possible permutation of OMF and AAF, but had no luck in DP. I thought it might be a frame-rate issue, but changing that in DP did not help.

I'll try AudioDesk. I've actually never heard of it! but I'll look on MOTU's site.

Thanks again!
zuul-studios

Post by zuul-studios »

If you are working on your own project (with your software programs), how about just exporting a "regular" audio/video file from Premiere? Recently, I've exported a 1+ hour long ".mov" video and DP 8 handled it quite well. No problems at all. Yes, the video file is big. Lately, I have been archiving the entire project(s) on my archive HDD and then erase the completed project(s) from my working SSD. I never run out of room on the working SSD despite the size of the video. I am not working with anyone else. It is just little old me working on the entire video projects from beginning to end (including the film-scoring). Because of this, I do not have to worry about any kind of compatibility issues. If you're collaborating with others, I guess this suggestion may not be the best one. But if you are working on your own projects from beginning to end, why not just export the video in full format using a codec like ".mov" which both Premiere and DP 8 seem to handle well? (To be honest, it never occurred to me to use "OMF" or "AAF". . . but I am not an advanced video maker.)
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.4.1; 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
vsoprod

Post by vsoprod »

For me Premiere OMF to DP is a mess. I've been doing FCP to DP flawlessly for years, includes crossfades and automation.
Since all my clients have switched to Premiere its become hit and miss, mostly miss.
Here's what happens for me:
1. Embedded just doesn't work
2. For referenced audio, I open omf in DP, gray lines. Close DP put audio files in DP audio files folder open DP. Sometimes it just opens but most of the time it asks me to find a file, which then opens all files. If I'm lucky that's it, but.....
3. Most of the time it wants to set the project to a sample rate other than what the OMF was. Which results in having to trash all the above work and try again. Usually works. I've gotten to where I open all OMFs from my laptop which still has 7.24.
4. It imports crossfades but not audio levels. Crossfades are not always correct.
I've traded emails with MOTU and they've confirmed these as problems and don't seem too interested in improving compatability with Premiere. For some reason they're stuck on FCP 7 which no one I know uses anymore.
Sadly for me I have now moved to using Adobe Audition for Audio Post. It reads all level and crossfade info perfectly. It nowhere near as full functioned as DP but it gets the job done. I'm hoping MOTU gets their compatibility with Premiere worked out.
MacPro 12core 2.66GHZ, 32GB ram, UA Apollo Quad, DP9.12, OS 10.11.xx Waves, Nomad Factory, Drumagog, Autotune plugins.
Video card nVIDIA GTX 980 2GB memory
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Thanks!

Are you saying that 7.24 will open an OMF?

Not a perfect solution, but I could open it in 7.24, save it, then open it in 8.xx?

Thanks again!
apanacci

Post by apanacci »

Its hit and miss. ^,7 and now 8 do not work for me. I have had no problems in PT. In all 3 versions it work a couple of times at the beginning then never works after that. Even though I suggested Audio Desk it may do the same thing. Good luck with that.
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

I work with video guys all the time and we figured out (somehow) that if you export the video / audio project as AAF, then open it in Pro Tools, then EXPORT out of Pro Tools as a new AAF project, it comes into DP. Something happens in those conversions that makes it work that does not work if I try to import the original AAF from the video project. Of course, you need a working copy of PTs.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
dix

Post by dix »

apanacci wrote:I have posted a few times about OMF not working in DP. Just recently I tried again and does the same thing. What you can try is download Audio Desk 4 off of the MOTU website. Open it in there and save as a DP file. Try that and let me know how it works out. It worked for me at this time.
Hmm. So there's no reliable way to open OMFs or AAFs in DP without PT?! Did anyone try this AudioDesk solution?
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

It's been a few years since I worked with OMF, and that was when file-sharing with a band partner who used Sonar on Windows. As suggested above, dragging to chunks can be more effective or reliable.

One suggestion might be to do just that, see what got pulled in correctly and what didn't (as the OMF is more about project structure and settings), then, as necessary, individually drag in audio files from the Adobe project.

Of course it helps a lot to zero and consolidate all audio tracks. Disc space is cheap these days, so it's worth the "wasted" disc space for silent sections, just to avoid hassle, incompatibilities, time stamp issues, etc.

I have to pull in an Adobe legacy project from Windows soon myself, but the client hasn't told me which product yet (he just said "Adobe" but that could mean one of about three or four products). I may also still have an older OMF I can try in DP 9 to check current status.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH