Split a 5.1 Logic file

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
rosindabow
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Split a 5.1 Logic file

Post by rosindabow »

I have a 5.1 file that came from a Logic session and it only has data on the first 2 tracks. (The person that I'm getting the file from screwed up) I cannot seem to figure out how to break apart this file so I can retrieve just the needed stereo data. I cannot even play it as the file I have is just a normal stereo file. Any thoughts?
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
bayswater

Re: Split a 5.1 Logic file

Post by bayswater »

In the waveform editor you can select specific channels and sections of a sound file, and create a new audio file based on the selection. This is mentioned here in many thread on how to create mono files from stereo files. Might work here.

What I don't understand is that you say at the start of the post that you have a 5.1 file, and at the end that you have a stereo file. Which is it?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
rosindabow

Re: Split a 5.1 Logic file

Post by rosindabow »

They had accidentally bounced a stereo file as a surround sound 5.1 file. So, what I want is a stereo file - it could be interleaved or de-interleaved, I don't care.

I went back to the person that bounced it and asked for them to redo it and they did ... so I am able to work. However, I am still unsure how to do this if it ever happened again.
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...