Tracks Overview Display Anomaly

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Tracks Overview Display Anomaly

Post by Rick Cornish »

Anyone come across this one?

In a MIDI track, I enter simple MIDI data driving a loop (say, one 8-beat note covering 2 bars of 4/4 time). When I repeat the data in the measures immediately following, the display in the Tracks Overview makes it look like the repeated note is a shorter duration, though the part plays back correctly. If I take one tick off the duration of the preceding note, the TO display reflects the correct duration. Is this a known display bug?

Thanks, as always.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Michael Canavan

Re: Tracks Overview Display Anomaly

Post by Michael Canavan »

Considering that the Tracks Overview also shows parsed MIDI files overlapping onto the next measure at further out Zoom setting I'm not surprised the opposite also happens. Is the look consistent with the zoom setting? In my experience a busy MIDI track that ends before the next measure will look like it overlaps into the next measure when zoomed out, when zoomed in the GUI overlap disappears.

My guess is if you zoom out the parsed MIDI data will look like it ends exactly at the end of the measure, but zoomed in it looks like it ends early. basically it seems that the TO overcompensates in both directions when it comes to parting out MIDI data into something like what other DAWs do with MIDI.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Hi Michael. Thanks for the reply. The zoom setting has no effect on the display glitch I'm seeing.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Are you talking about a repeated note, or a loop?
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Hi Shooshie...
It's a repeated note, like…

92|1|000 A3 127 16|000
96|1|000 A3 127 16|000

The note at bar 96 appears to be about 1 beat long in the TO.
Rick Cornish

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Yeah, that's some kind of bug. The slightest overlap will cause that. If they are both perfectly 16 beats long, each starting at 1|01|000, then they will display correctly. I don't know why DP has grown so cranky about overlapping MIDI notes. That should not happen. But it does. I forget about it, because I've just learned not to let notes overlap, but I didn't used to have to do that.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Yes—either a bug or a "feature"… depending on who you talk to! :?
Rick Cornish

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Rick Cornish wrote:Yes—either a bug or a "feature"… depending on who you talk to! :?
:lol: