Send Levels default to minus ∞ ?!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Tinu_CH
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Send Levels default to minus ∞ ?!

Post by Tinu_CH »

Hello everyone!

I'm looking into changing from PT to DP. So i'm i total newbie. Trying to watch tutorials and reading the manual as we speak. However, i couldn't figure out how to configure my sends to minus infinity. AFAIK, it's not even mentioned in the manual. Or i'm searching in the wrong spot.

Could someone please help?

Thanks
FMiguelez

Re: Send Levels default to minus ∞ ?!

Post by FMiguelez »

A lot of us have been asking for that behaviour to change, but we´ve had no luck thus far. As of now, DP defaults its new channel sends to unity.

-You can create a channel, set its sends to minus infinity, and duplicate your tracks from there as needed.
- Or you can use a template or clippings that were previously set to the way you like.
- Or you can show all your tracks in the mixer, and by pressing and holding letter w, you can set ALL the channels´ sends in one fell swoop.

Not the ideal thing, but at least we have very quick work arounds.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Tinu_CH

Post by Tinu_CH »

Thanks for your reply - i guess i can make do with a template.

The w-key curiously only works with faders, but not with send levels. Where might the problem be?
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Make sure the sends is checked as an option in the Group Settings box (you can look for the command in the Commands Window - Shift-L).

There´s an option to default the temporary groups (accessed by holding the w and t keys) to whatever you select in there.
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Tinu_CH

Post by Tinu_CH »

Thanks a lot mate! Works :)

Can someone elaborate, if there's a way to change all sends in a row to Pre-Fade? Another thing i just can't find, is how to insert the same plugin to multiple tracks. Any inputs?

thanks
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Tinu_CH wrote:Thanks a lot mate! Works :)
I'm glad you're enjoying that feature 8)
Tinu_CH wrote:Can someone elaborate, if there's a way to change all sends in a row to Pre-Fade?
If there's no parameter for it in the temporary Groups window, then I don't know if it's possible.
But a well though-out template could resolve that.
Tinu_CH wrote:Another thing i just can't find, is how to insert the same plugin to multiple tracks. Any inputs?
Not like a global command, but an easy way to achieve this is to duplicate the plug from another channel (or your presets menu). You do this by option-dragging plugins between channels and rows. This duplicates them. Note that it can be done individually or with full chains of plugs.

Clippings are another option (you can access them at the top of the mixer menu).