Laptop keyboard shortcuts

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Luichy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Laptop keyboard shortcuts

Post by Luichy »

Hello

I always forget how to change keyboard shortcuts in DP to work with a laptop. Does anyone remember?

I remember I go to some settings and assign them, but somehow I don't remember where is it located.

Thanks
stubbsonic

Re: Laptop keyboard shortcuts

Post by stubbsonic »

Go to the setup menu and choose commands.

Also take note of the "Masters" in that list. Knowing about those can help when your shortcuts seem to stop working.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Luichy

Post by Luichy »

stubbsonic wrote:Go to the setup menu and choose commands.

Also take note of the "Masters" in that list. Knowing about those can help when your shortcuts seem to stop working.
Thanks for the response.

I already knew where the Commands menu was. But I kind of remember (or maybe I'm delusional) that there was an option somewhere where I could assign a laptop specific shortcut map in which recording was made with the ⌘3 shortcut and rewind with ⌥1.

BTW Could you explain what the "Masters" are? I'm kinda newbie in that area.

Thank you.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

In the DP preferences, the file that affects this is the Key Bindings file. I don't remember the exact name, but it might be that, or something similar. You'll find it easily.

Duplicate that file by Option-Dragging it to the desktop.
Store that file in a folder called "DP Key Bindings, Desktop Computer"
Open DP and set up the keys for your laptop.
Now, drag THAT version of the file to the desktop and store it in a folder named "DP Key Bindings, Laptop."

Now you'll have a copy of each. Any time you change your key bindings in either computer, update your copies.

The version for the laptop goes in... guess which computer? :lol:
Basically, you'll keep the preferences for those versions in their respective computers in the DP Preferences folder, and neither will alter the other.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yes. Key Bindings is right. And, you can do some of that file management from within the commands window itself. There are export and import commands in the mini-menu.

As for the Masters, I'd recommend reading the manual on that. Basically you can use keystrokes & MIDI messages to turn various sets of COMMANDS on and off. There are little checkboxes on the top of the commands list that let you enable & disable manually.

The main thing is sometimes you can accidentally turn off a master and suddenly none of your shortcuts work. Just open up the commands window and see what master got shut off (usually).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Centris

Post by Centris »

I need some help with Commands (key bindings). Everything seems to have a mind of its own now. I had the Chunks Key Binding problem and deleted that. But now I have Play, Start, Record, etc on MIDI Commands that I didn't set. I thought my drums were broken as nothing was working right.

So I went and did a Revert to Default in the Commands Window. And after deleting those MIDI Commands it put them back. I can't imagine these were there before, because I would have noticed playing the keyboard. Also a few in the Transport section are duplicate keys. Any idea on what to do to fix this? :?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Centris, have a look at MIDI Masters on page 92 of the manual. You can turn MIDI control of commands on and off using this.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Centris

Post by Centris »

Thanks bayswater! That took care of it. I had the Master Master Command enabled, which caused all the problems. I actually had read through that part of the manual, but obviously didn't grasp the concept of enable - disable. I thought disabling would remove the commands from the MIDI boxes. Also a suggestion for Motu would be to have some sort of background highlight (showing its enabled or not) in those MIDI Control fields. Those are small check boxes and I must have accidentally hit that checkbox when I was fixing the F#2 problem with my trackpad. Thanks again.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

If there is some reason you really want to remove them, rather than just disable them, you can create and save a set of key bindings where they are all removed. Then you can always load a different set where they are in the command lists if you want to use them.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Luichy

Post by Luichy »

Thanks everyone. I recently found out that I was confused with the shortcuts of another music software. Everything cool now.