Snap to soundbite edge?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Snap to soundbite edge?

Post by philbrown »

Is there any way or tool-modifier combo that will enable the cursor to snap to a Soundbite edge? The video programs I've used have an option to snap to a clip edge when you hover close it. That would be extremely helpful in the editing work I do, but I'm thinking there's no way to do that in DP. Prove me wrong, someone.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Dwetmaster

Re: Snap to soundbite edge?

Post by Dwetmaster »

Just .Throw the soundbites.
Holding CTL button you drag a bit in the direction you want and you release the mouse button. Hard to explain but easy to do once you get it.

Maybe lookup the manual for "Throwing Soundbites"
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Dwetmaster wrote:Just .Throw the soundbites.
Holding CTL button you drag a bit in the direction you want and you release the mouse button. Hard to explain but easy to do once you get it.

Maybe lookup the manual for "Throwing Soundbites"
Thanks, I know about that. I'll try to explain better.
Say I already have made an edit point where 2 soundbite edges meet. I want to select a second or two after that back to that soundbite edge and do a snip. If I fall 1 pixel short of the EXACT soundbite edge I end up creating an unwanted extremely small soundbite that's hard (or impossible) to see visually (unless zoomed way in), but prevents me from making a crossfade at that point since there are actually two soundbite junctions. This may seem academic but it's a real-world example of something I run into every day. Also I realize there are workarounds to this but all the ones I can think of involve several extra steps.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I get it. There's ways to make the soundbite edge jump to the cursor, but not the other way around.

I wonder if you could combine some selection range maneuvers to capture the location of the start without the cursor.

Still, having a command where you select a soundbite and tap a little command for "Snap cursor to start/end of region" would be VERY useful.

I'm looking forward to a tip on this (Shooshie?). I always select the SB then zoom so far in that the cursor is sample quantized. But that's not really a workable solution.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

There's a command to have the selection become the start/end time for playback. You could use that. Set a marker for the top of the section you're working on to return to the initial position (ie where you were before setting the start time to the selection).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:There's a command to have the selection become the start/end time for playback. You could use that. Set a marker for the top of the section you're working on to return to the initial position (ie where you were before setting the start time to the selection).
Thanks, and that leads to other ideas.
Lots of options as far as Commands go.
I need to start using the last one, grow to all tracks.

daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

My old workaround is:
- set transport in Pause
- select soundbite
- wiper to soundbite start thru Cmd+4
- wiper to soundbite end thru Cmd+6
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

Not sure I understand well but,
Here are a few commands I use all the time to navigate.

Set Memory and Play selection.: This is a command I use ALL the time. I have it setup to CTL-SHFT-Spacebar. Easily done with my pinkie and my thumb on the spacebar.
That command will move the playhead wherever your insertion point or selection start is. by leaving Memory RWD on and quickly hitting the command and then the spacebar right after, you can move your playhead wherever you want. So you click a soundbite once to select it and you do my trick to get the playhead at the start of the soundbite.

I use my Playhead/Counter to all my "spotting"
Then using a combination of:
-Set Selection start to Counter
-Set Selection End to Counter
-Move Insertion Point to Counter
-Set Selection to Memory

I can freely set my time selection however I want. Actually, I rarely use my mouse to set a time selection as I find it too imprecise.

I'm sorry If I didn't understand your question well.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Forgive me if someone else has already said it. I've got a headache and don't feel like reading all the replies.
  • 1) I-Click the soundbite where you want to make the snip (That's clicking as an I-Beam)
    2) OPTION-SHIFT-TAB
    3) COMMAND-J
You're done.

Step two is "Move selection start to previous event." I tell you that in case my command is not the default.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Great info here. Thanks for the ideas! :idea:

philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Does anyone know what the round symbol in the first 2 commands is?
I keep a symbol guide handy, but that one's not on there.

philbrown wrote: Image

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Probably Keypad-Dot.

As opposed to keyboard-period.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

philbrown wrote:Great info here. Thanks for the ideas! :idea:
Not just an idea. It's the answer you asked for. That's how MOTU set it up to do that.

Shoosh