RESOLVED: issues with new SampleTank 3.5 update

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Apparently resolved: issues with new SampleTank 3.5 upda

Post by mhschmieder »

Yeah, every vendor is different. I've had bad luck in the past with MOST vendors if I try to update sounds before the app. But this gets back to the lack of instructions for this update. I'm used to downloads including such a file; I could not find one for this update so had to guess. The user manual has some, but they are incomplete.

As for USB license dongles, I still have mixed feelings, because every now and then DP crashes when a plug can't find its iLok license -- usually when I'm closing out my work and shutting down. But I do much prefer their new system.

The eLicenser thing is still SLOW but not a bad as before. And given the choice, I'll pick iLok (when the vendor offers both of the major license keys), then eLicenser, and then challenge/response. I've even lost track of which vendors allow you to skip the license key, but I know iZotope is one of them, yet I stubbornly stuck to the iLok and I think that keeps me "locked" into that license type from now on.

In their favor, IKM has gotten better over the years. It used to be a PITA to go to your account and individually download umpteen updates for related products (such as each effects in the T-RackS suite). So, the Custom Shop approach is much superior, and though there are a few kinks in this latest SampleTank update, moving it to the Custom Shop should help when they finally get around to upgrading the related products such as SampleMoog and SampleTron (plus Miroslav and SonikSynth).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Apparently resolved: issues with new SampleTank 3.5 upda

Post by mhschmieder »

I uninstalled SampleTank 3 tonight and re-did in the recommended order, starting with the 3.5 sound library and then reinstalling SampleTank 3.5.1. This cleared up all my glitches.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH