Show Soundbite in Sequence Editor

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
ghobish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Show Soundbite in Sequence Editor

Post by ghobish »

There has to be a way to do this, but I can't find it in the manual. I want to be able to select a soundbite in the Soundbites window, and show it in the Sequence Editor. Right clicking on soundbite will allow me to reveal it in the finder (and various other functions), but not show me where it is used in the sequence editor.

Thanks.
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Show Soundbite in Sequence Editor

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Gary, Gary, Gary... :rtfmmad: LOL

DP MENUS>EDIT>SEARCH>SEARCH ALL SOUND BITES

Double click the SB in question and it pops into view in the SE.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

You never call me anymore... you never visit... what am I supposed to think, that you don't love me anymore? Oye!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Gary, Gary, Gary... :rtfmmad: LOL

That works, thanks. It would still be better if there was a "Show in Sequence Editor" as a contextual menu item from the soundbites window. Kind of silly NOT to have that.
Gary Hobish
San Francisco, Ca

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:You never call me anymore... you never visit... what am I supposed to think, that you don't love me anymore? Oye!

Mama... I AM calling!
Gary Hobish
San Francisco, Ca

MIDI Life Crisis

ghobish wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Gary, Gary, Gary... :rtfmmad: LOL

That works, thanks. It would still be better if there was a "Show in Sequence Editor" as a contextual menu item from the soundbites window. Kind of silly NOT to have that.
Maybe in DP9? And where is that DP9, I asks ya!

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

Now if only there was a way to select a soundbite in the sequence editor and have it selected in the soundbite window at the same time...
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
Pro Tools 2018.7//LPX 10.4.1//DP 9.51
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Morpheo wrote:Now if only there was a way to select a soundbite in the sequence editor and have it selected in the soundbite window at the same time...
Morpheo! How's the beautiful city on the St. Lawrence?

I'm about 90% sure that there used to be a command to get you from the Sequence Editor (or maybe the Tracks Overview?) to the Soundbite Window. Not the same as selecting one and the other being selected (which would be GREAT), but it's a way. The trouble is... I don't remember the command. Maybe someone else does.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:The trouble is... I don't remember the command. Maybe someone else does.

Shooshie
Can't find it!

I'm sure I've been able to find Soundbites in one window by selecting them in the other -- select an item in the soundbite window and enter a command to "show in SE" or something like that.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
rickorick

Post by rickorick »

If you're in the sequence window and click on the soundbite and then hold down command option control and hit L the soundbite will highlight in the soundbite window but not the other way around.
Used 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 Core 16g ram 10.8.5 DP 7.24
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

rickorick wrote:If you're in the sequence window and click on the soundbite and then hold down command option control and hit L the soundbite will highlight in the soundbite window but not the other way around.
Thanks for the reminder.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

Shooshie wrote:Morpheo! How's the beautiful city on the St. Lawrence?
Hey Shooshie! :)

Well it's still winter up here and I just can't stand it anymore! If I see one more snowflake falling from the sky things will get ugly :mrgreen:

[edit: tried to send you a pm but somehow it stays in my outbox :? ??]
Last edited by Morpheo on Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Pro 5,1 12-core 2.4 GHz//40GB RAM//RX 560//macOS 10.13.6//SSDs//MOTU 896//Keylab 88//Faderport 8
NI Komplete Ultimate 11//Albion One//Soundiron Choirs//Pianoteq//Analog Lab//VSL SE & Chamber Strings//etc
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

rickorick wrote:If you're in the sequence window and click on the soundbite and then hold down command option control and hit L the soundbite will highlight in the soundbite window but not the other way around.
Thanks this could come handy.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Last night I decided I was going to master the keyboard commands for soundbites once and for all. I spent an hour trying every combination in each of the windows, clicking with each combination, trying to see if there was something I missed. What I found was a very confusing set of commands that sometimes have exceptions to their own rules; a labyrinth of paths to get where you want, if you want the right thing, which sometimes go there and sometimes don't. But after a while, it started to make sense. The key was finding, well... the key.

What I also found was that the addition of the OPTION-ZOOM feature, whereby the option key added just about anywhere will cause a click to zoom the window, is responsible for getting in the way of some of the commands we remember from long ago. I'm going to recommend to MOTU that they make the OPTION-ZOOM click a preference. I just have a suspicion that it's stolen more commands from us than we remember. Whether they listen to me is up to them, of course.

I never found a click that will take me to the Soundbites Window, but Command—Double-Click on a soundbite will take you to the Waveform Editor. (any "click" grouping with COMMAND in it will open the Waveform Editor from a soundbite in the Sequence Editor)

In the Tracks Overview Window, Control-Option-DoubleClick will take you to the Event List. Anything highlighted in any edit window will also be highlighted in the Event List. The Tracks window also has a twist: you can click high or low in a cell with slightly different selection results. Double-Clicking high (cursor is a + sign) will select that cell or bar in the soundbite in the Sequence Editor. Double-clicking low (cursor is an arrow) will select the whole soundbite. I don't know if any other commands make use of this differentiation in MIDI or Audio. I've always known about the double-clicking/selection difference, but I haven't tested every possible command-click with them. Needs doing; you never know.

Did you know you can replace a soundbite in the Event List with another soundbite, using a menu that drops down when you click the soundbite? Much faster than copying and pasting. Just CONTROL-OPTION-DOUBLE_CLICK the soundbite in the Tracks Overview (which opens the event list to that soundbite), or hit SHIFT-E (does the same) then double-click on the soundbite, and a menu will drop down. Find the soundbite you want to replace it with and click it. Done.

I looked for a command of any kind that will take a soundbite in the Soundbites Window and show you where it's being used. In a file with 20 chunks, some of which have soundbites with similar names, that's hard to know. I didn't find one. Maybe someone else knows of one.

If you want to open the Soundbites Window with the currently selected soundbite highlighted, you have to use COMMAND-OPTION-CONTROL-L. This works from any window where you can see soundbites, except that if you're in the Waveform Editor, it only opens the Soundbites Window; it doesn't select the soundbite.

I was going to list how each key-modifier—click works in each window (not just for soundbites), but I think it would take a chart or spreadsheet to adequately cover the subject. Don't have time for that right now, but maybe someday. Anyone else want to dive in? There's always room down here in the trenches for another shoveler. :lol: I think this is something that should be an insert in the DP manual, or at least a PDF, but it does not really exist as far as I know. We need that. All the major commands in each window, in a clear, easy to use spreadsheet, describing exact behavior. I'll get to it sometime, but if anyone beats me to it... well... bless you! Maybe we can at least collaborate.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Morpheo

Post by Morpheo »

Shooshie wrote: I looked for a command of any kind that will take a soundbite in the Soundbites Window and show you where it's being used. In a file with 20 chunks, some of which have soundbites with similar names, that's hard to know. I didn't find one. Maybe someone else knows of one.

If you want to open the Soundbites Window with the currently selected soundbite highlighted, you have to use COMMAND-OPTION-CONTROL-L. This works from any window where you can see soundbites, except that if you're in the Waveform Editor, it only opens the Soundbites Window; it doesn't select the soundbite.
And since it works for multiple selections, when you have to export stems as audio files this will do just fine. 8)