Show Soundbite in Sequence Editor

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Show Soundbite in Sequence Editor

Post by stubbsonic »

Shooshie wrote: I was going to list how each key-modifier—click works in each window (not just for soundbites), but I think it would take a chart or spreadsheet to adequately cover the subject. Don't have time for that right now, but maybe someday. Anyone else want to dive in? There's always room down here in the trenches for another shoveler. :lol:
Shooshie
That's a nice idea. It would potentially be a sprawling spreadsheet (what's that called? "compound alliteration"?) But I guess that's what hiding functions are for. It would also be helpful to really plan the most optimum layout of the spreadsheet. For example, column headers could be:
CATEGORY | SHORTCUT-FUNCTION | DESCRIPTION-NOTE | NO MODIFIER | COMMAND | SHIFT | OPTION | CONTROL-OPTION | etc. etc.

Would it make sense to create a Google doc for starters? Then get some folks involved in editing? Obviously, this would be factory defaults only, and probably limit it to DP7, 8 & 9. (Color code for version-specific Commands).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

What exactly would be in this spreadsheet? If I understand Shooshie's post it would show what happens when you click in a window with a modifier key pressed. That doesn't seem to be so complicated. Or is it all keyboard shortcuts?

I have a spreadsheet that has each of the basic keys as row headers and all the combinations of the modifiers as column headers. The cells show the name of the commands that key combination invokes, and what section of the Commands list it comes from. It's for DP 7, and some of it is gabled because the character set for the number keys didn't translate properly to the sheet, but if it sounds useful to anyone, I'll upload it. It's in Numbers.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I think it would make sense to combine your commands spreadsheet (perhaps using a font with proper mac keycaps) with all the special, window-specific, hardwired functions that are baked into the app.

I'd add a |CONTEXT| column to the spreadsheet to show where a particular function works, as well as a |TARGET| to show upon what you click to achieve said action.

Additionally, any key-combination that competes with some Mac OS default could be color coded so a person would know to head into the System Preferences to de-activate.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I was thinking that in the top row we'd list windows, and in the left column we'd list all the different combinations of Command, Option, Shift, Control, Caps-Lock, with a Click, and any other form of alternative click, such as clicking high (range) or clicking low (cell or region) in a cell in the Tracks Overview Window, or clicking with various tools, and their behaviors.

For example, in the Sequence Editor there are three types of range drags:
  • 1) drag in the timeline
    2) Control-Option-drag
    3) I-Beam drag
Each selects a range, but with each one there is greater constraint. The first selects all tracks, for the range you drag. The 2nd selects range within the track you start in, plus any adjacent, contiguous tracks you pull down or up for. The 3rd selects a range ONLY in the track in which you start the drag.

Then there are Range ONLY selections and Event ONLY selections (Preferences/Edit/Tools/drop-down-menu), and Range & Event selections. Each alters the clicking commands a little.

There are some commands that are possible if you trick DP into accepting the Option Key, without zooming when you click. You start by holding down Command & Shift. Then add Option. If the cursor does not change to a magnifying glass, you can then release Command & Shift (or whichever one you need to release), and you get an Option-Click command that was there long before the zoom came in with its all-encompassing over-ride of the Option key commands.

Those kinds of exceptions are good to know.

Might also put some window-specific commands or actions (not just clicks) such as lines mode, bar mode, and point mode in the MIDI Editor, or the Soundbite Replacement option/menu in the Event List.

Rather than a commands-guide, it might become more of a DP-Windows guide. Or both. It's time that all the information of that type should appear in one place.

If we were to work on it together, what would be the best app for it? Excel? Numbers? I like the database in Excel, along with the ability to include links and pictures you can click for external access to files.I also like the formatting flexibility in Excel. I haven't used Numbers in a couple versions, so I don't know if they've added any more features, but it used to be pretty bare-bones. I'd go with Excel, personally, but if others were going to work on it, they might not own Excel.

I was also thinking about doing it in Illustrator.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

In the interest of being able to combine this with the Commands list, and in the interest of keeping this a "tall" document rather than a "wide" one, that's why I'd opt for putting the various key combos along the top and the various functions down the side.

It would also allow to sort by window, context, or any of those other headings I listed.

I think color-coding the re-mappable commands differently than the hard-wired ones will make it easier follow.

But I don't have a clear picture in my head about how all this will look.

frankf

Show Soundbite in Sequence Editor

Post by frankf »

This sounds like a relatively simple spreadsheet. I've been working on a non music project where I use Numbers and they use Excel. The back and forth works well even when there are formulas and multiple sheets in a file. What about Google docs? I don't have much experience with it but if there are several people working on it...
I would use this to avoid conflicts with other programs and to troubleshoot. I would think that the spreadsheet would have to be able to be customized by each user. How many of us have changed OS or DP commands? What about room for KM or QT commands or triggers? Or small background apps like Default Folder key commands? I would add rows or columns to accommodate my workflow. It would be very cool. You could search and sort by opt, CTRL, combinations, things you can't do now in the commands window.
Maybe the way to get this done quickly for DP commands and OS commands is to decide on an initial spreadsheet format and divide copying in DP commands by section among willing participants. If everyone works with the same template, it would be easy to combine into one Master.
How's this for starter columns, order can be changed of course.
Command Name, 1 row per command
Application scope (DP, OS, other)
DP Commands section
DP menu, mini menu or toolbar
Window scope ( which windows command works in)
Description of Action (including clicking Hi or Low or similar)
Key Trigger 1
Key Trigger 2
MIDI Trigger 1
MIDI Trigger 2
User Comments

You could then sort easily. Conventions must be set for Command, Option, Control, Click, etc. like Cmd, Opt, CTRL, Clk (caps or lower case) and order of these, Cmd-Opt-Clk as opposed to Opt-Cmd- Clk for instance. Instructions like clicking hi or low could be in the Description field.

I'd be willing to set up a spreadsheet as I describe with a few entries as a first pass for comments. I'd do it in Numbers and export to Excel also and post it somewhere. What do you all think?

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

Morpheo wrote:Now if only there was a way to select a soundbite in the sequence editor and have it selected in the soundbite window at the same time...
There is, it's CTRL+ALT+CMD+L

Select the soundbite in the sequence editor then hits the above keys and the soundbites window opens with those files selected. It works for multiple files selected too.

Cheers

Sean
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

OOPS Sorry guys, didn't get down the page far enough to realise someone and already answered
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

OOPS Sorry guys, didn't get down the page far enough to realise someone and already answered. Jeez is this ever an old post

Double OOPS it came thru as an email from Tapatalk as "latest discussions on your forum".

Oh well that's me all over..... I'd be late for my own funeral!!