Wish I could key bind...

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
SMS
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Wish I could key bind...

Post by SMS »

I constantly need to toggle Input Quantizing and InputFilter>Mono Pressure on/off while editing and overdubbing. I really wish I could create key commands for those.

At least it would be nice to be able to put those windows in the CW. Also don't get why the Input Filter window is modal...

I've always used QuicKeys for these functions, but the latest version is not too reliable.

Do any of you know of an easier way to toggle these?

Thanks

Bill
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Wish I could key bind...

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

A little off track, but I would suggest moving to Keyboard Maestro. I fought it for years, having been a died in the wool Keys guy, but once I learned KM I was sold. It's far better than QK, IMO, and I'm sure it can handle something like that. $36 and you're done! Well, maybe not "done" done as you need to learn the program - which I found a little tricky at first. But once you get the hang of the layout it gets easier than QK to set up stuff fast.

http://www.keyboardmaestro.com/main/
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
SMS

Post by SMS »

If it works for this, I'll gladly pony up the $40.

Update- just installed it, created the macros, and they work like a charm. Thanks for the tip.

I see I can actually send MIDI events with it... Hmm...... possibilities!

Bill
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Cool! I don't know why I waited so long. I love QK but it's at the end of it's useful life now and an update is not forthcoming. Glad you're having success with KM. The forum is awesome. The developer is quick to help - even if his style is bit "direct" (he pulls no punches and seems to loose his temper) but in fact, he's just quite direct. No coddling. No BS. I like that.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

I've been using ControllerMate for 10 years. It handles all my keyboard scripting, custom macros, etc...

I even used it to rebuild an alphatrack custom driver for my RME totalmix interface. Works great.

A big + compared to all the others is that CM integrate both USB input devices AND MIDI devices.

So you can:
1- Trigger a Key command action from your MIDI keyboard
2- Trigger a MIDI action from your USB Input device.

It can also interact with complex applescript for the more adventurous people.

Oh and it is 25$

Look it up.
http://www.orderedbytes.com/
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Glad to hear KM is working for you, MLC. Am I recalling correctly that you had some "deal-breaker" problems before? (or am I thinking of someone else?)

Maybe we start a new thread comparing QK and KM, with pros & cons & features.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
frankf

Post by frankf »

The big difference, from what I've read, is that QK's future development is in doubt and KM's is not. I left QK for KM the last time there was a serious question about its future and haven't found it lacking. There's a learning curve if you're coming from QK, but once I learned the workflow, I find it easy to build macros that I need for DP. I've been singing KM praises here for a while and have enjoyed MLC's transition journey in particular. It echoes my own experience. Maybe a little like someone switching from another DAW to DP, but on a much smaller scale, although, on the programming end, above my head, there' slot under KM's hood that I've never touched. Never heard of ControllerMate until your post. I'll put it on the list to check out when I find some free time.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
frankf

Post by frankf »

Oh, to Dwetmaster: KM can use MIDI events as triggers, I don't know about triggering a MIDI action from a USB device. I'll have to check that out. For the first, however, you can set MIDI triggers for any DP key command right in DP's Commands window, so I'm not sure how I'd use that feature unless I needed to set up a sequence of KM Actions.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

The is to be able to do Keyboard actions and routines from a MIDI device and vice versa.

Using DP live, you can control DP, Change the page from your charts, and even send an email if you want :) all without ever leaving your keyboard.

I even setup a specific routine that loops sections in DP all from a MIDI footpedals.

I'm pretty sure KM as well as QK can do all this stuff. It's just that I've been using this CM for years and I thought I'd throw it out there. It's very deep but unknown to most of the population. I think it deserves more visibility.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

QuicKeys is still working fine for me in Yosemite. It can use any kind of trigger from any kind of device, connected in any way. For now, I'm going to stay with it. I've just got thousands of shortcuts; I don't want to lose them all at once, as I would do if I went to Keyboard Maestro. (I own KM, by the way; over time I may get them all transferred over)

Right now, I'm really dumbly hoping that Smartly does the right thing and releases a kick-ass version of QK for Yosemite and beyond. [Oooo! I just heard Buzz Lightyear exclaiming, "To Yosemite... And BEYOND!"]

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
PMortise
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by PMortise »

Do any of these programs work in DP's mini menus? For instance, can you set up a macro for changing custom view filters or mixing board layouts?
DP 10.11 / 3.33GHz 12-Core, 10.15.7, 128GB / 3.33GHz 12-Core, 10.15.7, 128GB /
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination." ~ Einstein
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

PMortise wrote:Do any of these programs work in DP's mini menus? For instance, can you set up a macro for changing custom view filters or mixing board layouts?
If QuicKeys still works for you (your setup looks like mine, more-or-less, and it works for me), it will do the Mini Menus, but you have to figure out an offset for the Consolidated Window. If you start with a "manual" click and drag in a free window, and get that to work, you can get the same thing to work in the Consolidated Window if you add an offset to the coordinates. I had to figure that out by trial and error, and I did it long ago in another computer; I don't have those anymore, or I'd just give you the shortcut. Basically, I estimated, then watched where it was hitting, and after about 3 or 4 tries, I had the offset figured out. From then on, it was easy to make shortcuts for the mini-menus, but I always used the cursor control. I don't think I ever got a DP mini-menu to operate based on names.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
PMortise
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by PMortise »

Thanks, Shooshie. Sounds like I'll have to give that baby a try. :)
DP 10.11 / 3.33GHz 12-Core, 10.15.7, 128GB / 3.33GHz 12-Core, 10.15.7, 128GB /
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination." ~ Einstein
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

That would be an area for improvement with DP9. If they could put mini-menu items into the commands list. They wouldn't even need to put a keystroke with it, just make it available. Of course, it would be reasonable to say that the mini-menu could only be invoked on the current, topmost window, or that you would have to bring a window onto the screen first. That's not a big deal.

It could even be a generic "Open the mini-menu of the active window" and "Select mini-menu item #x".

BTW, I did start another thread as a basic shootout of macro software. I'm hoping we'll be able to compare QuicKeys, Keyboard Maestro, and Controller Mate to see which might be the best choice for different folks and situations.

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=59559
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com