Mac Pro 6 or 8 Core ?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
lito
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mac Pro 6 or 8 Core ?

Post by lito »

Hi,
now it's time for a new Mac Pro.
What I want: recording 16 tracks at once with the possibility for lowest latency.
Firewire connections for my two RME FF800
Good performance from background processing for 80-100 tracks with many Dynamic
Plugins and maybe 3-4 Virtual Instruments.

Is a 6 Core enough or better 8 Core ? What's your experiences ?

Greets Lito
Only a Tele is good enough !!!
mikehalloran

Re: Mac Pro 6 or 8 Core ?

Post by mikehalloran »

It's hard to give a definitive answer. 6 core is faster with a light load; 8 core does the heavy lifting better and faster.

I don't see much in the way of heavy lifting in your setup so my gut says 6 core. I don't think you would notice a difference except in a direct A/B comparison between the two. There are a few threads on how to balance a VI load among multiple cores.

The word is that you do want the high end graphics cards. Apple has had issues with some of the others but I don't know if it's the 300, 500 or both. MLC can weigh in on that one much better than I.

AppleCare with 3 year phone support is a must. I am one of those who likes the maximum sized SSD but I am not you.
Firewire connections for my two RME FF800
Any latency bottleneck is right there. But a new setup certainly won't be any worse till you can get a TB interface to replace those.

You will need the Apple TB-FW adapters for your interfaces – whether or not it makes more sense to daisy-chain them or run parallel is something I cannot answer. You want to cruise any RME user boards to make certain that there are no issues in that regard.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Mac Pro 6 or 8 Core ?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

mikehalloran wrote: The word is that you do want the high end graphics cards. Apple has had issues with some of the others but I don't know if it's the 300, 500 or both. MLC can weigh in on that one much better than I.
My card is a AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB. Replaced within a month of purchase. I was in a bind on a major deadline (with a dead 2008 8-core) and the only machine available with a 1TB was a 4 for 2013 Mac Pro, so instead of a 6 core I went with that. It's plenty fast for everything I've thrown at it. I thought I'd need the 8-core for VIs, and maybe I will someday, but so far the new MP shows no sign of CPU stress. Audio and video editing are lightening fast. Almost a no wait state for most things unless I use my FW drives.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS