Is there any easier way to do this?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Tritonemusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Is there any easier way to do this?

Post by Tritonemusic »

guitardood wrote:Technically correct, however the preview only lets you hear the audio you have selected and not in context with the rest of the mix and also only allows one plug at a time where as a bounce in place would theoretically use the entire plug-in chain on the track in question.
Excellent point, and thanks for bringing it up.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

And did I mention that I think DP needs to have a "bounce in place" feature? :wink:
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Killahurts wrote:And did I mention that I think DP needs to have a "bounce in place" feature? :wink:
I find the manual entries on bounce confusing. I figured bouncing with "overwrite existing files" might do a bounce in place because it would change the sound file the soundbites reference. But the manual's description on page p 890 on this contradicts what actually appears in figure 18-1 on the matter of overwriting, and is different from what I see in DP 8. It says you can check a "overwrite" box when specifying destination files, but no such box appears in figure or when I bring up the dialog.

As you suggest, a simple "in place" option in the Bound dialog would save effort.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

The OP only wishes to apply the tuning processing to the file.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

monkey man wrote:The OP only wishes to apply the tuning processing to the file.

Right, but he want's to apply a third party plug (Autotune) to to his bounce. Like I wrote before, if he used DP's pitch automation exclusively, he could "merge audio" and "bounce in place". But if he uses Autotune, there is no real bounce in place.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I defer to your expertise, Killa. It was all theoretical on my part anyway, so I'm happy to concede.

I do agree with the principle of sticking with DP's PC where possible; I've only tested it but it sounds just fine to me and I'm plannin' on stickin' with it. Go MOTU!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
sampolfonz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sampolfonz »

Thank you for this discussion.

I, too, love DP's pitch automation. It is one of the most accurate sounding. I have Melodyne, Auto-Tune, Cubase 8 (pro), and have worked with all of these and their various pitch options.

What I was simply trying to do was avoid manually having to tighten up every track's pitch. I have found my workflow, I think.

Take the vocal, insert AutoTune on the track, listen and bounce sections to tighten with the humnaize function on AutoTune set at 100 percent and the re-tune speed in the 50s or 60s. Bounce the track, set up a new take on the track, import the AutoTune corrected file, use DPs pitch correct to repair the ones AT didn't catch.

It's as close as I'm going to get to bounce in place and it seems to work like using the hardware box to actually play the tracks through and re-record to a new track.

Thanks for the discussion, folks. I always learn a lot.

Sam
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

HCMarkus wrote:Not sure I get your workflow, but can you just use DP pitch correction to bring "oh my!" moments into a range AT will properly interpret? In other words, insert AT on your vocal track, listen along and, using DP pitch, correct only those notes and phrases that go off the reservation.

Duplicate the take or track before you start if interested in preserving easy access to an unadulterated performance. If the singer is good, you can use either the AT track or the raw track as lead and the other, maybe slightly delayed, as a double.
Once again I am with HC. This is my standard vocal treatment and it works great. Put AT on the track, open track in SE with Pitch selected, and listen through, fixing anything that AT doesn't catch and you're finished. If you want a hard copy bounce the track with the import into sequence option.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com