Disabling the option key / zoom short cut

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Disabling the option key / zoom short cut

Post by philbrown »

frankf wrote:The zoom back, as was mentioned, is your friend. Every time I accidentally zoom in like this, my brain triggers my vocal chord to utter one of 2 4 letter words. No stopping this from happening.
So true!
And I've tried everything to undo-it-while-happening (clicking on the desktop etc) but once you hit the wrong key combo the damage is done. I used the Command-[ a couple of times this morning, now that I know, and was all w00t! It's the little things in life. Motunation rocks.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Shooshie

Re: Disable gride and nudge?

Post by Shooshie »

SMS wrote:I find myself accidentally zooming by trying to nudge left/right with the arrow keys while holding Command to disable snap to grid- is there a way to do this? (temporarily disable the grid and nudge with the arrow keys?)

Thanks
COMMAND-ARROW KEYS are important timeline zooms. You could change either the command for this, or the command for nudging, but you can't disable the grid and nudge with this key-combination.

I've been zooming the timeline with COMMAND-ARROW for too long to change that, and I've been nudging for too long to change THAT, so I guess for me the best solution is just to turn off the grid, which is my default, anyway.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Meanwhile, if MOTU made the OPTION-CLICK zoom an optional preference, I'd be willing to bet that 99% of all users would turn it off!

Most annoying command EVER!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Shooshie wrote:Meanwhile, if MOTU made the OPTION-CLICK zoom an optional preference, I'd be willing to bet that 99% of all users would turn it off!

Most annoying command EVER!

Shoosh
Probably my most used shortcut...

I am the 1%.

:sorry:
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I thought cmd-f was the worst?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:Meanwhile, if MOTU made the OPTION-CLICK zoom an optional preference, I'd be willing to bet that 99% of all users would turn it off!
I'd turn it off. I use CMD-arrow for zoom. Better something that doesn't need a mouse.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
SMS

Re: Disable gride and nudge?

Post by SMS »

Shooshie wrote:
SMS wrote:I find myself accidentally zooming by trying to nudge left/right with the arrow keys while holding Command to disable snap to grid- is there a way to do this? (temporarily disable the grid and nudge with the arrow keys?)

Thanks
COMMAND-ARROW KEYS are important timeline zooms. You could change either the command for this, or the command for nudging, but you can't disable the grid and nudge with this key-combination.

I've been zooming the timeline with COMMAND-ARROW for too long to change that, and I've been nudging for too long to change THAT, so I guess for me the best solution is just to turn off the grid, which is my default, anyway.

Shooshie
I just tried disabling the zoom key bindings, and for some reason DP just won't recognize the temporary grid toggle when you nudge. I guess we just have to toggle the grid on/off instead of using the temporary toggle....
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I thought cmd-f was the worst?
If you're talking about the View Filter command (OPTION-COMMAND-F on mine), I never accidentally hit that. But the OPTION-CLICK is something I hit all the time by accident, when I'm actually trying to duplicate something. I know to wait until I've already clicked before adding the option key, but sometimes I miss the target on the first click, and by then I've already got the Option key down, click again, and it balloons somewhere into next week, by which time I'm already doing what Frank does (uttering some choice words), and then I reach for Command-[ to go back to the previous zoom.

:banghead:

Shoosh
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I guess we're talking about at least 2 different scenarios. I make time selection edits hundreds of times a day, and since there is no quick way to jump from the Volume layer to the Soundbites layer ('cmon MOTU!), I often leave the Volume layer up and do time range selections by Control-Option clicking and dragging. Doing this so many times in a day occasionally I hit Option-Command by mistake and as soon as you click [EXPLETIVE] - there's no way out of a gigantic zoom happening no matter what you do, even clicking on the desktop.
Command-[ to the rescue.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
frankf

Post by frankf »

I've tried to train myself to use the "I" I-beam tool. Hold down while dragging to make a time range selection, release when you're done. This avoids altogether using Carl/cmd-opt drag
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

frankf wrote:I've tried to train myself to use the "I" I-beam tool. Hold down while dragging to make a time range selection, release when you're done. This avoids altogether using Carl/cmd-opt drag
Thanks for the reminder- I forget about that one.
Almost always more than one way to get there in DP!

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

philbrown wrote:
frankf wrote:I've tried to train myself to use the "I" I-beam tool. Hold down while dragging to make a time range selection, release when you're done. This avoids altogether using Carl/cmd-opt drag
Except that the I-Beam stays within the track, while the Control-Option-Drag will cover multiple tracks. Or is it the other way around? No, I think I said it right. Anyway, there's a difference between the two.

I often hit the zoom by accident in that scenario, too. I'd give anything if we could turn off that option-click-zoom.

Shooshie
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I'm just adding my voice to the camp that doesn't like the Option key zoom short cut.

It has cause me to be much more slow and careful, but also the zoom back command is 2nd nature (just takes a hit on the flow).

But Shooshie is absolutely right, it would be good if it just went into the general commands bucket so it could be deactivated.

While we're at it, I also hate zooming along the wiper. I never use it, except by accident.

My mouse button-pressed scroll wheel does my zooming for me and it is elegant.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
frankf

Post by frankf »

Shooshie wrote:
philbrown wrote:
Except that the I-Beam stays within the track, while the Control-Option-Drag will cover multiple tracks. Or is it the other way around? No, I think I said it right. Anyway, there's a difference between the two.

I often hit the zoom by accident in that scenario, too. I'd give anything if we could turn off that option-click-zoom.

Shooshie
Not sure what you mean. The lasso changes to I-beam if you move curser over time line in SE and MIDI edit windows, and from pointer to I-beam in the TO. Drag to make time range selection for all tracks. No need even for the "I".. Or use I-beam tool on one track with "I" held down and then the command "grow selection to all tracks" or other grow selection commands. This is with cursor/pointer mode set to All Selections

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

frankf wrote:Not sure what you mean. The lasso changes to I-beam if you move curser over time line in SE and MIDI edit windows, and from pointer to I-beam in the TO. Drag to make time range selection for all tracks. No need even for the "I".. Or use I-beam tool on one track with "I" held down and then the command "grow selection to all tracks" or other grow selection commands. This is with cursor/pointer mode set to All Selections

Frank Ferrucci
In the Sequence Editor, if you use the I-Beam, your selection is constrained to the track in which you're working.
If you use Control-Option-Drag, the lasso tool is like a time-range select for the track you're working in — just like the I-Beam — EXCEPT that if you move it down to other tracks it will pick them up, too. So, you've got three kinds of Range Selections possible in the Sequence Editor, using the mouse:

Sequence Editor:
1) Timeline: drag in the timeline to pick up a range in every track
2) Control-Option-Drag: picks up everything within a range within the track you're working in plus any adjacent tracks you drag over.
3) I-Beam: drag to pick up everything in a range within one track

Those give you three distinct ways of picking up selections in the Sequence Editor, with increasing levels of constraint as you go down the list.

As for the MIDI editor, I have never seen that Control-Option-Drag does anything differently. In fact, you'd have to invoke it after clicking, because Control brings up a contextual menu. That's ok. The Lasso is the default for the MIDI editor, anyway.

Shooshie