Disabling the option key / zoom short cut

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
scott.gehman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Disabling the option key / zoom short cut

Post by scott.gehman »

Does anyone know if it's possible to disable the zoom shortcut function of the option key? I use the option/drag method to copy MIDI notes a lot and if I don't click exactly on the event, the display will zoom in to an idiotically huge magnification. I never zoom this way, preferring the used the command/cursor key method. I understand that the cursor changes from a magnifying glass to a two fingered cursor to tell you the mode it is in, but I often don't see the change before I click.

Regards
Robert Randolph

Re: Disabling the option key / zoom short cut

Post by Robert Randolph »

I don't know of how to change the option key functionality, but remember that you can 'go back to the last zoom' by hitting cmd-[ (ctrl-[ on windows)
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I would go for a change to that! I hate when I accidentally click with the OPTION key down, and... whammo! the screen is zoomed all the way in. Use the command for going back to the previous zoom level. I think it's COMMAND-[ (left bracket). You can check the mini-menu to confirm. Learning that little command will make your life a lot less stressful!

Shooshie

PS: Ooops... I see that Robert already told you that. Sorry; I've had these posts open all day, and I just answer them as I get time. Didn't see that Robert had already posted, even though he caught it like three minutes after you wrote it!
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Quickeys won't do that Shoosh?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Quickeys won't do that Shoosh?
Won't do what? There's a key-command in DP that's made for returning to the previous zoom state. No need for QK.

Unless you mean somehow rigging the Option-Click so that it does not zoom. What did you have in mind?

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

I can't say what I have in mind or I'd be booted from MN. What I meant was the latter. I've not tried it but I suspect QK could intercept the opt key but not a mouse click. That could probably be accomplished in a mouse driver like SteerMouse or USBOverdrive. Maybe not, and it could be a project for some shareware coder to develop a new app that could do it.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I can't say what I have in mind or I'd be booted from MN. What I meant was the latter. I've not tried it but I suspect QK could intercept the opt key but not a mouse click. That could probably be accomplished in a mouse driver like SteerMouse or USBOverdrive. Maybe not, and it could be a project for some shareware coder to develop a new app that could do it.
The problem is that you WANT to opt-click, but if you miss the target, it does a command you don't intend.

That is something that can only be changed by DP's development team.
MIDI Life Crisis

It's only a problem for very few people. I for one don't mind it. It seem a very small irritant and there are much much bigger fish to fry. You're welcome. <sigh>
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Don T

Post by Don T »

Hello,
Disable the accessibility controls in the OS preferences.

Don T
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness
MIDI Life Crisis

Don't you loose the opt key across the board (bored? LOL) then. I think if it is implemented it probably should be just for DP and even then just for the selection with the mouse in particular screens. I don't see this happening any time soon.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Arceo

Post by Arceo »

Well, I for one am bothered by the option key/zoom short cut. I can't see the advantage of having two functions in one shortcut. But to each their own, there might be someone that benefit from this behavior. First I must try Shooshie workaround and second let me dream of a future preference that let me disable the option/zoom.
Cheers
Arceo
SMS

Disable gride and nudge?

Post by SMS »

I find myself accidentally zooming by trying to nudge left/right with the arrow keys while holding Command to disable snap to grid- is there a way to do this? (temporarily disable the grid and nudge with the arrow keys?)

Thanks
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Robert Randolph wrote:I don't know of how to change the option key functionality, but remember that you can 'go back to the last zoom' by hitting cmd-[ (ctrl-[ on windows)
Thanks for this!
I accidentally hit the wrong modifier keys a few times a day and do some ridiculous zoom.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
MIDI Life Crisis

Ooooo! Nice.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
frankf

Post by frankf »

The zoom back, as was mentioned, is your friend. Every time I accidentally zoom in like this, my brain triggers my vocal chord to utter one of 2 4 letter words. No stopping this from happening. Clients raise their eyebrows, I shrug and hit the zoom back key. All a distraction.
You might try assigning a free single key command to zoom back

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB