Stability of VEPro 5/MIR, VSL's "S.E." instruments & DP8

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
zuul-studios
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Stability of VEPro 5/MIR, VSL's "S.E." instruments & DP8

Post by zuul-studios »

Hello -

I am strongly considering a somewhat significant "financial investment" in purchasing VSL's "Special Edition Complete Bundle" library along with VSL's Vienna Instruments Pro 2 software. I already own VSL's VEPro 5, MIR Pro and Vienna Suite programs. So, a significant "financial investment" in VSL products has already been made. (Yes, I guess I do like VSL products.)

Recently, I've heard some pretty nice-sounding orchestral mock-ups using "just" VSL's Special Edition ("S.E.") instruments. These orchestral examples sounded like a genuine orchestra playing. Yes, I know these examples were created by very talented individuals. But I have a hope and a dream of learning how to use these tools to achieve similar authentic sounding orchestral compositions.

My concern is if my current computer system will meet the CPU needs potentially demanded by VSL's "S.E." instruments, VEPro 5, MIR Pro, Vienna Suite and DP 8. (My current computer configuration is well-noted in my signature line below.) I do not want to make a $1,750.00 investment if my computer system will not meed the CPU needs of this set-up. (Although far from sounding "authentic", I already have an old, clean-sounding orchestral templet, made up of various different VI libraries, that I've been using for the past several years.) I do have a second Apple computer. If needed, I can create a "master/slave" computer set-up to help share the CPU load. It would be nice to keep it all on one computer, if possible. However configured, my goal is to create a more authentic sounding orchestral templet that I can use for the next few years for my modest orchestral compositions.

So. . . I ask for insight. . . suggestions. . . recommendations. . . experiences from anyone using VSL's SE instruments, VEPro/MIR and DP8.

Thank you.

Ted
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.5 (beta 3); 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
dvithyavuthi

Re: Stability of VEPro 5/MIR, VSL's "S.E." instruments & DP8

Post by dvithyavuthi »

I do have the VSL Special edition and Plus as well. I would say that the best thing about VSL is their dryness, which allows you to add many different kinds of verbs to alter and change the kind of sound you make with them. Of course there are limits with an overall "light bundle" library like this, however your setup should be fine as I was even able to run a decent sized project on just a laptop.

Overall, it comes to knowing the library and finding a good verb (Altiverb) to give it the good sound. I have not used MIR so I can't comment on it. Some EQing and other engineering technical knowledge will also help to get a more realistic sound, as well as continuing to listen to actual live orchestral recordings so you don't lose what a realistic sound is supposed to be.

I have since moved on to other libraries, but for your budget VSL SE is probably one of the best options for the full orchestra.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I have most or all of the Special Editions, but I encourage you to look at Dimension Strings, too. I'm in awe of that library. Especially all the repetitions available, and the possible configurations of them. Also, the configuration possibilities of the sections is superb. It's a wonderful library. All of VSL's stuff is great, IMO, but it's just one sound of many. The beauty of VSL is not just the sound, however; it's their interface. That's one of the most clever interfaces I've ever seen; maybe THE most clever. It's intimidating, but once you learn how it works, you wonder how else it could even be done.

I haven't used MIR, but it does look like a fast way to configure an orchestra. For now, I just use Altiverb. If I were doing this daily on a deadline, as I did years ago, I think I'd go for MIR.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
zuul-studios

Post by zuul-studios »

Thank you for the informative posts. I know that there will be a significant learning curve in learning how to set up these libraries and configuring them to sound authentic. But I know that it can be done, given the examples I've heard using "just" the S.E. libraries which were quite impressive. My plan is to start with the S.E. libraries and add to them as I am able to afford it.

A couple of nights ago, I created what appears to be a stable "master/slave" computer set-up using VEPro 5, MIR and most of the instruments from my older orchestral templet. Especially using MAS which VEPro 5 now offers as an option, this set-up seems to be the most stable that I've been able use with these programs, orchestral instruments and DP 8. The CPU usage seems minimal, so far. I am looking forward to purchasing VSL's "S.E. Complete Bundle" which will serve as a really nice start into owning their libraries.
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.5 (beta 3); 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
zuul-studios

Post by zuul-studios »

A follow-up. . . .

Finally, I purchased VSL's Special Edition Complete Bundle library along with VSL's VI Pro. (I'm still downloading all of the instruments. Should be finished in about 12 hours! LOL!)

Wow! I JUST did a quick test and listen to what I already downloaded. Didn't even put reverb to the instruments. They sound fantastic, even as dry as they are!! For me, anyway, this is quite a financial investment. Gonna have to work a whole lot of overtime where I work to pay for it! (This will not be difficult because of nurse-staffing issues on my unit. Moan/groan!).

With the recent purchase of VSL's S.E. library, I don't know if I will ever want to leave my studio again! LOL! I can see myself using this library, exclusively, for a long time, for my orchestral projects. Really enjoying the Master/Slave computer set-up with VEPro 5 & MIR. And, really enjoying the fruits of my labor in finally getting to know, and getting more comfortable, using DP 8 with this set-up.

Life is good. . . :dance:

Ted
Computer:

Software: