Why doesn't snap to grid work when drawing controller data?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MikeInBoston
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Why doesn't snap to grid work when drawing controller data?

Post by MikeInBoston »

It doesn't make sense that, in the MIDI Editor, you can snap notes to the grid, but not the controller data below. This is kind of inconsistent, isn't it? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Mike
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Why doesn't snap to grid work when drawing controller da

Post by Shooshie »

Well... it depends on what you're doing. Most of the time it doesn't make a lot of sense to snap controller data to the grid. If anything, you want your controllers to be free to line up as they need be. However, if you're drawing waves, you can line it up to the note grids.

Do you mind my asking for what purpose you wish to do this? I don't really understand why you want control points lined up with the grid. Maybe if you explained, I would see the reason for it, and there might be a workaround. (but not that I can think of, offhand, without knowing what you're trying to do)

Here's a lesson on controllers from the DP Tips Sheet thread, page 2: Creating and Editing Control and Automation Points. Note the part about ⅔ down the post, about making waves. That's when it sometimes makes sense to synchronize the control points with the note grid, which it definitely can do.

You can see a little of this in action in this video, starting at 9:42. I don't think the grid is on in that video, but you can at least see some of what the tips sheet post talks about. It's all about using the right modifier keys.

But "quantizing" control points with the grid, other than when making waves, isn't something that's going to happen in DP. Individual control points weren't really meant to do that. Even when drawing waves, it's the tool that's constrained, not the actual points. They can still be freely moved around.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MikeInBoston

Post by MikeInBoston »

Hi Shooshie,

Thanks for your input.

Well, when I'm drawing in controller data with the mouse (remember, I'm that guy that does everything with the mouse), and I tend to use the "arc" tool a lot, I would like the ends of the arc to snap to the grid. As it is now, I have to look away from what I'm doing so I can see the cursor position in the upper left of the MIDI editor. It's kind of a pain in the neck. I know some other DAWs DO snap to the grid when you draw in controller data (such as Cubase).

Anyway, I can deal with it. I was just hoping there was something I didn't know about.

Thanks.

Mike
MikeInBoston

Post by MikeInBoston »

Sorry, in my last post I meant "spline" tool, not arc tool.

Mike
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Shooshie »

I see what you're saying, now. Let me see if I get this right:
You've got a phrase of notes that are being played with Expression or Breath Control. One of those notes needs a new shape to the attack and sustain, so you want to start exactly on its first controller. You want to draw a spline, from beginning to end of that note, without picking up any controllers before or after it.

Yes, a little "grab" on the grid would help you to get that. I see that now. My stuff is of a nature that doesn't always start on beats or subdivisions of beats, so a grid isn't very helpful to me in that situation. But I can tell you how I do it, and maybe it will help you, too. I view this as a selection problem, not a tool or grid problem. The tool will only act on what's selected.

But that brings up the problem of selecting controllers that go with notes in DP. Anyone who has done that knows that it's not easy if you're just trying to eyeball it with the mouse, picking up the controllers that are directly under the note(s) you have selected. But there's a quick, easy way that takes about a fraction of a second to do it. I refer you to the Tips Sheet post on page 2, Working with Selections in DP. Forgive me if you've seen it before, but if you were using this method at least part of the problem we're discussing would pretty much vanish.

Another part of the equation is to consider using LINES mode for this, which makes it a lot easier to get the first controller at 0 or 1, or whatever you want it to be.

The post in the link may seem involved, but once you are using it, you can select the exact controllers you need faster than you can say "select." Then the tool operates only on those selected controllers, and it obviates the need to position your cursor so that it doesn't affect surrounding controllers. You STILL have to get the start and end points where you want them (easier with LINES mode), but you don't have to worry about the controllers you don't want to touch.

I know it's not what you asked about, and I'm not saying your question is invalid. The grid would help some of the tools, no doubt. But if what you're trying to accomplish is what I think it is, this may be another path to the same result, and a fast one at that.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MikeInBoston

Post by MikeInBoston »

Thank you, Shooshie. I will check out that post on the Tips Sheet.

You know, Shooshie, you are THE MAN! On this forum, you have no equal. Your tireless willingness and generosity to help others is very inspiring. I salute you, my friend.

Mike