Any advantages to using a MOTU interface with DP8?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
deckard1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Any advantages to using a MOTU interface with DP8?

Post by deckard1 »

Hi,

I know that DP8 supports a great deal of audio interfaces. Just wondering if using a MOTU interface with DP8 would have any advantages over a third party interface (Apogee, RME, etc.) used with DP8?

Thanks!
DP 11.11 | 15" MacBook Pro (Mid-2012)| i7 | 16GB RAM | OS X 10.15.7 (Catalina) | Apogee Jam 96k
Gravity Jim

Re: Any advantages to using a MOTU interface with DP8?

Post by Gravity Jim »

None that I'm aware of. I've used DP with a MOTU interface, and with third party interfaces, and it's the same UX both ways... Transparent.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Sonically and compatibility-wise they should all work about the same.

Motu interfaces have CueMix, which does provide latency free monitoring, but I'm sure most interfaces can do that now. MOTU is awfully good about getting drivers out with new OS releases, if necessary. Some other companies aren't quite as on top of that. I'd check at least those two things before buying.

Everything goes through Apple's Audio/MIDI Setup these days, so there aren't usually any connectivity issues.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Just never buy M-Audio crap. Never!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
deckard1

Post by deckard1 »

Thanks for clearing it up for me. I was actually trying to decide between the Apogee Duet for iPad & Mac or the MOTU Track 16. I am mostly concerned with stability and quality of converters. From what I have read, RME is the king of stability. But, the RME Babyface is a bit out of my price range.
DP 11.11 | 15" MacBook Pro (Mid-2012)| i7 | 16GB RAM | OS X 10.15.7 (Catalina) | Apogee Jam 96k
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

I use both a Motu 8 Pre and an Apogee Duet 2 with DP.. no problems. DP behaves exactly the same.

cheers
Get Real Live Drum Tracks @ http://www.hugoribeiro.com

Macbook Pro | DP 10.13 | Motu 8Pre (x2) | Apogee Duet 2
Sonor Drums | Sabian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Vater Drumsticks
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Isn't there a hardware play through capability with the MOTU gear?
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

BKK-OZ wrote:Isn't there a hardware play through capability with the MOTU gear?
Yes, just like almost every mid/high-end modern interface.
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

NOT with the AVB line. You have to direct patch input to output or use the AVB app mixer. Chaps my ass.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

EMRR wrote:NOT with the AVB line. You have to direct patch input to output or use the AVB app mixer. Chaps my ass.
Isn't that essentially what the older MOTU line does, but using Cuemix instead of the AVB mixer, and the Cuemix app instead of a web browser?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

deckard1 wrote: But, the RME Babyface is a bit out of my price range.
See B&H. Babyface 649. Duet 599. Big difference in function.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

EMRR wrote:
NOT with the AVB line. You have to direct patch input to output or use the AVB app mixer. Chaps my ass.
From what I read about the AVB line, the latency is in the few millisecond range, so there's no need for hardware play through, or something like that. iI may not be remembering it right, so you might read that part again and see if it really is lacking anything. I just remember thinking that it sounded like the greatest thing since sliced soundbites.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Robert Randolph wrote:
Yes, just like almost every mid/high-end modern interface.
Well, I have a modern interface, and that option is greyed out in the DP menu. I recall (ages ago) reading in the DP manual that hardware play through in DP was only available with MOTU interfaces, but I am not 100% sure, so happy to be corrected.

It doesn't bother me, because I use a Mackie 1640i, and if I need to monitor something, I just do it through my desk, not through DP.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The link between the use of motu hardware, DP, and direct hardware play through is that you have to use DHP to monitor via Cuemix.
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Loss of 'direct hardware playthrough' kills the ability to do easy analog monitor mixing. If you use an analog console, you deal with latency or you run a completely separate AVB DAW mix for monitoring, and try to mirror the two mixes between tracking and playback. One should be able to use an analog mixer without latency, as the PCI line allowed in combination with 'direct hardware playthrough'.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing