Good News for Magic Trackpad Users!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Good News for Magic Trackpad Users!

Post by Shooshie »

A representative of MOTU has been able to reproduce the quirky scrolling behavior of the Apple Magic Trackpad, and the engineers will be looking into ways to fix it. With DP9 still looming on the horizon, maybe we will see a fix by its release.

This is the #1 item on my list, right now. The Magic Trackpad is lightyears ahead of any other input device. Scrolling and centering feel like you're in direct contact with the computer, and it's doing exactly what you want. Rocking your finger(s) enables pixel-level precision. There is nothing else like it... unless you are using Digital Performer, post Mavericks OS. In DP, scrolling vertically has been a problem. Faders literally go the wrong way, then hesitate, then change direction, repeating the above over and over and getting nowhere until you release it. Then the "momentum" carries it smoothly for a short distance. Drop-down menu items jump back and forth from line to line.

Until Mavericks, the Magic Trackpad in DP was paradise. Since Mavericks, it's been Paradise Lost. I keep two other mice next to my trackpad for whenever I really need to scroll with precision, or work a drop-down menu. It affects windows, panels, field-values, drop-down menus, faders, knobs, custom consoles, lists, edit grids... you name it; if it scrolls vertically, it's a problem.

The news that we may soon be getting paradise returned is the best news I've had in a long, long time.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Good News for Magic Trackpad Users!

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I hope they release DP9 before I run out of money!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

By the way, one of the great things about using Jitouch with the Magic Trackpad is that you can draw characters (A, B, C...) in addition to gestures. Of course, you can assign gestures and characters independently for each application. In DP, you might assign V to Change Velocity, D to Change Duration, C to Change Continuous Data, T to Change Tempo (or Transpose), and so on. It's a great way to work. Anything that has a command, or can be assigned a command, can be driven from either characters or gestures on the trackpad via Jitouch. If it doesn't have a command in DP, you can make a shortcut for it in QuicKeys, then trigger THAT with the trackpad.

Of course, it takes a little practice at first to learn to draw characters with two fingers separated by about 1.5 inches. (3 cm). But once you do, the characters open up a lot of possible commands. It's not hard to do.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Whew. This is great news.
Can't wait for 9!
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

I'm really glad they were able to recreate the problem at MOTU. That's 9/10 of the fix, right there!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Killahurts wrote:I'm really glad they were able to recreate the problem at MOTU. That's 9/10 of the fix, right there!
Absolutely. The first and biggest step is admitting that there IS a problem. From then on, it's just finding the code that fixes it, and since everyone else was able to find it after Mavericks, I'm sure MOTU will, too.

At first, there were lots of apps that did that kind of thing, sometimes only in certain situations. Especially web-applets and things like that. Now, they have nearly all been fixed. I still come across the odd app or applet that does that, but they are few and far between. I'm sure MOTU will find the answer.

I have four other pointing devices that i actually use in addition to the Magic Trackpad. They are here because of this scrolling issue, mainly:
• Magic Mouse
• Logitech Performance MX mouse
• Logitech M570 trackball
• Wacom tablet
Three of them are on my desk, for a total of four input devices. The other one is on the shelf behind me, along with three other mice that I no longer use. I have a closet full of my favorite trackballs of all time, the wireless Kensington Turbo Mouse Pro (old style, with all the buttons), and two of the "same" name, but the ones currently sold, which are nothing like the old ones.

I could use any of them. Each has things I really like. But in the end, the Magic Trackpad is so advanced that stepping down to any of the others for more than a special need (usually scrolling in DP) is just too big a drop in performance. The Magic Trackpad is to the mouse what the mouse was to cursor keys on the keyboard. It's mind boggling. Even in its current crippled state in DP, its advantages outweigh any consideration of dropping back to another device until this one is fixed. (And believe me, I tried. I Bought the two Logitech devices with that plan in mind.) When the MT is fixed in DP, I'll probably put all these in a cabinet. I need one for bypassing Bluetooth (Logitech uses its own wireless frequency; not Bluetooth.) But with the exception of the tablet, which has specific uses less suitable to any other kind of device (drawing, mainly), and that one non-bluetooth device, when the trackpad is fixed, I'll be done with the rest.

I'll be thrilled when this is fixed.

Shooshie
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

This is good news, indeed. Even though I never experienced the problem, it's nice to know that I am unlikely to now.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

I wondered about that - I'm a huge magic trackpad fan and recently found myself getting surprised by various scrolling actions in DP. Thanks for the update.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Wow. Been away for weeks dealing with health and selling off property prep, and come back to this thread. This is HUGE for me. I mean huge!!! SO GREAT if they fix it !!! :woohoo:
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

labman wrote:Wow. Been away for weeks dealing with health and selling off property prep, and come back to this thread. This is HUGE for me. I mean huge!!! SO GREAT if they fix it !!! :woohoo:
:headbang:
Shoosh
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

I love my trackpad as well. Also makes it easier to go back and forth from driving my Mac Pro and my MacBook Air.

Only odd behavior I've noticed is when re-sizing a Kontakt 5 window in DP. Otherwise, seems to be working fine for me.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Rick, if you do a SLOW controlled fader move in the Mixing Board, does the fader move erratically? Or does it hesitate and reverse direction a few times before it gets underway?

Are you using Mavericks or Yosemite?
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Shooshie......
No problems with fader moves here. I'm presently on Mavericks, but plan to move to Yosemite soon.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Is your 2014 Mac Pro the "trashcan" model? If so, that's good news. It means Apple fixed the problem in the hardware itself. (I guess) Mine is a 2012 Mac Pro, and when Mavericks came along, it blew my Magic Trackpad out of the water in several ways. (Erratic scrolling, and some gestures ceased working.) Maybe the reason they didn't fix it in the next OS release was because they fixed it through the new hardware. Not that we'll ever know for sure, but it's the only guess I've got!

Shooshie
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Yep—I have the "trashcan" Mac Pro. It's been solid—glad I went this way.
Rick Cornish