Good News for Magic Trackpad Users!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Good News for Magic Trackpad Users!

Post by Shooshie »

Rick Cornish wrote:Yep—I have the "trashcan" Mac Pro. It's been solid—glad I went this way.
Until now, I've been able to convince myself that I don't need the new Mac Pro, at least for now. But THIS changes everything! I want one!!!

Hurry, MOTU, and fix the Magic Trackpad issue before I jump ship and get a new Mac Pro!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Don't forget there is a problem with the lower level graphics cards. Many have been replaced, including myself mine. Also, 10.10..2 has a few graphics bugs Apple is working on. I would suggest getting the biggest internal drive you can since there's only one. Mine is 1TB. My projects are on external SATAs in USB3 and TB dual port docks. One has my secondary TimeMachine backup with the primary TM disk in a FW enclosure via a FW to TB connector. Dual DVI monitors also on TB converter cables. Kind of a PITA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:Is your 2014 Mac Pro the "trashcan" model? If so, that's good news. It means Apple fixed the problem in the hardware itself. (I guess) Mine is a 2012 Mac Pro, and when Mavericks came along, it blew my Magic Trackpad out of the water in several ways. (Erratic scrolling, and some gestures ceased working.) Maybe the reason they didn't fix it in the next OS release was because they fixed it through the new hardware. Not that we'll ever know for sure, but it's the only guess I've got!

Shooshie
I don't see how it could be a hardware problem on the older Mac Pro. It happens on my MBP with its build in trackpad, and my iMac with an external Apple trackpad. It only happens with DP, and no other application, and didn't happen before Mountain Lion.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:
Shooshie wrote:Is your 2014 Mac Pro the "trashcan" model? If so, that's good news. It means Apple fixed the problem in the hardware itself. (I guess) Mine is a 2012 Mac Pro, and when Mavericks came along, it blew my Magic Trackpad out of the water in several ways. (Erratic scrolling, and some gestures ceased working.) Maybe the reason they didn't fix it in the next OS release was because they fixed it through the new hardware. Not that we'll ever know for sure, but it's the only guess I've got!

Shooshie
I don't see how it could be a hardware problem on the older Mac Pro. It happens on my MBP with its build in trackpad, and my iMac with an external Apple trackpad. It only happens with DP, and no other application, and didn't happen before Mountain Lion.
It's just a guess. The hardware controller that receives the signal from the Trackpad may have a buffer that prevents all the little jagged directions it wants to go in. Here's how I think the problem works:
1) For movement to take place on the trackpad, the interpreter chip has to sense three relative events: starting position, direction, and confirmation.
2) Finger pressure is generating a constant stream of false directions, so it has to average those, and even then that average is constantly making moves.
3) When scrolling, the finger pressure is variable. The first touch is the anchor. The second average is the direction. The third produces movement in that direction. This is happening at probably hundreds of samples per second.

I think that Mavericks changed the way it averages and/or sense direction. This should have been transparent to applications, but for some it was not. Many gestures were killed in some applications, such as the Finder, Safari, and many other apps. The scrolling issue appeared at first in several apps. After an update or two of Mavericks, and after updates of many apps, as well as Adobe Flash, and other plugins, they got most of it ironed out.

Here's what I think they did. (Please understand the operative words here are "I Think." I haven't read about this anywhere, and I'm just trying to reason out what happened.) I think Apple allowed apps to determine their own buffer size for determining direction, thereby offering greater sensitivity. Or it might have been some other tweak, but it had the same effect. In other words, the slightest change of direction now will be picked up by the signal interpreter as a change of direction. It's up to the app developer to provide a level of buffering that cushions those changes and takes the average of more direction changes before making a move. Maybe. Again, these are guesses.

Why did they do this? Maybe it had to do with a graphics card or chip. Maybe the old scheme would not work with higher resolution, such as for the Retina Displays. Maybe the old average that determined direction would be considered very coarse with Retina Displays.

Since developers have to update their apps for Retina Displays and their graphics cards, maybe they also have to set the Trackpad's Scrolling-direction-buffer to be aware of the pixel disparity between the Trackpad and the Retina Display. Maybe the difference isn't the new Mac Pro, but retina displays, themselves.

I feel like I'm circling the problem, but without more technical information, I can't nail it down. I'm sure a programmer would read what I'm saying and either know immediately what it is, or else could dismiss my whole argument and say "that's silly; it's just the blah-blah-blah matrix," and change a couple of numbers, and it would all be set.

But I'm just trying to understand why some people never seemed to have the issue and others did. If those with new Mac Pros don't have it, then there is obviously something different that makes that possible. The interpreter chip, graphics card, retina display, Bluetooth chip... SOMETHING is different. For those of us who have the issue, it's a real problem, and it's unfair that we should have to buy a new computer to get past it.

Those who don't have the problem have been acting since the beginning as if it's something we're doing wrong. Those smug aspersions have not sat well with me, a person who generally is very aware of his digital surroundings, and who can track down almost any problem. No, this has been a problem generated by something that Apple did. Most developers have accommodated the problem with some kind of interface change. Maybe the Cocoa environment fixes it automatically. Maybe MOTU does not fully utilize the Cocoa GUI APIs. We know MOTU has always tried to get more out of the windows and other interface features than most developers. Maybe that's why DP never got "fixed" after Mavericks, at least as regards the Magic Trackpad.

So, I could guess all day, and maybe some of my guesses would be right, but most would probably be wrong. The important thing is that someone who has their hands on the materials to fix it is now taking a look at it. We'll probably see that fix, and it won't require buying a new Mac Pro.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Whether or not all these guesses are correct, we can conclude that MOTU needs to put it right, although changes in OS X probably led to the problem in the first place.

The concern I have is that new versions of OS X and iOS appear to be optimized for new (or even future -- Watch?) hardware and may not be the best for older hardware. I can see why Apple would do that -- ensure their new products perform at their best, but it means the habit of updating may be counterproductive. Our older Macs running 10.6.8 are still the most trouble free. It's great MOTU has kept older versions of OS X relevant (unlike Apple with Logic), and I hope they continue to do it.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

There is a firmware bug in 14 models of the ATI graphics cards that shipped with the Mac Pro and iMacs. This didn't manifest itself until OS 10.8.2. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. None of those cards has shipped since 2011, I think. I know that my 2010 iMac has one while my wife's 2011 does not.

Interestingly, it doesn't affect all systems the same way. Most of the apps that had issues with it including TechTool Pro through 7.4 didn't affect me. OTOH, MOTU Audio Setup.app crashes my system if I leave it on too long due to this same bug (easy workaround: close it when done). From the response I got to my TechLink, I think that MOTU was just as surprised as I was when they confirmed the issue.

Most companies got tired of waiting for Apple to fix this -- apparently, they never will -- and developed their own workarounds. It has something to do with the way that Apple specified graphics.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:There is a firmware bug in 14 models of the ATI graphics cards that shipped with the Mac Pro and iMacs. This didn't manifest itself until OS 10.8.2. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
It happens on my early 2011 MBP with Intel HD Graphics 3000. But the onset at 10.8.2 sounds about right.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I was a little late to the Mavericks OS, but the day I installed it was the day I lost the smooth beauty of the Magic Trackpad. Instantly, about half the things I did with it were no longer possible, including swiping in Safari to go to previous and next pages. Same deal in the Finder. It was a mess for a while. Gradually those things got fixed to some degree. Interestingly, I can use other gestures to go forward and backward in Safari, but not the three or two fingered swipe, which resemble scrolling. It's all about scrolling.

Mavericks was 10.9. I probably installed it at around 10.9.1 or 10.9.2. Before that, I had 10.8.x installed, but never had a problem with it. Mavericks, however, ruined the trackpad for me. I think it has something to do with graphics cards and resolution, so it may be the issue you're talking about, but it never happened until 10.9 for me.

Shoosh
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I haven't used Safari on my Mac very much since OS 10.6. The 2 and 3 finger scrolling has always end worked for me in Chrome. Chrome works so much better for SalesForce and Google Documents, required for my day gig, that I rarely use anything else.

Interestingly, PayPal label printing used to work only in FireFox. Recently, it works properly only in Safari. I ruin a few labels now and then with the moving target that is PayPal label printing.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro