DP with Audio Finder

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Tripi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP with Audio Finder

Post by Tripi »

I've been using Audio Finder as a dedicated 3rd screen app with DP for a long time. One of the main uses, is to drag audio samples from AF in to an empty track in DP while I'm scoring a film. It's a quick way to audition my library of sounds, and then drag it over. Recently, something strange has been happening, and I'm not sure if it's a DP thing, an AF thing, or a Yosemite thing.

When I drag a sample over, it copies in to the track as expected, and it looks like DP is now in the foreground. Although... it really isn't. DP is in the menu bar at the top, but none of my key commands work. Option clicking on a track won't rename it. Hitting enter will not start play back. Only way to get things working is to switch to another app, and then back to DP again.

Guess I'm trying to find a way to always keep DP in the foreground while I'm working. Or, at least, figure out why Audio Finder isn't releasing when I drag over a sample (even though DP shows itself in the foregound). Any ideas?
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: DP with Audio Finder

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

DP does loose focus sometimes in OS X. Not a new problem, unfortunately... there are a few related threads if you search for "loose focus" or "keyboard focus."

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 1597&hilit
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Tripi wrote:I've been using Audio Finder as a dedicated 3rd screen app with DP for a long time. One of the main uses, is to drag audio samples from AF in to an empty track in DP while I'm scoring a film. It's a quick way to audition my library of sounds, and then drag it over. Recently, something strange has been happening, and I'm not sure if it's a DP thing, an AF thing, or a Yosemite thing.

When I drag a sample over, it copies in to the track as expected, and it looks like DP is now in the foreground. Although... it really isn't. DP is in the menu bar at the top, but none of my key commands work. Option clicking on a track won't rename it. Hitting enter will not start play back. Only way to get things working is to switch to another app, and then back to DP again.

Guess I'm trying to find a way to always keep DP in the foreground while I'm working. Or, at least, figure out why Audio Finder isn't releasing when I drag over a sample (even though DP shows itself in the foregound). Any ideas?
If you start your drag operation, then used command-tab to switch to DP, then finish the drag operation, it works much better.

I also have an application (http://manytricks.com/butler/) that lets me setup a hotkey to bring DP to the foreground. So I can just hit F15 and now DP is in the foreground and ready to go.

I've had no issues doing it this way.
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

I did see the other thread about it, but I guess I thought it might have been resolved by now. The switching to DP while dragging is a good idea. I just set up a quickey command to TAB in AF that switches back to DP. Real easy work around I guess.
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

This got me to poking around AF because I use it in the same way and I found something interesting..maybe not completely useful, but something I didn't know. Anyways..Did you know you can use DP (or any other app) as the Sample Tool Editor? I didn't.

Once set up..the next time you double click a file in AF, it opens it in your current DP project in the Waveform Editor thus bringing DP into focus and the file ready to be dragged to its track.

How to:

In AF goto:
Options/Tools Setup..
There is a big box under "double click audio editor" with a Choose button to the right.
Select Choose then find your DP app in the Applications folder and select it. Then click Choose.
This will take you back to the Tools Setup box.
Uncheck "Use Built in Sample Tool"
Click OK

Thats it. Now DP is the Sample Edit Tool. So you don't have to drag all the way from 2 monitors over yonder.

Wether this is better than the way you are doing it now, I don't know. But it was something I just found out and thought I would share.
MIDI Life Crisis

BTW, there was a recent update to AF... http://www.icedaudio.com/site/
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

That's interesting. I've never seen that one before either, but it works well. Would be even better if the "spot to" function worked with DP. Thanks!
MIDI Life Crisis

Don't forget about Snapper! I wish it would spot to DP!

http://www.audioease.com/Pages/Snapper/snapper.html
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
frankf

Post by frankf »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Don't forget about Snapper! I wish it would spot to DP!

http://www.audioease.com/Pages/Snapper/snapper.html
+1 MLC

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB