Automation to change plugin preset

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
massimosammi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Automation to change plugin preset

Post by massimosammi »

Hello there,
is there a way to automate the change of preset (factory or user) for a plugin? For example, let's say I have Proverb on an aux track and I want to change from a hall preset to a room preset, and draw that change as automation in the sequence window. I saw that it's possible to change the parameters of a preset (time, damp, mix etc.) but I can't find a way to switch to another preset.
Thanks in advance!!
Tritonemusic

Re: Automation to change plugin preset

Post by Tritonemusic »

You can do that with "Automation Snapshot."
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
massimosammi

Post by massimosammi »

Thanks Tritonemusic!
I tried but for some reason it doesn't work. I followed literally all the step in the manual at page 802, but still it doesn't change the preset.
Any idea of what could that be?
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

First, make sure that Automation ("Auto") is enabled in the plug-in window (select "Play"). Place the Playback Wiper at the point you want the change, select the new preset, then take a snapshot from your plug-in window. Try setting it to "From counter to chunk end." It should change at that point. I tried it a few minutes ago, and it worked for me.

If you've already done that, I'm not sure what the issue could be.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Alternately, you could instantiate two instances with the individual preset in each. Then use automation to mute and activate each at will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

massimosammi wrote:Thanks Tritonemusic!
I tried but for some reason it doesn't work. I followed literally all the step in the manual at page 802, but still it doesn't change the preset.
Any idea of what could that be?
Have you been to Automation Setup and selected "All" for controller and data types types? It may be only recording the basic pan, volume, expression, etc. You've got to be sure it's recording the parameters of plugins. In Automation Setup, you look around till you find what allows that to be recorded (sorry; it's not open right now, and that's a dialog I hardly ever look at), then be sure you apply it globally and locally to all tracks.

Also, be careful about your Snapshot parameters. Be sure you're not overwriting other things, and that each snapshot you do writes to the end of the sequence or to the end of the selection. You can take a snapshot of before and after (at) the change point, have one write back to the beginning and the 2nd one writes to the end, or whatever is appropriate for that situation in your mix.

It SHOULD work, but there are many ways to make it NOT work. Just look carefully at what you're setting, and don't hit OK until you've read all the settings and are sure you're doing the right thing. Once you figure it out, the rest will be fast.

That said, I realize I haven't used snapshots on plugins in a long time. There may be a bug I haven't seen. But I'd be willing to bet that it works.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
massimosammi

Post by massimosammi »

Thanks so much Shooshie! I'll pay attention to all of that and let you know if it works.

Best,
Massi

- Late 2011 8,2 MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, OS 10.10.2, 480GB Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G SSD OS Drive, 480GB OWC Mercury Electra 3G SSD - Optical Bay Sample Drive, DP 8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, VEPro 5, Vienna MIRPro
dpg4macman

Post by dpg4macman »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Alternately, you could instantiate two instances with the individual preset in each. Then use automation to mute and activate each at will.

I second that
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

dpg4macman wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Alternately, you could instantiate two instances with the individual preset in each. Then use automation to mute and activate each at will.

I second that
Probably gives you even more flexibility.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS