Comping and muting the previous take during new punch take

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
sampolfonz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Comping and muting the previous take during new punch take

Post by sampolfonz »

Is this possible...

I am recording a take, I choose to record a punch in as a new take. I want the previous lane take to mute at the point of the punch in, allowing for the new take only to be heard at place of punch, resuming playback after the punch out.

Currently, punch of course is working good, but the previous take plays when new take is being recorded.

Sam
Guitar Gaz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Comping and muting the previous take during new punch ta

Post by Guitar Gaz »

You could copy the take or soundbite to another track and just edge edit or cut the soundbite so it stops before your punch in point. Then when you play that soundbite it will stop when your punch in comes and you record on a new take. Comp them together once you are happy. Simples.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
sampolfonz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sampolfonz »

Thanks for that, but I don't describe that as simple. I'm coming here from another daw. When you punch a track, set up the locators around the area, when the "in" comes the old track drops out and doesn't come back until the "out" locator is reached.

I'm going to mess with this some more. Thanks for your assistance, though. You were kind to respond.

Sam
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

sampolfonz wrote:Thanks for that, but I don't describe that as simple. I'm coming here from another daw. When you punch a track, set up the locators around the area, when the "in" comes the old track drops out and doesn't come back until the "out" locator is reached.

I'm going to mess with this some more. Thanks for your assistance, though. You were kind to respond.

Sam
Why do you need a punch in anymore? If you use separate tracks you really don't need punch ins. And my "simples" quote was not denigrating you - it is an advert here in England where the meerkats say "simples" all the time. Whatever other DAWs do isn't really an issue - with the simplicity of creating additional tracks I can't understand why anyone would want to punch in on an existing track or even take. Take a new one and just edit the soundbites and comp. I have never even used the punch in facility on DP - there is no real need as far as I can see. My response was to help you see that you don't really need to make things difficult for yourself by punching in - just create another track and edit afterwards.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Guitar Gaz wrote: .... with the simplicity of creating additional tracks I can't understand why anyone would want to punch in on an existing track or even take. Take a new one and just edit the soundbites and comp. I have never even used the punch in facility on DP - there is no real need as far as I can see. My response was to help you see that you don't really need to make things difficult for yourself by punching in - just create another track and edit afterwards.
+1000

I don't think I have EVER used the punch-in function. Can't think of a faster way than simply using new tracks or takes for this. Much simpler.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

FMiguelez wrote:
Guitar Gaz wrote: .... with the simplicity of creating additional tracks I can't understand why anyone would want to punch in on an existing track or even take. Take a new one and just edit the soundbites and comp. I have never even used the punch in facility on DP - there is no real need as far as I can see. My response was to help you see that you don't really need to make things difficult for yourself by punching in - just create another track and edit afterwards.
+1000

I don't think I have EVER used the punch-in function. Can't think of a faster way than simply using new tracks or takes for this. Much simpler.
Same here. "Punch-in" seems like an old tape-oriented concept that DAW's have obviated the need for. Just my opinion. I've never done it, but if you set your monitor settings right you should still be able to do an old-school punch-in. Some one here should know specifics.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Sam, I don't use punch, for the same reasons: there is no shortage of tracks. I do use cycle record in overdub mode, and that is easy to set up, and should do what you want. Each cycle creates a Take track, previous cycles are muted, and you can comp the results. If you read through the manual starting at the bottom of p 225, you'll see you can use punch in conjunction with cycle recording, although all this is really doing is giving you some pre and post roll for each cycle. But even that is unnecessary -- much easier to edge edit the punch point after the fact.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

sampolfonz wrote:Is this possible...

I am recording a take, I choose to record a punch in as a new take. I want the previous lane take to mute at the point of the punch in, allowing for the new take only to be heard at place of punch, resuming playback after the punch out.

Currently, punch of course is working good, but the previous take plays when new take is being recorded.

Sam
Out of curiosity, which DAW automatically mutes the previous take when punching in?

I think the easiest way to do what you want is to duplicate the take you want to punch-in over, then punch-in 'as normal'. This gives you the behaviour you want in a fairly straightforward way.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:I do use cycle record in overdub mode, and that is easy to set up, and should do what you want. Each cycle creates a Take track, previous cycles are muted, and you can comp the results.
I keep forgetting this is even possible. I've read about it half a dozen times, but have yet to actually do it. This time I'm going to remember!!! :shake:

As for using Punch In, I have used it often. The Pre-roll is useful. I don't recall punch-in ever malfunctioning and playing the part in the track where you are recording. Am I misunderstanding the problem in some fundamental way?

BTW, I've also used extra tracks — scratch tracks — which you'd find in all my old MIDI files, usually several in each file. Just record the part in the scratch track, then drag what you want of it into the original track. (Tracks Overview Window usually)

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Punching in is still a good way to work when the performer needs a reference leading into the overdub. I often use the "punch in to duplicate take" approach Robert suggests.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

HCMarkus wrote:Punching in is still a good way to work when the performer needs a reference leading into the overdub. I often use the "punch in to duplicate take" approach Robert suggests.
When you say "needs a reference" what do you mean by this? My suggested method was to cut the take's soundbite so you can hear that leading up to the drop in point of the new take on the new track. Is that what you mean by reference? If so you can hear the previous take in my method as a cue. So not sure what you mean and why I would have any use for punching in.
Gary Shepherd
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Shooshie wrote:
bayswater wrote:I do use cycle record in overdub mode, and that is easy to set up, and should do what you want. Each cycle creates a Take track, previous cycles are muted, and you can comp the results.
I keep forgetting this is even possible. I've read about it half a dozen times, but have yet to actually do it. This time I'm going to remember!!! :shake:

Shooshie
Cycle record in overdub is one of the best things in DP and I have been using this for years on vocals and guitar overdubs. In fact it makes Polar redundant - another function of DP (along with Punch In) that I have never needed to use.

However, DP covers all bases and retains these functions for those that want to use them - although we could argue they are no longer relevant to most users.
Gary Shepherd
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Guitar Gaz wrote: In fact it makes Polar redundant - another function of DP (along with Punch In) that I have never needed to use.
I was half expecting to see you explain why I'd want to use Polar. I've never been able to see the point of it. The manual says it's different because you can overdub on the current take. That sounds like a physical impossibility to me.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

bayswater wrote:The manual says it's different because you can overdub on the current take. That sounds like a physical impossibility to me.
Actually, it really does do that if you set it up that way.

I think that's because POLAR records directly to RAM, as opposed to hard disk.
Last edited by Tritonemusic on Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Actually, it really does do that if you set it up that way.
....not sure I would want to - again just record on another track....
Gary Shepherd