IRCAM TS is $99 right now

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: IRCAM TS is $99 right now

Post by James Steele »

Bwahahaha!!! I had to laugh at that one... SO sharing on my Facebook!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Image
HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Now, in light of Whiplash, the Movie, I have to ask him if he deliberately sabotaged his suicide, or did he just •••• it up?
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Count to four.... [smack!]... was I rushing or dragging? :P Seriously, one of my favorite movies of the year.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bongo_x

Post by bongo_x »

After years of evaluating my own playing deficiencies I discovered why I tended to speed up (rarely do people slow down). In my case and I suspect others, I had a tendency to "shortchange" a beat every so often. Then to compensate and match the shorter beat I'd make the tempo match the shorter beat. The process is cumulative
In years of fixing performances I have found that to be exactly it. Sometimes a a rushed note sounds exciting to play, but then you have to get back to the beat. Even most late things that sound funny are actually a rushed note that occurred earlier.

James, if you want to change the tempo of a whole track I’d just varispeed it. That’s how it’s been done for decades. Less "artifacts" because we’re so used to hearing it.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

bongo_x wrote:
After years of evaluating my own playing deficiencies I discovered why I tended to speed up (rarely do people slow down). In my case and I suspect others, I had a tendency to "shortchange" a beat every so often. Then to compensate and match the shorter beat I'd make the tempo match the shorter beat. The process is cumulative
In years of fixing performances I have found that to be exactly it. Sometimes a a rushed note sounds exciting to play, but then you have to get back to the beat. Even most late things that sound funny are actually a rushed note that occurred earlier.

James, if you want to change the tempo of a whole track I’d just varispeed it. That’s how it’s been done for decades. Less "artifacts" because we’re so used to hearing it.
Varispeed?? You mean tape? Dp doesn't have varispeed, pro tools does
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bongo_x wrote:

It'll change the pitch of course through, yes?

bongo_x

Post by bongo_x »

It will change the pitch. It usually usually sounds OK unless you’re changing the tempo a lot, in which case I’d do some heavy editing.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

bongo_x wrote:It will change the pitch. It usually usually sounds OK unless you’re changing the tempo a lot, in which case I’d do some heavy editing.
I don't agree with the varispeed advice at all
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Changing the pitch just to change the speed is a no-go for me.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

That's why we have IRCAM in MachFive, TS, or any other of the cool apps that change speed but not pitch.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:That's why we have IRCAM in MachFive, TS, or any other of the cool apps that change speed but not pitch.
TS? Suddenly I'm drawing a blank.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

Shooshie wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:That's why we have IRCAM in MachFive, TS, or any other of the cool apps that change speed but not pitch.
TS? Suddenly I'm drawing a blank.
Look up... LOL

(made you look!) :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

DOH! (I looked)

Must be French, something like Transforme Sonique.
I once read where French scribes, in the Middle Ages, were paid by the letter, so they found reason to add letters to every word. Good story, but I have no idea if it's true.
(Edit: Mostly untrue. Here's a great discussion about it.)

Shooshie
MIDI Life Crisis

I try to get paid by the note. Ha ha! Truth is, some composer write wall to wall tv music to increase their PRO income. I know one guy who says all his cues are main themes, thinking he'll get paid the higher main theme rate when in fact he only gets credit for the first one and all the other cues are discarded by ASCAP. And then he wonders why he gets $30 for a 2 hour silent film on TCM that should pay around $3-5k. That's ok, some other composer gets a bigger piece of the pie for being honest. :) Honesty really DOES pay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS