Problem: DP 8 Upgrade Many Menu items Greyed out

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MeisterEckhardt
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Problem: DP 8 Upgrade Many Menu items Greyed out

Post by MeisterEckhardt »

Hi,
Got all psyched to get DP 8, finally, from DP 6.

Many menu items, including the CPU activity meter (Audio Performance) are greyed out.

I did a search on this term "greyed out" but overwhelmed by all the posts.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening?
Here's my specs and I meet all minimum system requirements
-I'm on OS X 10.6.8
-4 gb ram
-I chose AU as my default instead of VST
-8 pre (firewire model) as an interface
-I upgraded the driver software and rebooted
-I choose aiff interleaved as my default but wondered if Wav default by Motu should've solved my problem, so I re-chose that and it didn't help
-I am in 32 bit mode. I can't upgrade hardware at this point, or Machfive2 and MX4, either, they are great and I have limited funds, which are the only two external VI's I use.
-My songs from DP 6 play fine. I resaved as a DP 8 file, this still did not allow me to select the Audio Performance meter. I realize greyed out means contextually sensitive for many functions, I get that, but there seems to be no way to activate it at all or Tools and a few other settings. Tools should always be available

- The only parameter I didn't mess with was the frame rate... I didn't know the default... that has something to do with syncing and stuff and my greyed out menu items make me think it's a global issue, not contextually sensitive. I always stop the song to try to activate Tools and Audio Performance with no luck.

-What is the Motu default fps for video even though I am not using it?

Any ideas much appreciated!

Thank you.
Meister
Mac Mini 2012 under El Capitan OS X with 16 GB RAM, Motu MIDI Express XT, Motu 828 MK II Firewire, Motu 8pre, Korg o1W/fd, Yamaha S80, TrapKat, Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute drums, lots of percussion, Roland VS-1680, Mics, Fender J Bass, hens, tamworth pigs, barn cats, one incredibly smart and lovable farm collie. (Animals great for sampling, no batteries required).
wesdrums

Re: Problem: DP 8 Upgrade Many Menu items Greyed out

Post by wesdrums »

I asked MOTU tech support yesterday the same thing, here is the response I got from "Magic" Dave
"CPU Performance is grayed out as a menu item because it is currently displayed in the Control Bar. Go to the Digital Performer menu>Preferences>Display>Control Panel If you deselect any checked item here, that item will not be displayed in the Control Panel but will be available as a menu item and separate window. "
Worked for me.
DP10 | Mac OS 10.13.6
Mac Pro (Late 2013) | 2.7GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5 | 64 GB | AMD FirePro D700
Shooshie

Re: Problem: DP 8 Upgrade Many Menu items Greyed out

Post by Shooshie »

So, the question, then, is whether you're using the full-screen, full-width control panel. If that's the case, you may already have those things opened, in which case they'd be grayed out.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|