Best Drum VI or library for Jazz brush ballad?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
SMS
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Best Drum VI or library for Jazz brush ballad?

Post by SMS »

I'm slowly migrating over to all VIs from MIDI land- this project needs jazz ballad brush drums... Which VI would you recommend for this- I have Steven Slate drums which is great for sticks, but the brush kit is lacking- I need swishes and swirls- ditto for the drums included w/ MachFive3.

All input welcomed.

Thanks

Bill Spencer
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
David Polich

Re: Best Drum VI or library for Jazz brush ballad?

Post by David Polich »

BFD Jazz and Funk has a lot of great jazz brush kits. Of course, you'll need BFD (version 2 or version 3) to run it:

http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=14&tab=37

Some of the other expansion packs and third-party packs for BFD contain jazz brush drums.
Here's another - BFD "Virtually Erskine" expansion pack:

http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=227

You just need to click on the expansion names to hear the demos and you can see a list of kit pieces for each expansion.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I recommend a real drummer.

Sorry. Just had to say it.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:Sorry. Just had to say it.
Man... I had to squint for that one! :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
rnappi

Post by rnappi »

You can do some pretty decent mock ups with Vienna Jazz Drums. The brush snares in particular are really nice. http://vsl.co.at/en/Percussion_Complete ... Jazz_Drums

Straight Ahead Samples is also good. They have stick and brush kits that use a combo of loops and individual hits. It's a little pricey, but the overall sound is very convincing. That said, I feel like the individual hits could use a few more articulations and velocity layers. http://straightaheadsamples.com/shop-2/product-bundles/

rich
2012 Mac Pro 3.46 Ghz Westmere 12 Core_96G Ram_OSX 10.12.6_DP 9.5
SMS

Post by SMS »

Thanks, all!

BIll
DP 11.23
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

EZdrummer comes with the Cocktail Kit, which I used for this track (not a ballad; sorry):

https://soundcloud.com/babz_nyc/black-samba

There is also a nice Jazz EZX expansion, which has brush kits. Check out:

http://www.toontrack.com/product/jazz-ezx/

EZDrummer has an interface that is fun to work with.

Babz
SMS

Post by SMS »

Thanks, Babz. I downloaded the demos for both EZ and BFD and like them both. The Bfd interface won't fit on my 13" MacBook screen, unless I'm missing something not instantly obvious... For that reason along with price and your reinforcement of my initial ecaluation, I think I'm going with EZ.

Bill
DP 11.23
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote:I recommend a real drummer.

Sorry. Just had to say it.
When I sold my kit nearly 30 years ago, I kept my spare snare, brushes, a pair of mallets and sticks. Came in really handy many times over the years. Can't do that anymore but nothing beats the real deal here.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
BobK

Post by BobK »

The Roots-Brushes expansion SDX expansion pack for Superior Drummer 2 is really nice. Toontrack created an interesting way of programming the swirls on the snare (though don't recall the details, unfortunately). Very realistic.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

All of the above are good recommendations. I started with BFD and for many years used primarily VSL's at-the-time free bonus jazz drums (for early buyers of Vienna Suite).

To be quite frank though, my favorite jazz brush kit at this point is the freebie from Sennheiser (if still available), called "DrumMic'a!" (Kontakt). Very dynamic and full of articulations. Even better, it's a Kontakt Player Library, so you don't need a full Kontakt license to use it!

I've had trouble with VSL in the mix as it is so soft that I have to pull it WAY up before I can start working with it. It has a lot of snare articulations. Still amongst the best, but the cymbals are a bit weak. You can easily augment those with cymbals from various BFD or Kontakt-based sets though.

Wavesfactory may still be celebrating their anniversary with a 50% off sale. They recently added a nice BrushDrums library.

I went ahead and bought the Straight Ahead! libraries during their sale a few months back, and also the Supeior and Addictive jazz material, but can't comment as I haven't had a chance to use them yet.

Wavelore also has a Brush Kit, and you can test Straight Ahead! with their freebie kit first.

One of the nice things about Straight Ahead! is that they also include mallets (on a drum set).
Last edited by mhschmieder on Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

rnappi wrote:You can do some pretty decent mock ups with Vienna Jazz Drums. The brush snares in particular are really nice. http://vsl.co.at/en/Percussion_Complete ... Jazz_Drums

Straight Ahead Samples is also good. They have stick and brush kits that use a combo of loops and individual hits. It's a little pricey, but the overall sound is very convincing. That said, I feel like the individual hits could use a few more articulations and velocity layers. http://straightaheadsamples.com/shop-2/product-bundles/

rich
As a straight ahead Jazz player, I find that the folks at Straight Ahead Samples are REAL jazz people. Does this mean their stuff is the best? I can’t be sure. But if you watch the videos there, they are seriously anal when it comes to little nuances on bass, drums etc.....
They really care and really understand these nuances and seem to go to great pains to make things legit.
For example, Upright Bass pull offs, or..when a bass player would change to an open string in a bass line..they UNDERSTAND this and incorporate this understanding into the programming of their VIs.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Nevertheless, Kontakt is not a very good interface for drums. That's why I didn't list Drum Masters 2 (though many of those kist a re also now available in BFD format, thankfully). I mentioned the freebie from Sennheiser just because they bothered to do heavy scripting and also because the sampling is so deep and musical!

I hope to start making more use of the Straight Ahead! stuff the next time I get back to my MIDI based jazz projects. Too busy recording live musicians and doing live gigs at the moment. But the couple of trial runs I did impressed me, except for the awkwardness of using Kontakt to do it.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

My 2¢...

Having played jazz for most of my life, I'm skeptical that a VI would be able to capture or reproduce the nuance in jazz brush playing—particularly on a ballad. Perhaps if the user isn't too picky and the part isn't too exposed, a result might be able to be achieved that would be considered "good enough" for some, but can only imagine it would take an inordinate amount of time to do so. Personally, my choices would be (1) if at all possible, record a real drummer (a real jazz drummer with the right kit and chops) or (2) as a last resort drop the needle on a sample CD (Peter Erskine's "Living Drums" or Samplephonics' "Brushed Grooves" come to mind) and spend my time doing some creative audio editing of real playing to get the part to sing.

Again, just one guy's opinion.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Rick Cornish wrote:My 2¢...

Having played jazz for most of my life, I'm skeptical that a VI would be able to capture or reproduce the nuance in jazz brush playing—particularly on a ballad. Perhaps if the user isn't too picky and the part isn't too exposed, a result might be able to be achieved that would be considered "good enough" for some, but can only imagine it would take an inordinate amount of time to do so. Personally, my choices would be (1) if at all possible, record a real drummer (a real jazz drummer with the right kit and chops) or (2) as a last resort drop the needle on a sample CD (Peter Erskine's "Living Drums" or Samplephonics' "Brushed Grooves" come to mind) and spend my time doing some creative audio editing of real playing to get the part to sing.

Again, just one guy's opinion.
I think most of us feel that way about our own instruments. VI libraries never come close to what we actually do with our instruments. As a saxophonist, my reactions to most sax libraries range from disappointment to outright laughter, never "wow, they GOT it!" But we accept the compromise, because most of us can't afford to pay a full orchestra to show up at our houses every day to record another round of doodles that may or may not amount to anything. That's why most people call these "mockups." I've tried to make actual recordings with VIs, and it works if it's slipped into a bunch of live instruments, but an entire recording of just VIs usually lacks something... something big.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|