Best Drum VI or library for Jazz brush ballad?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Best Drum VI or library for Jazz brush ballad?

Post by Rick Cornish »

Well said, Shooshie. I just wanted to echo the point made earlier about live players (and it's certainly much more affordable to hire a drummer than a string orchestra) as well as introduce the notion of using loop CDs to incorporate real playing.... which is more viable than a VI in this case—at least in my view.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

You mean like Apple Loops? REX? Those kinds of things? Obviously you're referring to some tailored for percussion, but same deal, right?

That's all well and good, but I've got one question that I've never really figured out. How do you find exactly what you're looking for? I could have spent years searching just the Apple Loops in Logic, and I just wasn't finding what I wanted. Close, but... well... no cigar.

Are there libraries that come with some kind of pattern catalogue? Maybe cross referenced between rhythms (perhaps in notation form, on a grid or something), and style, instrumentation, dynamics... I mean, already just that little idea there is getting out of hand. How do you do it?

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Rick Cornish wrote:My 2¢...

Having played jazz for most of my life, I'm skeptical that a VI would be able to capture or reproduce the nuance in jazz brush playing—particularly on a ballad. Perhaps if the user isn't too picky and the part isn't too exposed, a result might be able to be achieved that would be considered "good enough" for some, but can only imagine it would take an inordinate amount of time to do so. Personally, my choices would be (1) if at all possible, record a real drummer (a real jazz drummer with the right kit and chops) or (2) as a last resort drop the needle on a sample CD (Peter Erskine's "Living Drums" or Samplephonics' "Brushed Grooves" come to mind) and spend my time doing some creative audio editing of real playing to get the part to sing.

Again, just one guy's opinion.
Your opinion is quite valid Rick. But let me add an aspect to things that you may not ave considered.
Any time I, as a human, REAL player, START with something from a VI library, I end up PLAYING TO IT. This makes it COME TO LIFE. So what may have been some sort of indistinguishable jazz brush part, or hip hop loop or whatever it is, come to life due to MY playing.
And if done right, this makes that particular VI come to life. Is it is a good as being in the studio with a live drummer who is reposting back and forth with me? No. But it is an over simplification to think a static MIDI part remains so once a real play attaches himself to it. it does indeed take on a life of it’s own even if done in a somewhat reverse manner. The same thing happens with a simple metronome. It’s clicking, without any apparent feel to it. A great player starts swinging up against it and VIOLA....it suddenly swings.
Un human can be brought to life...just like frankenstein said...lol
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Any time I, as a human, REAL player, START with something from a VI library, I end up PLAYING TO IT. This makes it COME TO LIFE. So what may have been some sort of indistinguishable jazz brush part, or hip hop loop or whatever it is, come to life due to MY playing.
Definitely considered this, which is why I write most of my music in DP (unless I'm scoring for big band or orchestra). The point is, pushing a button to play back a sample of someone playing brushes on a drum kit—no matter how expertly played, recorded and programmed into a sample player—will never duplicate the flow and nuance of a real player. Personally, I find sample CDs—like the Peter Erskine disc—where you have a minute or more continuous playing, give me more to work with and enable me to better approach the illusion of having a real player on the track.

But again, that's just my opinion.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Dunno what the OP ended up doing, or if they are still looking, but I got an email today sayimg that this was on special.

No idea if it is good or not, here FYI: http://www.thelooploft.com/products/bru ... s-volume-1
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

After Dave downloaded the Sennheiser library, he was wondering where the brushes were, so I rechecked my copy and the user manual and found I had likely remembered wrong. It's just that the kit was recorded so well that its highly nuanced playing (in particular the awesome snare) ended up giving me more of the feel I was looking for than any of my brushes kits.

As an additional note (since I had forgotten), you have to go to their German site and wade through German to get through the process of the download. My German sucks, but I managed anyway.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

FWIW, came across this VI today…

http://www.acousticsamples.net/drums/drumtastebrush

Very nice sampling, though the result for a jazz ballad is not what a real player would play. Nevertheless, it sounds very nice and—short of complex "stirring" snare work—looks to be agood tool for anyone needing brush work.
Rick Cornish

BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

BKK-OZ wrote:Dunno what the OP ended up doing, or if they are still looking, but I got an email today sayimg that this was on special.

No idea if it is good or not, here FYI: http://www.thelooploft.com/products/bru ... s-volume-1
Update, bundle on special for a few days: http://www.thelooploft.com/products/bun ... 5032caaf3a
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Unless I bought it and forgot I had it (and this would have been in December during the sales), I wasn't aware of the AcousticSamples brush library, even though I thought I drilled deep into their catalogue during recent sales. At least, I don't recognize the GUI on that product page.

They're a pretty good sample library developer overall. I would say on par with SampleTekk, which means above average and occasionally excellent but not in the Top 10 (a tough task, indeed, with all the great developers out there now). This also means their libraries are all usable and musical, and are a good purchase especially for stuff that hasn't been covered by others.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Just as a side note/addendum/whatever….personally I find drum loop libraries (or any
sampled phrase library, for that matter) completely useless. The main reason is that the
loops don't "adjust" to your composition. I did start my musical life as a drummer, so I just
"play" drum VI's like I know a drummer would play. That's why all I need from a library is good
individual sounds - I'll record the right part myself using my fingers on the keyboard.

To Shooshie - two things a keyboard player should never use - the D-50 "Fantasia" patch,
and a sampled saxophone. That said, I know a number of MIDI orchestrators who do such amazing "mockups" that if they hadn't shown me the actual project files (usually DP), I would
have said that's a real orchestra. So I know that music done entirely with MIDI and virtual instruments can sound completely convincing. There's a lot of it on television these days,
because the music budgets are so small, there isn't money (or time) to hire bands or orchestras.

How convincing or authentic a sample-based VI is depends mostly on the skill set of the person "playing " it. I'll give you another example - I've heard Greg Phillinganes play
a guitar patch on a keyboard and damn if it didn't sound like a great guitar player. Greg
is one of those guys who really knows how to play idiomatically, understanding what instrument ranges and behaviors are, and what players can and can't do.

So if you have a virtual clarinet up and running in your project, then you have to be a clarinet
player for that instance. If it's a trumpet, you become a trumpet player. If it's a guitar, you're
a guitar player. This is not always the case with people who do MIDI composing, and thus you
get stuff that doesn't sound cohesive or authentic.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Spot on, David.

You have to BE him or her.

My music, at least, the last time I made any, which was years ago, was always much more "convincing" and engaging (to me at least) than I'd expected. I put this down to "becoming" the various contributors, and, following that, the sum of those constituent parts.

There's no place for ego in this endeavour. For me, this is the foundational principle.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

David Polich wrote:JHow convincing or authentic a sample-based VI is depends mostly on the skill set of the person "playing " it.
I started using a WX-7 when the DX7-II came out, back when we thought that was an exciting advancement over the DX-7. In fact, I had a DX-7-II-E!, which expanded the DX7-II to an 8-voice multi-timbral instrument. Wow. :roll: At that time, we were excited to get even in the ballpark of the sound of a real instrument, so what I learned was that making an instrument sound convincing was ALL in the idiomatic playing. Otherwise, there just wan't that much difference between a trumpet sound and a violin, or even a solo flute. So, I turned off the LFO on all sounds to make it possible to play the vibrato naturally, with the WX-7, and made sure that blowing harder added harmonics, not just a volume control. The rest was up to us when we played it. ("Us" being my friend and myself; we each played a WX-7 with synthesized orchestra, while playing things like duo concertos or any other work that included duo voices.)

So, yeah, idiomatic playing is the key. Even today with samples that may be fairly convincing on their own, nothing sounds as real as when you play it in the stylistic idiom of the instrument you're mimicking. That's why I always tried to find libraries that allow you to turn off the vibrato and create it naturally. I've about given up on that with most modern libraries, however, opting now to control the speed and depth of the vibrato with pedals rather than to try to create it as I do on the sax. (Yamaha WX instruments have a "reed" with a pressure transducer that can vary the pitch as you move your embouchure up and down, as you would with pressure on the reed of an actual instrument.) Most libraries just make it too hard to do that. But all the other elements of idiomatic playing are usually possible.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
rob fetters

Post by rob fetters »

Best results for me (besides a real drummer and 2 mics): "Purrrfect Brushes" — genuine sounding and cheap ($19), works in Kontakt.

http://www.studiocat.com/open_cart/inde ... duct_id=63

I use it for more than jazz, but speaking of technique—great jazz drummers often play less than I would imagine. They let the listener fill in the spaces.
I learned that in a session in Cincinnati where John Von Ohlen drove a ballad almost entirely with sparse hi-hat hits. Maybe tapped the kick 4 times in the whole piece. It was breathtaking—like watching a tight rope act—and as fascinating to watch as somebody like Bill Bruford, who's busier, but still honors the space between the notes.
DP 10.13 / OSX 10.14.6
MacPro 3.33 6-Core w/SSD, 32G RAM. Metric Halo I/O. (...using MH Console as a summing mixer.)
VIs / plug-ins include NI Komplete, VSL, Slate, Sound Toys, Voxengo, Kush, Eventide, Oeksound, Izotope.
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

rob fetters wrote:[...] but speaking of technique—great jazz drummers often play less than I would imagine. They let the listener fill in the spaces.[...]
Thanks for sharing, Rob.
That's my major rule in many circumstances.
AFAICT, works in quite all musical contexts.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

rob fetters wrote:Best results for me (besides a real drummer and 2 mics): "Purrrfect Brushes" — genuine sounding and cheap ($19), works in Kontakt.

http://www.studiocat.com/open_cart/inde ... duct_id=63

I use it for more than jazz, but speaking of technique—great jazz drummers often play less than I would imagine.
Umm, yeah - warning Will Robinson! I bought and downloaded this. It is WINDOWS only. The ReadMe says they were compressed with 7-zip, and I tried installing 7-2x for Mac to unzip them, but they just unzip as Unix files. Not only that, but the 7-2x installer also installed
malware on MacBook…something called cinema pro-1, which fortunately I was able to remove after about an hour of nail-biting.

Until this vendor gets his act together and posts downloads in regular zip or RAR format,
I'd stay away from this product.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com