How would you setup a variable speed playback for practice?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How would you setup a variable speed playback for practi

Post by Shooshie »

HobbyCore wrote:I'm curious if/when I should duplicate the sequence. I could save more time by having a new chunk for each common tempo requested. I'm probably over-optimizing this, but if I can spend an hour now to save myself a minute every day for the rest of my working life... I'm willing to do it :mrgreen:

This lets me keep my markers intact and adjust the mix as necessary. WAY better than how I was doing it before. I hope this thread perhaps helps someone else in the future.
I don't see any down-side to doing it this way. As far as I know, you won't be duplicating any soundbites or large files, just instructions for stretching the output. I mean, all (or nearly all) actions in DP are virtual and do not alter the original soundbites. This will probably work very well.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
sampolfonz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sampolfonz »

There is a little program called CAPO. It slows things down or speeds things up, changes pitch and works fantastic.

Just get it. Cheap and is just what you are looking for.

Sam
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Or step up to the professional level and get Mach V. Time stretching, transpose.. doesn't get any better.

I'm sure R.... works just as well..

:rofl:
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Not DP but, I've been using Amazing Slow Downer for years.
http://www.ronimusic.com/amsldox.htm
It's so convenient and easy to export mp3's to other band members in our case- a lot of times we're changing keys or tempos or both, learning complicated solos/riffs, etc. The EQ is handy too for emphasizing certain parts you're trying to pick out (isolating bass notes, vocal harmony parts etc).
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce