64 vs 32

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
theprez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

64 vs 32

Post by theprez »

I'm trying to resolve a plug-in error issue, and I've been asked to confirm that I'm running (DP7.24) in 64 bit. I think I am, but how exactly do I verify that?

I also just ordered the upgrade to 8 (and will subsequently go with 9). Will I lose the use of any 32bit plugs when I do. I use GSI's VB3 a lot, and I'd hate to have it give it up.
Thanks
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: 64 vs 32

Post by James Steele »

theprez wrote:I'm trying to resolve a plug-in error issue, and I've been asked to confirm that I'm running (DP7.24) in 64 bit. I think I am, but how exactly do I verify that?
You aren't. DP 7.24 is 32-bit only. You have to upgrade to DP 8 if you want the app to be able to run in 64 bit mode and access more than 4GB RAM.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
theprez

Post by theprez »

OK. Thanks. DP8 should be here next week.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

And when you install and start using DP8, you don't have to give up your 32-bit plugs and VI's.
Sound Radix's 32 Lives app will "64 bit-ize" your 32-bit plugs and VI's and then you can use them in DP8 in 64-bit mode.

Download the demo or just purchase here:
http://www.soundradix.com/products/32-lives
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
theprez

Post by theprez »

Well I downloaded DP8 and 32 Lives and things are looking better.
Thanks for the advice.
I'm curious why none of the new included MOTU plugs have any presets, but perhaps that is a question for another thread.