VEPro MAS version is out

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Chris T
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: VEPro MAS version is out

Post by Chris T »

Hey Tripi:

Re. your issue of audio glitch during tempo changes, I'm getting that too. See my post from yesterday. It's definitely VEP with DP, and an issue that needs to be resolved...

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=59360
Main SYS: 12-Core New Mac Pro (Dec 2013), 64GB RAM, OS10.10, Apollo Quad Interface, 3xSSD work/sound drives in TB Enclosure, UAD Plugs, DP, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2nd SYS: Intel 8-Core Mac Pro (2007), 28GB RAM, OS10.7, MOTU PCI 424, 2408 interfaces (4), DP8.07, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2 Mac Minis (2011): Dual Quad, 16GB RAM running VE Pro, various libraries in Kontakt, G-Player, UVI.
Steve Steele
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Steve Steele »

comp15 wrote:I'm new to DP. If someone makes a tutorial in the very near future regarding how to connect DP to VEPro 5 with MAS support, please let us know on this forum. I'm sure you'll get a high count of viewings in a brief amount of time.

thanks
I'm making one right now. We'll post when uploaded.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
buhardilla

Post by buhardilla »

Chris T wrote:Hey Tripi:

Re. your issue of audio glitch during tempo changes, I'm getting that too. See my post from yesterday. It's definitely VEP with DP, and an issue that needs to be resolved...

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=59360
Interesting. Did you try to set Plug-in real time preferences in "Pre-Gen Mode"?? I'm actually changed from "all plug-ins in real time" to "Pre-Gen" mode and I haven't yet seen tempo issues
DP 10.11 || iMac 2019 5K ||i9 8core 3.6GHz|| 64 GB RAM|| macOS 11.5.1
RME AiOPro || Softube Console 1 ||
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

nightwatch wrote:
comp15 wrote:I'm new to DP. If someone makes a tutorial in the very near future regarding how to connect DP to VEPro 5 with MAS support, please let us know on this forum. I'm sure you'll get a high count of viewings in a brief amount of time.

thanks
if Nightwatch doesn't get time to do a video, I'll do a text step-by-step?
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

frankf wrote:I understand that what you call MIDI Bounce can save time, especially with stem creation. I have the same problem that you point out and this applies to Freeze and real time recording also: that, if you do not listen back to what you've bounced or otherwise digitally recorded to disk, you are taking it on faith (is 99.5% good enough?) there are no problems with the ones and zeros. I always listen back to check. Also if you are shipping tracks to another DAW to mix, Freeze may be the better option, as you can freeze each MIDI part to its own audio track in one pass, in your example 3m30s.
Frank, thanks very much for your comment(s). You know, I've never really looked in to "Freeze" - - perhaps I should. Thing is, I am *always* changing MIDI data right up to the last moment, so I never thought that "Freeze" could benefit me. But I will take another look at it.
frankf wrote:In the old days (20 years ago :), when we mixed stereo cues to 2track tape, we would listen off tape via the third tape head while mixing to make sure the mix went down without a glitch and save time getting the mix out the door.
Yes, I remember those days *well*! In fact, we would not only listen off the playback head of the 2-track, but listen thru the 3"(?) editing speaker on the Studer's meter bridge, to make sure that the mix would sound great on a home viewer's crappy 9" TV set! Ahhh - - those were the day! (may they not come again!)
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

williemyers wrote:
frankf wrote:Yes, I remember those days *well*! In fact, we would not only listen off the playback head of the 2-track, but listen thru the 3"(?) editing speaker on the Studer's meter bridge, to make sure that the mix would sound great on a home viewer's crappy 9" TV set! Ahhh - - those were the day! (may they not come again!)
They are here... the 3" speakers have just been replaced by even smaller cellphone and laptop computer speakers that have high end, but no low end or lower mids.
comp15

Post by comp15 »

nightwatch wrote:

thanks

Thanks!
HARDWARE:
MAC HOST: 2.8 GHz 2010 Quad-Core Intel Xeon; Memory 32 GB OSX Ver 10.7.5
PC SLAVE: ASUS Sabertooth X79 ATX Intel Motherboard; Intel Core i7-4730K 3.2GHz Six-Core Desktop Processor; CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB Ram (8 x 8GB); Corsair Obsidian Series 900D CC-9011022--WW Black Computer Case; Steinberg UR22; Win 8.1

SAMPLE LIBRARIES (only on PC Slave): East West Hollywood Diamond libraries of Strings, Brass, Woodwinds and Percussion, Symphonic Orchestra, Pianos Platinum, Symphonic Choirs, RA
comp15

Post by comp15 »

williemyers wrote:
nightwatch wrote:

thanks
if Nightwatch doesn't get time to do a video, I'll do a text step-by-step?

Thank to you, as well. A video is highly preferred but we'll see. Thanks, again.
HARDWARE:
MAC HOST: 2.8 GHz 2010 Quad-Core Intel Xeon; Memory 32 GB OSX Ver 10.7.5
PC SLAVE: ASUS Sabertooth X79 ATX Intel Motherboard; Intel Core i7-4730K 3.2GHz Six-Core Desktop Processor; CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB Ram (8 x 8GB); Corsair Obsidian Series 900D CC-9011022--WW Black Computer Case; Steinberg UR22; Win 8.1

SAMPLE LIBRARIES (only on PC Slave): East West Hollywood Diamond libraries of Strings, Brass, Woodwinds and Percussion, Symphonic Orchestra, Pianos Platinum, Symphonic Choirs, RA
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

I just tried to turn on pre-gen mode for VEP, and it's caused DP to hang every time I hit play. My audio tracks play back, but the counter doesn't move, no MIDI plays back, and the beach ball does it's thing until I force quit. Are we sure this is the right setting for VEP? I've always had mine set to real time playback.

On another note.... what are people using for the VEP preferences in "threads per instance"? Mine defaulted to 2 per instance, but since I only have one instance, it seems like a waste of processing power. I can choose up to 24, so I set it at 12. It made my VEP cpu meter go way down on playback. If I choose 24, do we think it would steal processing power from DP?
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

comp15 wrote:Thank to you, as well. A video is highly preferred but we'll see. Thanks, again.
I made a nice video last night that covered a couple of topics but Soundflower was having buffer problems and the audio was cutting out. But if it's good enough that I can edit it today to cut out the bad audio parts, I'll probably post it tonight. If not I'll redo a "lite" version that just gets to the point.

Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

Tripi wrote:On another note.... what are people using for the VEP preferences in "threads per instance"? Mine defaulted to 2 per instance, but since I only have one instance, it seems like a waste of processing power. I can choose up to 24, so I set it at 12. It made my VEP cpu meter go way down on playback. If I choose 24, do we think it would steal processing power from DP?
The idea is to spread the workload around evenly. It would probably be better to run four instances with a setting of 6 threads, than one instance at 24. DP can multithreaded too so I wouldnt worry too much about VEP taking CPU time away from the OS or DP. The OS and DP will manage the situation well enough.

I'm not as sure about hyper-threading CPUs as I'm still on a 2008 3,1 8-core. But with one instance I would set it near 24 (I would probably still be tempted to break it up into four instances, but I don't know your template). If you want to reserve a core for the OS and DP, then set it a bit lower. Watch the Activity Monitor too. That will help you see how efficient each setting is.

Man, if you have a 12 core and have been running one instance on 2 cores, then yeah!! Big difference!! :D

frankf

Post by frankf »

MOTU lauds Freeze (and Un Freeze) as a feature that helps if you have to go back and change the MIDI data. Un freeze the audio, edit the MIDI and re Freeze. You should give Freeze a try and compare to Bounce to see if it's for you. I use both. Personally I stay in the MIDI realm as long as possible.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

frankf wrote:Personally I stay in the MIDI realm as long as possible.
Absolutely! And if you unfreeze, does it delete the frozen soundbite? I doubt it. Could create confusion.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

Yep. Till the last possible second. Sometimes to my own detriment as me and my old MacPro are running out of headroom and sanity.

frankf

Post by frankf »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
Absolutely! And if you unfreeze, does it delete the frozen soundbite? I doubt it. Could create confusion.
I thought it did. Will have to check.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB