VEPro MAS version is out

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

VEPro MAS version is out

Post by labman »

from vienna forum... :dance:

Dear Digital Performer 8 and Vienna Ensemble PRO 5 users,

The long wait is over, and finally you can access up to 48 MIDI Ports (48*16=768 MIDI Channels) for each VE PRO instance.

No need to use VE PRO Event Input plug-ins anymore.
Offline bouncing with multiple ports now possible.
Works with Digital Performer 8 or higher
Hope you enjoy this new addition to the arsenal of Vienna Ensemble PRO 5!

Best,
Paul

Paul Steinbauer
Product Manager - Vienna Symphonic Library
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: VEPro MAS version is out

Post by Shooshie »

Wow. I think I'm going to cry.
:boohoo:
Oh wait... that was just a bowstring horsehair in my eye. But I'm sincerely moved by this. Really. This is some of the best news I've seen since the beginning of virtual instruments in DP, and I've been using them in some form or another since the early 90s. (remember Interapplication MIDI and Apple soft-synths?)

Thanks Paul and Herb!
and Labman!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

build history for those interested...

February 25, 2015
VE PRO 5.4.13670
Vienna Ensemble PRO 5 – Version History Windows 7 / 32-bit and 64-bit
Mac OS X 10.6.8 and newer
• Added: Instrument Profiles and MIRx-Mode Presets for Vienna Whistler and Vienna Solo Voices
• Added: MAS plug-in format, allowing multiple MIDI input Ports in Digital Performer 8 or higher
• Added: Option to install plug-in formats independently from installer
• Improved: Tooltip behavior for balance sliders
• Improved: Networking performance balance
• Improved: Massive speedups when loading and closing larger projects (when using multiple audio channels
and AUX channels)
• Improved: VE PRO Stand-alone MIDI timing
• Improved: MIDI Clock accuracy
• Improved OS X: Logic Pro X Multiport Template to allow for more MIDI messages. Check MyDownloads for the
new Logic Pro X Template.
• Updated: VST SDK version 3.6, adding poly pressure support for VST3
• Fixed: Regression causing hang when saving in Pro Tools
• Fixed: Crashes when resetting windows in some circumstances
• Fixed: AAX plug-in scan did not work properly
• Fixed: Inconsistent GUI behavior of clicking a channel strip versus navigating with (pg)up/(pg)down keys
• Fixed: Potential hangs when loading large projects
• Fixed OS X: Space bar not starting/stopping transport when connected to PreSonus Studio One
• Fixed OS X: Broken GUI behavior of Apple AUDelay plug-in
• Fixed OS X: GUI crashes when using AmpliTube 3 AU plug-in
• Fixed OS X: Blank GUI issue of Slate Digital AU effect plug-ins
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
dnegovan

Post by dnegovan »

For anyone making the switch who might not know about it: the Remap MIDI Devices function (Setup Menu) will be your friend. I have a pretty huge template with a bunch of Event Inputs and I was able to get it all switched over in about half an hour. Now that I've deleted and remapped all of the Event Inputs I'm noticing improved loading, performance, no note hangs or hiccups like I was getting before... switching buffers, deleting tracks, things like that are all moving faster, too. The Audio Performance meter definitely is hanging lower and spikes less often. So awesome!

-Dan
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Interesting. I have an old MacPro1,1 in my office. I probably don't need to set up a slave computer, but thinking of trying it just as a learning experience. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

dnegovan wrote:For anyone making the switch who might not know about it: the Remap MIDI Devices function (Setup Menu) will be your friend. I have a pretty huge template with a bunch of Event Inputs and I was able to get it all switched over in about half an hour. Now that I've deleted and remapped all of the Event Inputs I'm noticing improved loading, performance, no note hangs or hiccups like I was getting before... switching buffers, deleting tracks, things like that are all moving faster, too. The Audio Performance meter definitely is hanging lower and spikes less often. So awesome!

-Dan
Seems to be, yet again, time for me to change my template and incorporate this new feature.

I'm not sure why, as I've never had problems using Event Inputs and never noticed what you guys have been talking about (and I never bounce but print my VIs), but what the heck. I'll do it using your method. Thanks for the heads up, Dan.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

Works ok over here so far. I had a ton of event input plugins, and now don't need any. The only thing I'm trying to figure out is if there's a way to better name the VEP MIDI channels. Everything shows up as 01-01, 15-13, 12-03, etc.... I like to be able to give my MIDI ports names that correspond to my VEP template.
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

I shouldn't have spoken so quickly. I'm having really terrible crackles and breakups when my conductor track hits a ritard. I hope it's not a problem with tempo changes, or I need to revert. Anyone else with this problem?
12-Core Mac Pro, OS: Sierra w/ DP9 - always the latest version. Love of film music.
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

Tripi wrote:I shouldn't have spoken so quickly. I'm having really terrible crackles and breakups when my conductor track hits a ritard. I hope it's not a problem with tempo changes, or I need to revert. Anyone else with this problem?
Tripi, FWIW I just put together a simple 12 bar piano line with massive rit.s & acc.s, playing a Kontakt 5 instance hosted in the new VEPro5, and it's playing back just fine. YMMV...
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

and for those of us that have been looking/hoping for this for a couple of years, MIDI Bounce w/VEPro5 (w/o Event PlugIns) *WORKS*!
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs

~me
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

williemyers wrote:and for those of us that have been looking/hoping for this for a couple of years, MIDI Bounce w/VEPro5 (w/o Event PlugIns) *WORKS*!
How do you do it?
Do you just make a time range selection, play-enable the MIDI track and voilá?
Is it reliable?

What´s the benefit of this, that you don´t need to print the MIDI tracks for them to be included in the final bounce? I always need to print them anyway... What am I missing?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

FMiguelez wrote:What´s the benefit of this, that you don´t need to print the MIDI tracks for them to be included in the final bounce? I always need to print them anyway... What am I missing?
FM, it's really just a "time" thing! That is, how much time have you got? :)

Say you've finished a 3:30 cue with loads of MIDI tracks and now you want to pull about 6 stereo stems to send up the line. If you "real-time" it, it's going to take you a little over 20 minutes to pull those stems. But with DP's MIDI Bounce, you could pull those same stems in about 4-5 minutes....a 15 minute time saving. Now - instead of pulling 6 stereo pairs, imagine pulling 24-30 stereo pairs for re-mixing in another DAW? Now the time difference gets *really* significant!
The problem was that you could this (DP's MIDI Bounce) under VEPro4, but when VEPro5 came along, it broke DP MIDI Bouncing. And, at that time, VSL tech's were saying that it likely wouldn't come back again...(ever).
Some guys (like myself) that have come to rely heavily on DP MIDI Bounce, decided it was a deal-breaker and dropped VEPro5.
So that's why it so exciting to get it back again.
FMiguelez wrote:Is it reliable?
Well, that's the rub, isn't it!? Obviously with DP's MIDI Bounce, you're not getting to actually hear the audio target's Input side for each bounce. So if anything glitches on the MIDI side, you're screwed!But I can tell you that I've done 1000's upon 1000's of DP MIDI Bounces and I'd call it about 99.5% accurate... YMMV
FMiguelez wrote: How do you do it?
Do you just make a time range selection, play-enable the MIDI track and voilá?
That's pretty much all there is to it....select the time range, make sure the desired MIDI tracks are on Play, make sure the VI's Audio Outs are set, turn on Automation (if applicable) and let 'r rip! (That is, Bounce). If it all works, in a few seconds you'll have you audio bounce and can move on to your next task

Like I said, it's all about saving time. I think, if you have time to "real-time" everything, that's probably better. But if you don't, DP's MIDI Bounce (now available with VEPro5) is a great way to fly!

~me
frankf

Post by frankf »

I understand that what you call MIDI Bounce can save time, especially with stem creation. I have the same problem that you point out and this applies to Freeze and real time recording also: that, if you do not listen back to what you've bounced or otherwise digitally recorded to disk, you are taking it on faith (is 99.5% good enough?) there are no problems with the ones and zeros. I always listen back to check. Also if you are shipping tracks to another DAW to mix, Freeze may be the better option, as you can freeze each MIDI part to its own audio track in one pass, in your example 3m30s. In the old days (20 years ago :), when we mixed stereo cues to 2track tape, we would listen off tape via the third tape head while mixing to make sure the mix went down without a glitch and save time getting the mix out the door.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
comp15

Post by comp15 »

I'm new to DP. If someone makes a tutorial in the very near future regarding how to connect DP to VEPro 5 with MAS support, please let us know on this forum. I'm sure you'll get a high count of viewings in a brief amount of time.

thanks
HARDWARE:
MAC HOST: 2.8 GHz 2010 Quad-Core Intel Xeon; Memory 32 GB OSX Ver 10.7.5
PC SLAVE: ASUS Sabertooth X79 ATX Intel Motherboard; Intel Core i7-4730K 3.2GHz Six-Core Desktop Processor; CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB Ram (8 x 8GB); Corsair Obsidian Series 900D CC-9011022--WW Black Computer Case; Steinberg UR22; Win 8.1

SAMPLE LIBRARIES (only on PC Slave): East West Hollywood Diamond libraries of Strings, Brass, Woodwinds and Percussion, Symphonic Orchestra, Pianos Platinum, Symphonic Choirs, RA
Tripi

Post by Tripi »

I used it all day yesterday, without a problem... except for one cue that has a big ritard at the end of it. I get massive crackling and clicks right at the mid point of the ritard. Other than that, it seems great.

Really could use a port naming feature, especially when you're dealing with 48 ports all called "Vienna Symphonic Pro 01-02 Channel 01". The MIDI re-map works well too when switching over from the old system, but I needed to re-do it about 3 times to get everything mapped correctly.