VEPro MAS version is out

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
comp15
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: VEPro MAS version is out

Post by comp15 »

In DP, I went to Preferences - Audio Plug-ins: in the long list of MAS, I see the second to last one listed as "Vienna Ensemble Pro". If I uncheck this a dialogue box pops up that asks, "Create a modifiable copy of this set?" I'm not sure what that means so I haven't preceded.

Further down within the Audio Plug-ins window, in the "Primary External Plug-in Format" drop-down box, VST is currently checked. The only other option in this box is AU. I'm not sure if that has something to do with it.

On the MAC, I went to Library - Audio - Plug-ins. However, within the Plug-ins there are four folders listed: Components, Digidesign, MAS and VST. And, they're all empty.

The version of VEPro that I have is: 5.4.13682
HARDWARE:
MAC HOST: 2.8 GHz 2010 Quad-Core Intel Xeon; Memory 32 GB OSX Ver 10.7.5
PC SLAVE: ASUS Sabertooth X79 ATX Intel Motherboard; Intel Core i7-4730K 3.2GHz Six-Core Desktop Processor; CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB Ram (8 x 8GB); Corsair Obsidian Series 900D CC-9011022--WW Black Computer Case; Steinberg UR22; Win 8.1

SAMPLE LIBRARIES (only on PC Slave): East West Hollywood Diamond libraries of Strings, Brass, Woodwinds and Percussion, Symphonic Orchestra, Pianos Platinum, Symphonic Choirs, RA
comp15

Post by comp15 »

Also to answer some of your other questions:

The PC slave has always worked, haven't had problems with it. The East West sample libraries are only installed on the PC.

The IP address currently on the PC is the same IP address as always. I haven't changed it.

Right now, I'm currently re-building permissions on the Mac. I've never done that before so it's taking some time.

Let me ask you this. On each machine, the Mac master and PC slave, there should be the same exact same setup of VEPro programs. For example on the Mac master in the Vienna Ensemble Pro folder there is:
"Uninstall Vienna Ensemble Pro
Vienna Ensemble Pro
Vienna Ensemble Pro (64-bit)
Vienna Ensemble Pro Server
Vienna Ensemble Pro Server (64-bit)

Yet, for some reason, on the PC Slave, all I have is:
Uninstall Vienna Ensemble Pro
Vienna Ensemble Pro
Vienna Ensemble Pro (64-bit)

In other words, on the PC I don't have the servers listed. Should i uninstall everything and then download and install everything again to the PC? Or, should I skip the uninstall and rather simply reinstall and it will know which parts are missing?
HARDWARE:
PC SLAVE: ASUS Sabertooth X79 ATX Intel Motherboard; Intel Core i7-4730K 3.2GHz Six-Core Desktop Processor; CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB Ram (8 x 8GB); Corsair Obsidian Series 900D CC-9011022--WW Black Computer Case; Steinberg UR22; Win 8.1

SAMPLE LIBRARIES (only on PC Slave): East West Hollywood Diamond libraries of Strings, Brass, Woodwinds and Percussion, Symphonic Orchestra, Pianos Platinum, Symphonic Choirs, RA
comp15

Post by comp15 »

I've uninstalled, re-downloaded and re-installed Vienna Ensemble Pro on the PC. Yet, still I have no server applications, 64-bit nor 32-bit. I purchased VEPro from Sweetwater. They're currently trying to get hold of people at Vienna. I wonder if it's a compatibility issue. Perhaps VEPro doesn't work correctly on Windows 8.1. Hopefully I'll find out soon.
HARDWARE:

Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

comp15 wrote:I've uninstalled, re-downloaded and re-installed Vienna Ensemble Pro on the PC. Yet, still I have no server applications, 64-bit nor 32-bit. I purchased VEPro from Sweetwater. They're currently trying to get hold of people at Vienna. I wonder if it's a compatibility issue. Perhaps VEPro doesn't work correctly on Windows 8.1. Hopefully I'll find out soon.
I've got some answers for you. I'll post when I get home.

When you install AU or VST instruments or plugins they are out in the root level Library into Audio/Plugins/Components for AU and Audio/Plugins/VST for VSTs. OSX being a multi-user OS puts them in the main Library so all users will have shared access to them. They shouldn't be in your User Library.

Name a few non MOTU, MAS or Waves plugins that you have. And do you usually install both VST and AU versions of a plugin, or just one of them. You said you use VST as your default. Any particular reason why?
Last edited by Steve Steele on Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
comp15

Post by comp15 »

Latest update: Sweetwater got back to me and informed me Vienna support would email me. They did. I do have the servers but they are listed in Windows version of the "All Programs" folder. It was a bit confusing to find but it's here.

I have manually assigned my IP address on the Slave PC. As I clicked out of that box I received an error that said "DNS Server Error". Although, I continued and double checked the IP address change using IPConfig and sure enough the IP address is now changed to the new IP Address.

I opened the servers on both machines. I added VEPro (Stereo) as an instrument, hit "Connect" on the Master, but still the only IP showing up is the "127.0.0.1 localhost". Hmmm... I also see no activity on the slave monitor within the VEPro server window. I've made sure they are both running the 64-bit version.

In addition, regarding the VSTs being recognized. On the slave (since the East West Samples are only loaded on the slave),
1) I click "Preferences" in the Server window
2) click plug-ins
3) click VST Settings...

and all the folders are listed there, for example the first two look like this:
A:\EWQL Hollywood Strings Diamond
B:\EWQL Hollywood Brass Diamond
etc.
etc.

Let me know if those look like the correct paths.

I'll keep trouble-shooting in the meantime.
HARDWARE:

comp15

Post by comp15 »

nightwatch wrote:
comp15 wrote:I've uninstalled, re-downloaded and re-installed Vienna Ensemble Pro on the PC. Yet, still I have no server applications, 64-bit nor 32-bit. I purchased VEPro from Sweetwater. They're currently trying to get hold of people at Vienna. I wonder if it's a compatibility issue. Perhaps VEPro doesn't work correctly on Windows 8.1. Hopefully I'll find out soon.
I've got some answers for you. I'll post when I get home.

When you install AU or VST instruments or plugins they are out in the root level Library into Audio/Plugins/Components for AU and Audio/Plugins/VST for VSTs. OSX being a multi-user OS puts them in the main Library so all users will have shared access to them. They shouldn't be in your User Library.

Name a few non MOTU, MAS or Waves plugins that you have. And do you usually install both VST and AU versions of a plugin, or just one of them. You said you use VST as your default. Any particular reason why?

The folders are not empty when I access them through the root menu. I don't think I have any other plug-ins that non MOTU, MAS or WAVES. The folders I have in the root menu are Componenets, HAL, MAS, MOTU Audio Export, MOTU Control Surface, VST and VST 3.

I chose VST as the default because I thought I had to given I'm trying to use East West Instruments, but I don't know that I really have to choose VST.
HARDWARE:

comp15

Post by comp15 »

I'm having trouble assigning a unique IP Address, but I'll see what I can do.

As far as VEPro not recognizing any plug-ins (particularly East West), other than the VST Settings in the preferences, should I also identify the paths within the Directory Manager, or is the DM for only Vienna Instruments?
HARDWARE:

ironchef_marc

Post by ironchef_marc »

Also might want to try to turn off your anti-virus program if you have one. I've had issue with that in the past.
New Rig |MAC Studio | OS12.6 | 64GB RAM | Storage | miniStack STX 18TB, (14TB HDD, 4TB SSD) | Crucial X8 4TB SSD |
Softwares | DP 11.22 | VEPRO7 | Audio Interface | M4 |
--
old rig | MAC Pro 2 X 2.26 GHz, 8-Core | 10.11.6 | 32 GB RAM | DP9.52 | 2408mk3 | MTP AV
ironchef_marc

Post by ironchef_marc »

Is it just me but the MAS version loads differently than before. I had V-RACKs of different sections and type of instruments that I would enable from my big template as needed.

Now after I've converted to the MAS version eventhough all my VE-PRO plug-ins (in V-RACKS) are disabled it will load everything when I open my project. Am I missing something?
New Rig |MAC Studio | OS12.6 | 64GB RAM | Storage | miniStack STX 18TB, (14TB HDD, 4TB SSD) | Crucial X8 4TB SSD |
--
old rig | MAC Pro 2 X 2.26 GHz, 8-Core | 10.11.6 | 32 GB RAM | DP9.52 | 2408mk3 | MTP AV
ironchef_marc

Post by ironchef_marc »

ironchef_marc wrote:Is it just me but the MAS version loads differently than before. I had V-RACKs of different sections and type of instruments that I would enable from my big template as needed.

Now after I've converted to the MAS version eventhough all my VE-PRO plug-ins (in V-RACKS) are disabled it will load everything when I open my project. Am I missing something?
Actually there is a new version as of today (5.4.1375) which fixed that very problem. Just tested and it is fixed indeed!
--
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

There's a new version released today, April 9th. Check the forum link. A user named Chuck is having a problem, although he's using a PC slave.

https://www.vsl.co.at/community/posts/t ... post236156
5.4.13715 is out!

Added: Transparent migration from VST/AU to MAS (see VE PRO 5 manual: Important Notes for Digital Performer Users).
Added: Default MAS plug-in to Realtime (instead of Pregen) mode.
Fixed: MAS plug-in not properly going offline when disabling a V-Rack Chunk in Digital Performer.
Fixed: Incorrect latency compensation and time info in MAS plug-in.
Fixed: Potential superfluous parameter change messages being sent to master host from plug-ins.
Fixed: 'AutoGroupSelectedChannels' option (changes in preferences were not considered in VE/MIR PRO since the parameter was overwritten from a hidden control in MIR PRO preferences).
Fixed: Instances not loading minimized (Preferences setting) if loading from master host.
Fixed OS X: Certain AU plug-ins (u-he and others) not able to automate properly over the full parameter range.
Fixed OS X: Space bar transport not working when connected to Digital Performer.
Fixed OS X: Shortened delay on space bar transport control (Start/Stop) when connected to Digital Performer, Pro Tools or Studio One.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
comp15

Post by comp15 »

williemyers wrote:
comp15 wrote:I'm new to DP. If someone makes a tutorial in the very near future regarding how to connect DP to VEPro 5 with MAS support, please let us know on this forum. I'm sure you'll get a high count of viewings in a brief amount of time.

thanks
Comp15 & others, I'm going to do a text step-by-step for how I setup my Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 (newest version) to work my Digital Performer 8 (.07). I have *NO* doubt that there are folks here who have much more experience and perhaps much better ways to accomplish this, and you would be well served to look for their generous knowledge-sharing.

In any event, if it helps, here are my steps:

1. I open VEPro5 Server/64-bit
a small "Vienna Ensemble Pro Server" window opens. I'll call this window "VEProWIN#1". I enter nothing and move it to the corner for the time being...

2. I open DP8 and create a "new" project (with the Chunk "dem1")

3. in the new empty DP project, I go to Project>Add Track> Instruments w/Options...

4. in the Add Instrument Track, I "add 1 instrument track(s), assigned to:"VSL>Vienna Ensemble Pro stereo", then I check "Add 16 MIDI tracks..." and "Add new track folder", then click OK

5. another small VEPro window opens, "Effects:dem1:Vienna Ensemble Pro-1". I'll call this window "VEProWIN#2". I enter nothing in it and move it to the corner for the time being...

6. in my DP Tracks Overview, a new folder (Vienna Ensemble Pro Folder) appears, containing 16 MIDI tracks, each assigned consecutive VEPro channels, and a VEPro VI instance named "Vienna Ensemble Pro-1". I change this name to "VEPro-1".

7. I go back to the "VEProWIN#2" and it says "Status: Not Connected" on orange letters. I click on Connect. It now shows under "Available Instances:..." and a localhost(64). I double-click this "localhost(64)" and 3 things happen;(a.) "VEProWIN#2" now says "Connected" in Green letters, (b.) "VEProWIN#1" now shows a valid VEPro5 Instance, and (c.) a large new VEPro5 Mixer window ("VEProWIN#3") has opened , containing only a Master Bus fader.

8. at this point, I go to VEPro windows #1 & #2 and "yellow-dot_ click them, as I won't need them any longer for this session...

9. the large "VEProWIN#3" is where I will add VI Instances, and then add Instruments to those instances. i.e., if I now want a Grand Piano playing in Kontakt 5, I do "Command V", select NativeInstruments>Kontakt5>Stereo and a Kontakt5 window opens inside of "VEProWIN#3". Now I change "MIDI In" from "Omni" to "1 VEPro Plugin MIDI In 1" (leaving "Channel" to Omni) and I am ready to load a Grand Piano in to Kontakt5 and start playing & recording in DP8!

So that's it! It may seem like a lot of steps, but it goes *very* quickly - - usually takes me < 2 min. to do all of the above. And, of course, once you have set up a DP project & saved it, when you wnat to re-open it, you only need do Step #1 above, before opening your DP project.

So good luck with it and let me know if you have questions?

I have one question about re-opening a DP project with a slave setup. I created a large template for practice, saved the DP file then closed it down. I reopened the DP project. The DP side loads with no problem. However, the VEPro 5 part does not open. I thought after you initiate the server and open DP, everything opens. I didn't save the save the VEPro metraframe, but from my understanding that should be done for backup purposes (which I plan to do on actual projects).

So after I open the master DP file, does it connect automatically to the server and open VEPro 5? What steps am I missing?

thanks
HARDWARE:

comp15

Post by comp15 »

It appears the issue is probably stemming from AT&T regarding assigning the slave a unique IP address. Just wanted to provide that update.

But please, let me know about re-opening DP projects and if VEPro 5 side of things should follow open automatically. Thanks.
HARDWARE:

comp15

Post by comp15 »

Update: I got some help from an IT person at my place. There were some drivers not installed on the machine. He also fixed issues with the communication between both machines. In other words, these issues had nothing to do with DP which, by the way, is coming along nicely.

thanks
HARDWARE:

williemyers

Post by williemyers »

hey all,

glad to see that VSL has dealt with some of the long-standing issues of VEPro5 & DP. I had initially purchased it a couple of years back to deal with the 64-bit situation, but when I found out that the Event Plugin killed MIDI bouncing, I shelved it in favor of VRacks.
But it seems that now that they've developed a MAS version, it deals with the MIDI bounce issue and a number of other things.
But here's my question...
I'm running DP on a single MacPro - - no slaves - - and when I was using VEPro5, I was only using it to host bunch of VI's - - no audio tracks or plugs, etc. So, given that setup, are there really any advangtages to me to use VEPro5 instead of DP's VRacks to host a bunch of (mostly Kontakt5) VI's?
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me