MIDI velocity related questions

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
pbaille
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI velocity related questions

Post by pbaille »

Hi,

I'm new to DP, just switch from Logic, it looks fantastic in regard of MIDI editing! but in logic I was used to assign a keyboard shortcut to "increase note velocity by x" and "decrease note velocity by x" . it was really handy, is there a way to do so in DP? or maybe something like the Logic's "velocity tool" that let you click on a note and drag up or down to change velocity.

the other related thing I would like to know is if it is possible to change the "note on velocity" and "note off velocity" icons in the continuous data window because it is really small and a pain to see and/or target with the mouse.

Thank you,
Pierre
frankf

Re: MIDI velocity related questions

Post by frankf »

I do the velocity change with a Macro program, Keyboard Maestro, but use the change velocity window to type in a value manually for selected notes.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

First, let me tell it like it is: DP and Logic are very different. Things you may be familiar with in Logic, and comfortable using them, may not appear in DP at all. We work differently. Rather than debate which way is best, let's just talk about the ways we do things in DP, and learn them.

We can discuss these things to any depth you wish to discuss it, but let's start with some basics that are simply best found...
In the DP8 Manual:
  • • MIDI Editor 363–387 (my preference for working in MIDI)
    • Sequence Editor 329–361 (for MIDI, it can be good for some things, bad for others, but it has its uses.)
    • Change Velocity Dialog 564–568 (read all the modes of use)
    • Drag Note Velocities (Just click on velocity tic and drag up or down)
    • Proportional Drag (same as above, but hold down Control Key for % drag crosshair, and Shift Key to constrain vertically)
    • Change Velocity MIDI Plugin (Add it in the Mixing Board channel strip, render to track with Region / Apply MIDI Plugin)
    • Reshape Tool ~ (Tool bar opens by tapping the ~ key, Reshape is the ~ looking thing in the toolbar)
    • Study all the modes for Reshape Tool, including the % mode.
There's more, but those are the main velocity editing processes. What's more interesting than velocities? Selections. Maybe next time we'll talk about selections. DP uses Selections much as Logic uses Regions, but it's a little more involved.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
pbaille

Post by pbaille »

Thank you a lot for this great answer!
I will study all that and come back if I need more precision.

Best,

Pierre