How reliable is syncing DP 7.24 via firewire ?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Klaus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

How reliable is syncing DP 7.24 via firewire ?

Post by Klaus »

Has anybody info on this ? Did recent driver updates correct some issues ?
I have an ext, SSD ( LMP FW/USB case ) to record on, and had spikes / maybe clock issues...
I'm on 10.6.8, and on the Behringer forum, the Behringer reps said that 10.6.8 wouldn't be able to record / play 32 x 32 reliably...
I'm feeding DP from an X32Core's FW card...

Trying to collect info...

Thanks and

best regards

Klaus
Shooshie

Re: How reliable is syncing DP 7.24 via firewire ?

Post by Shooshie »

Klaus wrote:Has anybody info on this ? Did recent driver updates correct some issues ?
I have an ext, SSD ( LMP FW/USB case ) to record on, and had spikes / maybe clock issues...
I'm on 10.6.8, and on the Behringer forum, the Behringer reps said that 10.6.8 wouldn't be able to record / play 32 x 32 reliably...

Thanks and

best regards

Klaus

What exactly do you mean by 32 x 32?
• 32 tracks in and 32 tracks out? (seriously? Behringer thinks DP can't do THAT?) Surely that's not what you mean, because everyone knows DP can do that without breaking a sweat. So...
• 32 tracks at 32 bits floating point? (yes, not a problem. DP has always processed internally at 32 bits FP, no matter your external audio settings. For some time now it's been able to record to 32 bit audio file format.)
• Or... 32 bits floating point and... what? Give us a clue. I'm having trouble imagining what Behringer thinks they could be feeding DP that it can't handle. Unless their drivers are just complete crap, and can't manage a consistent core audio feed.

And not to be completely ignorant, but I'm just not sure what LMP Firewire/USB is. Is that some kind of RAID array? An audio interface? Seriously, sometimes my ESP is on the blink.

I know DP doesn't have any problem playing back 32 tracks, or 100 tracks. Recording? I've never attempted to record 32 tracks simultaneously. I've done about 16 channels (8 stereo) without any trouble, and while I've personally never had the need to record 32 live microphones simultaneously, you may recall that MOTU's PCI and Firewire boxes have been handling that many tracks and more since about 1999, connected in series or (in the case of PCI-424) to a hub.

Is X32Core an audio interface? Let me put it this way: anything that can be pushed through Firewire or USB2 is no sweat for DP.

What do the guys at Behringer know about DP? If they really think DP can't handle 32 tracks, they don't know jack.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Shooshie wrote:
Klaus wrote:Has anybody info on this ? Did recent driver updates correct some issues ?

Thanks and

best regards

Klaus

What exactly do you mean by 32 x 32?
• 32 tracks in and 32 tracks out? (seriously? Behringer thinks DP can't do THAT?) Surely that's not what you mean, because everyone knows DP can do that without breaking a sweat. So...
• 32 tracks at 32 bits floating point? (yes, not a problem. DP has always processed internally at 32 bits FP, no matter your external audio settings. For some time now it's been able to record to 32 bit audio file format.)
• Or... 32 bits floating point and... what? Give us a clue. I'm having trouble imagining what Behringer thinks they could be feeding DP that it can't handle. Unless their drivers are just complete crap, and can't manage a consistent core audio feed.

And not to be completely ignorant, but I'm just not sure what LMP Firewire/USB is. Is that some kind of RAID array? An audio interface? Seriously, sometimes my ESP is on the blink.

I know DP doesn't have any problem playing back 32 tracks, or 100 tracks. Recording? I've never attempted to record 32 tracks simultaneously. I've done about 16 channels (8 stereo) without any trouble, and while I've personally never had the need to record 32 live microphones simultaneously, you may recall that MOTU's PCI and Firewire boxes have been handling that many tracks and more since about 1999, connected in series or (in the case of PCI-424) to a hub.

Is X32Core an audio interface? Let me put it this way: anything that can be pushed through Firewire or USB2 is no sweat for DP.

What do the guys at Behringer know about DP? If they really think DP can't handle 32 tracks, they don't know jack.

Shooshie
Easy, easy Shooshie :surrender:

I wrote

the Behringer reps said that 10.6.8 wouldn't be able to record / play 32 x 32 reliably...
( 32 in and 32 out )

so it's about the OS and not about DP...

I'm asking because Motu mentions better legacy OS support with the latest audio install
( 10.6.8 legacy ? )
anybody ?

Thanks

Klaus
:headbang:
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The report mentioned by Klaus says it's OS X 10.6.8 that can't handle 32 channels, not DP. The usual common answer is that USB can only handle 24 channels, although that would only take about 30% of USB 2.0's usable bandwidth at most. FW is supposed to be able to do more, but I don't think I've ever pushed it past 24 channels. MOTU would claim up to 32 on devices like the 828-3.

I doubt DP would ever be the limiting factor once you got sync'd audio into the computer. I was able to do 8 channels on my Atari Falcon with Cubase, so it's hard to believe any DAW on modern Mac would be incapable of 32, again, assuming the computer itself and coreaudio could get the data in and out and sync'd.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Well, then...
          • never mind.
    Shoosh
    |l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
    Klaus

Post by Klaus »

http://www.redmountain.ch/Screen%20shot ... 10.6.8.pdf

Here are the clicks...

Don't they look like a sync issue ?

Klaus
    mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

What is the hardware?

Neither the OS nor DP have a problem.
    DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
    2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
    IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
    Klaus

Post by Klaus »

An X32Core
    http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/X32-CORE.aspx
    Aten FW hub
    http://www.aten.com/Mobility-&-USB/USBF ... O3-Vt1c9e4
    Mac Mini 1.1, CPU upgraded to Intel core 2 duo 2.33GHz
    Klaus