Syncing DP with Logic 9

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Syncing DP with Logic 9

Post by bayswater »

bayswater wrote:
alex2035 wrote:I read your old post, the Garageband PDF and everything I could find about this, somehow I have a similar problem as you mention, Logic keeps playing the first instrument in the tracks sequence disregarding what MIDI channel/track I try to engage. If you could take the trouble to explain a bit further how did you managed to get this working I would be thankful. I tried without Soundflower as nightcrawler mentioned as well without even getting a sound even if I tried to use DP as "MIDI Only" to drive Logic..
I went and tried to find the templates I used to do this, and they appear to been obliterated with the installation of Logic X. I got further distracted because my Kirk Hunter EXS24 instruments also seem to have disappeared. I'll have to recreate and test it, and when I do, I'll post a sample DP and Logic project files that should work together.

Basically you go into the Clicks and Ports Environment layer and filter the MIDI input by channel and direct each channel to the strip that should be using it. More when I get it working again.
I have it working with Logic X. I don’t expect the Logic 9 setup would be any different. If you can get it working in Mainstage, there's probably no point in bothering with this, but I wasn't able to get MS to work. It's a PITA to set up, but once done, you can save it and there is very little effort involved in using it -- no more than a standalone VI.

I’ve tried to make sure this is complete, but no doubt I’ve missed something and troubleshooting will be required.

1. Install Soundflower. Restart may be necessary.

2. Open a (new) DP project.
a) configure the hardware driver so DP can see Soundflower.
b) turn on Interapplication MIDI (IM). You only need the Outputs. If you need more than 16 MIDI tracks going to Logic you can create more than one IM port.
c) create MIDI tracks and route them to the IM port on different MIDI channels. Put a few MIDI notes in one or more tracks for testing the timing later.
d) in Bundles, set up as many Soundflower pairs as you will need to return audio from Logic. I use the 64 channel version to get 32 pairs.
e) add an audio track to correspond with each MIDI track. Use the Soundflower pairs set up in Bundles as the input sources, and turn on audio monitoring. Use your usual output destination for these audio channels.
f) Save.

3. Leave DP running and open up a new Logic project.
a) set Soundflower as the audio device. You might want to use I/O labels to name the Soundflower pairs in Logic so you can keep track of them. The first pair will always be name Stereo Output, so I start with channels 3 and 4 and use the name in the DP Bundles.
b) create the Instrument tracks you want. Set their outputs to the Soundflower pairs
c) open the Environment page, go to the Click and Ports layer, and remove the cable that leads to the Sequencer Input.
d) go to the Mixer layer
e) add a Physical Input and a Channel Splitter (the Physical Input should disappear from the Click and Ports layer). You’ll need a channel splitter for each MIDI port (one for each 16 MIDI channels)
f) Get all the objects arranged so you will be able to draw cables between them. Note: Arranging objects in the Environment is fussy. Remember you have to hold down the Shift key to move a Channel object. Different actions appear to be required to select different object, so you have to get use to it to avoid constantly deleting objects and creating unwanted object.
g) the IM port you created in DP will appear in the Physical Input. Draw a cable from the Physical Input to the Channel Splitter
h) draw cables from the channel splitter to the mixer channels
i) Save.

Note : You might want to place Input View boxes between the channel splitter and the Mixer channels so you can see the MIDI activity and verify what is going to each instrument. I can’t find a way to add these from the Environment menus, but you can copy and paste them from the default Click and Ports layer.

4. Go back to DP
a) open the mixer and press play. You should see the meters in the MIDI channels move, and the meters in the Audio channels move at the same time, and hear the Logic instruments.
b) arm the audio tracks and record a pass.
c) zoom in to the recorded audio and note the offset in samples between the onset of the MIDI note and the onset of the recorded audio.
d) insert the Timeshift MIDI plugin and set it to play early by the number of samples in the offset.
e) Save

More notes:

a) make sure Soundflower, DP and Logic are using the same sample rate, etc.
b) you might need to find tune the timeshift settings — I only use EXS24 in Logic. Other instruments might give you different offsets
c) when you first press play in DP, there may be timing anomalies. This settles down after a few seconds. When you record a passage of the Logic instruments in DP, maybe put in a loop or long preroll to give everything time to “catch up”.
d) always load the DP project first, then Logic. Otherwise, Logic complains that the number of MIDI ports is changing when DP starts up.
e) this setup will only allow you to use Logic as a slave to DP. If you want to have Logic doing its own stuff at the same time, you’ll have to draw cables from other MIDI input devices to the Sequence Input object in the Environment, create an Aggregate Audio driver that includes your interface and Soundflower, link the transports in DP and Logic, and so on.
f) you should be able to manage the Logic project entirely from the Environment page. You can use the mixer channels there just as you would in the Mixer, open and edit the VIs, etc. That way, you can use Logic and all of it’s instruments as if it was one large complicated standalone VI.

The link below goes to a QT movie (no sound) that shows this working on my setup. The DP project has 6 MIDI tracks. The first two play within DP on Truepiano and M1. The next 4 go to Logic over Interapp MIDI to 4 EXS24 instruments. The Environment page shows the MIDI routing inside Logic as clearly as I can get it. The output of the EXS24 channels goes over Soundflower back to DP where it is recorded. Recording is not necessary — if you have monitoring on in the DP audio channels you will hear the EXS instruments from DP. Note that you can’t hear them in Logic. You can see the MIDI time shift setting and the Bundles too.

http://heavyethics.com/DPAV/DP&Logic-720P.mov
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Here are the project files from the above example.

http://heavyethics.com/DPAV/DP&Logic.zip
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

apanacci wrote:Hey guys, how do I sync up Logic 9 to DP to use the VI,s from Logic in DP.Read it in a post and Bayswater had mentioned it, thanks !
You can also get your transports to sync and listen by opening Transmit Sync and Receive Sync under Setup in DP. And I've got a better way than relying on Soundflower for real time audio tracking.

Transmit to the IAC bus you're sending out. Mess with the sync settings in Logic too under Project>Synchronization>MIDI (it's been a long time). Make sure to check the Sync button in the transport (right click if it's not in the transport).

I used to be real good at doing this but it's been a few years and I've forgotten how. If you do it this way, you won't need Soundflower because you'll hear Logic's playback in real time and the files will have time code on them. Once done, bounce any MIDI files in place, maybe audio too, and drag them over to into DP's Sequence Window. A new track will be created for each. Select all of the tracks and go to Audio>Timestamps>Move to original timestamp.

I might be missing a couple of small steps but that gets you in the ballpark.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
alex2035

Post by alex2035 »

Thanks for all the thorough explanations. Have to try these, I already messed up a Logic X proyect today trying to deal with Flex Pitch and Flex Time together on the same track, had to spend the best of 1 hour reading the manual, I am so used to DP, this is like relearning to walk.
I think Nightwatch method would need 2 sound sources, because both DAWs would not like to share a single soundcard, but I might be wrong.
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

alex2035 wrote:Thanks for all the thorough explanations. Have to try these, I already messed up a Logic X proyect today trying to deal with Flex Pitch and Flex Time together on the same track, had to spend the best of 1 hour reading the manual, I am so used to DP, this is like relearning to walk.
I think Nightwatch method would need 2 sound sources, because both DAWs would not like to share a single soundcard, but I might be wrong.
In OSX both DP and Logic will play back through CoreAudio at the same time. No need for two sound sources. It's the same how iTunes and YouTube can playback at the same time through whatever output you have chosen in the system sound prefs. So, no worries there. In fact if you use multirecord you can trigger an instrument in DP and an instrument in Logic at the same time.

I'm with you on Logic. Coming from DP it doesn't seem very logical. Some things are pretty cool though. Score editor for example.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

nightwatch wrote: In OSX both DP and Logic will play back through CoreAudio at the same time.
Yes, but at some point you want all the audio in one place for the mix. The way I set it up, all I have to do it do a single record pass, and it's all in DP.
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

bayswater wrote:
nightwatch wrote: In OSX both DP and Logic will play back through CoreAudio at the same time.
Yes, but at some point you want all the audio in one place for the mix. The way I set it up, all I have to do it do a single record pass, and it's all in DP.
True. Just an alternate suggestion. Peak was incompatable with the Soundflower kext. At the time I didn't want to deal with shuffling kext files so I just chose to sync the two DAWs and import the time coded audio.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Understood. There have been some issues with Soundflower in the past, but recently it has worked well for me, in this situation, but also in the recent past, using DSP-Quattro as a host for 32 bit VIs with audio sent back to DP.
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

bayswater wrote:Understood. There have been some issues with Soundflower in the past, but recently it has worked well for me, in this situation, but also in the recent past, using DSP-Quattro as a host for 32 bit VIs with audio sent back to DP.
What version of Soundflower are you using? I can't find ANY of them. I'm using Yosemite which doesn't work with Soundflower 10.6.6.

What's the latest Soundflower that works with the latest OS X? I found a suspicious 1.6.7.

With 10.6.6 I get a lot of crackles and clipping which I hear is what happens between these two. I heard Yosemite breaks Soundflower and cycling 74 no longer supports it. Although I've seen some (real or fake) updates. I was able to download 10.6.7 but now got to deal with Apple's software signing, which isn't heard really.

If not Soundflower. and other apps? I tried Audio Hijack but they dropped support for the version I had not long after I got it when OS X Lion came out, and they wanted me to pay more money for a different app.

I SO wish Apple would included this to CoreAudio!!

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I think it's 1.6.6b. I don't have access to my setup now. My laptop has 1.6.5 and it works fine, but only has 16 channels.

The current install file is at Rogue Amoeba now. https://rogueamoeba.com/freebies/soundflower/

Github has the open source project.
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

bayswater wrote:I think it's 1.6.6b. I don't have access to my setup now. My laptop has 1.6.5 and it works fine, but only has 16 channels.

The current install file is at Rogue Amoeba now. https://rogueamoeba.com/freebies/soundflower/

Github has the open source project.
I found a link for a v2.1b. It seemed like a legit giveaway and it works really well with Yosimite. Let me know if you have any interest. I could post a link when I'm in front of my MacPro.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

nightwatch wrote:I found a link for a v2.1b. It seemed like a legit giveaway and it works really well with Yosimite. Let me know if you have any interest. I could post a link when I'm in front of my MacPro.
Yes, please post a link. 1.6.x is the most recent I've ever seen. RA claims they host the most recent. Maybe there is a new version coming from the open source project.
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

its possible someone on github forked it in some way. RA seems to be the official supporter of the project now and I would trust their version first, v1.6.7 from 2013.

If you can't get Soundflower to work, try JackOSX. it works with everything I have ever tried, it doesn't used a hacked kext. But it does require a bit more admin to set it up, Soundflower is a little more dummy proof to setup and use, and according to some might use a bit less CPU, I've never tested I don't know.

I agree with Baywatch by the way, ultimately if you can route all the audio through DP, then you can start to setup your mix with FX plugins or whatever, as your sequencing. There are lots of advantages and its not that hard to setup soundflower or jackOSX. Once you do it a couple of times its no biggie.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

Edit: Yes, a forked version. I know that cycling left it in the hands of RA but I don't know exactly what the terms are. I suppose they are official guardians of Soundflower, but v2.0b1 is already "ahead" of what RA has on their site.

I was having issues with Yosemite and SoundFlower v1.6.6b, the version on RA's site. I saw reference to a v1.6.7 on GitHub but could not download it.

I decided to attempt to use the so-called v2.0b1 which was programed by Matt Ingalls (who used to work for Cycling 74), which was built for OS 10.10. It works fine for me.

https://github.com/mattingalls/Soundflo ... /tag/2.0b1

v2.0b2 is here..

https://github.com/mattingalls/Soundflower/releases

Hope that helps anyone..

----
old post

Trusting a kernel extension to an unknown thirdy party source on
GitHub is not the smartest idea by any means, especially if it needs to bypass Apple's signed extension feature in Yosemite. I knew that cycling left it in the hands of Amoeba (or whoever), but in passing I thought perhaps they left it open source. I need to check on it, especially for security reasons. So I'll check it out.

When Apple changed the way developers could use kexts in Mountain Lion (I believe) a couple of developers told me it would be a pain moving forward with these types of apps. I'll check out Jackosx. I just want a stable solution.