auto connecting network MIDI device(s)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
cleamon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

auto connecting network MIDI device(s)

Post by cleamon »

This may be off topic, or completely inappropriate for this forum. If so, I apologize - kindly delete it. This is not strictly a DP issue.

I'm using several apps on my iPad to connect to DP via the AudioMIDI setup in OS/X. It works like a champ. However, I have to open AudioMIDI Setup every time I start the iPad app(s) and/or every time I have wake the iPad from sleeping.
Is there a way to have this auto-connect? Is it scriptable?

Thanks in advance.
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
Shooshie

Re: auto connecting network MIDI device(s)

Post by Shooshie »

cleamon wrote:This may be off topic, or completely inappropriate for this forum. If so, I apologize - kindly delete it. This is not strictly a DP issue.

I'm using several apps on my iPad to connect to DP via the AudioMIDI setup in OS/X. It works like a champ. However, I have to open AudioMIDI Setup every time I start the iPad app(s) and/or every time I have wake the iPad from sleeping.

Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure about this, but you may need to upgrade OS X. There was a period, about 4 or 5 "cats" ago, in which Audio/MIDI Setup configurations were constantly getting lost. I'd save a configuration, but I'd have to go load it again quite often. That went away without fanfare, so I assume there was something that Apple did to fix it. I haven't had the problem in a long time.

When I've used devices that plug in through USB, they configure automatically, so I don't usually see the problem you're talking about, but it happened a lot during that one version of OS X. The only USB device I was using at that time was the MTP-AV MIDI Interface by MOTU, but it was precisely the device that was always getting disconnected. I'm guessing that you are experiencing the same issue, and that USB and OS X 10.6 is the real culprit. It happened quite some time ago, so I can't be sure that was the version of OS X during which it happened, but that sounds about right. It was more than a couple years ago. Maybe someone else will remember the problem more specifically, and in greater detail.

All I can suggest is upgrading OS X and see if the problem goes away. Take all the normal precautions you'd take if you do that.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

Shooshie wrote:
cleamon wrote:This may be off topic, or completely inappropriate for this forum. If so, I apologize - kindly delete it. This is not strictly a DP issue.

Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure about this, but you may need to upgrade OS X. There was a period, about 4 or 5 "cats" ago, in which Audio/MIDI Setup configurations were constantly getting lost. I'd save a configuration, but I'd have to go load it again quite often. That went away without fanfare, so I assume there was something that Apple did to fix it. I haven't had the problem in a long time.

When I've used devices that plug in through USB, they configure automatically, so I don't usually see the problem you're talking about, but it happened a lot during that one version of OS X. The only USB device I was using at that time was the MTP-AV MIDI Interface by MOTU, but it was precisely the device that was always getting disconnected. I'm guessing that you are experiencing the same issue, and that USB and OS X 10.6 is the real culprit. It happened quite some time ago, so I can't be sure that was the version of OS X during which it happened, but that sounds about right. It was more than a couple years ago. Maybe someone else will remember the problem more specifically, and in greater detail.

All I can suggest is upgrading OS X and see if the problem goes away. Take all the normal precautions you'd take if you do that.

Shooshie
This is ONLY with Network connections. The configuration is still there, the remote's name is in the list, it's just that I have to click "connect". It's not a big issue, but I was hoping to automate it somehow.
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I hope someone else can help you. I just haven't seen the problem. The apps I've used with the iPad and iPhone in conjunction with DP have all connected flawlessly, without my intervention except the first time I turned on "accept network connections."

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

Shooshie wrote:I hope someone else can help you. I just haven't seen the problem. The apps I've used with the iPad and iPhone in conjunction with DP have all connected flawlessly, without my intervention except the first time I turned on "accept network connections."

Shooshie
Thanks for your input Shooshie. I've set this up on an OSX 10.8 system and it behaves the same, so I think it's working as designed.
To clarify, this is what I see before I run the app(s) on the iPad:

Then when I launch the iPad app, I'll see this:

I click the device name in the directory box, then click [connect] and get this:

Everything is ok at this point. However, if I stop the app and restart it (or if the ipad goes to sleep for an extended amount of time), I have to select the device name in the directory box and click connect again.

What I'm hoping to accomplish, is the ability to start the app and not have to open AudioMIDI setup every time.
Chuck
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

OSX MIDI networking w/the ipad is clunky
This (MIDI LE) just came out, I heard its great:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/MIDI-le/id ... &at=10lPzZ

Best

B
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Thanks for the screenshots. That's very helpful. Looks like Pencilina may have the most likely solution for the time being. I take it there's no "set default" button or menu anywhere in the MIDI Network Setup app, is there? Nah, you'd have found that. Well, keep us posted as you learn more!

Shooshie