how to switch to VST plugins

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dewdman42
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

how to switch to VST plugins

Post by dewdman42 »

I have a lot of plugins. In the past I was using the AU version for everything except for plugins which are only available VST or plugins with MIDI out that do better in VST. Recently I read some things here on this forum about VST perhaps being the better way to go in general, so I wanted to switch over all my plugins to the VST version, except for the ones which are only AU.

Is there a way to automatically make this switch? when I switched the preference to make VST the primary format, all the AU's get disabled. I don't actually want them all disabled, I only want the ones disabled that have a VST equivalent to use instead. The ones that are only AU I want to remain enabled. But I can't figure out how to make this change automatically and its extremely tedious to go through all of my plugins to figure out which ones are only AU.

Any suggestions?
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
mhschmieder

Re: how to switch to VST plugins

Post by mhschmieder »

I faced this same issue recently, but then went back to AU due to its superior preset scheme.

I think, but am not positive, that if you trash your AU cache, all your plugins will realphabetize vs. being listed by the time stamp of when they were last validated (which can be affected by software updates).

Then, you could do a few screen shots while scrolling through the lists in the preferences window, and compare them to see which ones are AU-only.

Of course, you could do this with the install director ties too, except for that VST's often have a different organizational scheme (by default, at least) in that they usually organize under vendor-specific sub-folders.

At any rate, this approach might reduce the tedium, even if it doesn't automate the switch the way that you are hoping. maybe someone else has a solution that is more complete.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
bayswater

Re: how to switch to VST plugins

Post by bayswater »

I got confused by the same issue. So I made up a spread sheet by cutting and pasting the Finder plugin folder directory listings in to plain text format files, then into the spreadsheets. With some sorting, merging, and sifting you can get a view of all your plugins and their formats. It's easy at that point to see what exists only in one format. I also found load of old stuff I never use, and a lot of stuff I bought at no brainer sales and forgot about, and was better able to work out how to set up more useful user categories in the plugin preferences.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8