Sampler for DP on a budget

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
burnley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Sampler for DP on a budget

Post by burnley »

Hey everyone.

I have a limited budget and would like to get a sampler to use with DP primarily to build my own library of samples. I am interested in sound design as well as musical applications. MachFive seems like it would be ideal, but the price is a bit out of my budget (I do have East-West Play, so I would be eligible for a $300 competitive upgrade). From what I've seen, Structure looks pretty good for my purposes, and at $150, it's quite affordable. Also curious about Alchemy, but for the money, I probably might as well save up for MachFive. I have considered, but am leaning away from Kontakt — I have the free player and it seems like that will be sufficient for now.

Any advice and opinions based on your experience would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Burnley
MacBook, 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
MOTU Ultralite
DP 7

Burnley Vest
http://www.papercrown.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Sampler for DP on a budget

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Have you tried the built in nanosampler VI?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

It sounds like you want something that has some synth functions as well as sample playback in one engine, so MachFive might be best for you. Otherwise the others you mention might do it. One consideration in choosing a sampler is how much you're paying for the sampler versus the sound libraries.

Since price is an issue, consider that Kontakt goes on sale sometimes. I got V5 for about $125. Also, have a look at SampleTank and see if does what you want. It also goes on sale quite often.

I also use EXS-24 with DP by slaving Logic to DP. For $199, you get it with Logic plus a lot of other synths you can run like VIs from DP.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

bayswater wrote:
I also use EXS-24 with DP by slaving Logic to DP. For $199, you get it with Logic plus a lot of other synths you can run like VIs from DP.
Or for $30 in Mainstage 3.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mainsta ... 9523?mt=12
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
dpg4macman

Post by dpg4macman »

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

cuttime wrote:
bayswater wrote:
You get the sounds, but do you get the same editor?
burnley

Post by burnley »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Have you tried the built in nanosampler VI?
Thanks for all the prompt replies everyone!

The above question gets pretty close to what I am primarily after, a tool that helps me easily sculpt and refine my own samples, as opposed to a library of virtual instruments.

The thing is, the onboard DP Nanosampler and Model 12 instruments are a bit TOO basic. I would love a tool that includes an onscreen keyboard and allows me to assign a bunch of different sounds to one sample set (or is patch the correct term? I am still pretty green with this sampling business and have yet to get the lingo down). The Nano only plays one sample at a time and the Model 12 plays "only" 12 and lacks the onscreen keyboard-based interface.

Don't get me wrong, I would love a big library of instruments along with the sampler, but that's not my primary motivation. On the other hand, a bunch of sound effects would be welcome, as I am interested in doing more sound design work.
MacBook, 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
MOTU Ultralite
DP 7

Burnley Vest
http://www.papercrown.com
billf

Post by billf »

. MachFive seems like it would be ideal, but the price is a bit out of my budget (I do have East-West Play, so I would be eligible for a $300 competitive upgrade). From what I've seen, Structure looks pretty good for my purposes, and at $150, it's quite affordable. Also curious about Alchemy, but for the money, I probably might as well save up for MachFive.
Alchemy is no longer sold, so that is not an option.

The competitive upgrade to MachFive is $259.00 at Sweetwater.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MachFive3cg
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

There is a bottom line to this discussion: you get what you pay for. If you want a robust, reasonably full featured piece of software (or anything else) the price is commensurate with the quality and features. If you are making a living or any income from the item, it's easy to justify the purchase. Otherwise, one can afford the "luxury" of the item - or not. Same goes for vehicles, shoes, food, and even custom kitchens from the UK (inside joke about a spammer who targeted this site a while back).

All that said, MachFive is well worth every penny. It will make your work fast, easy, and professional sounding. THAT is what you're paying for. Priceless!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

bayswater wrote:
cuttime wrote:
bayswater wrote:
You get the sounds, but do you get the same editor?
If by editor, you mean the VI interface Image

, yes. And don't forget the AutoSampler.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I can't tell from that image if the edit button is there. Is it? Can you get to a keymap or zone editor, and all that?

Do you get all the sounds and synths that are Logic? That would be a lot of stuff for $30. A bit of a reversal too, from the time we were asked to pay $1,000 for the high end version of Logic because it had all the synths and samplers.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

There's always UVI Worskation. It's free and is more advanced than NanoSampler. Still, if you're really into sound design, I think MLC nailed it.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Tritonemusic wrote:There's always UVI Worskation. It's free and is more advanced than NanoSampler. Still, if you're really into sound design, I think MLC nailed it.
The sound editing is pretty good, but can you load your own samples in the UVI player and create the keymaps and velocity maps? Or does it only play prebuilt patches?
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

bayswater wrote:I can't tell from that image if the edit button is there. Is it? Can you get to a keymap or zone editor, and all that?

Do you get all the sounds and synths that are Logic? That would be a lot of stuff for $30. A bit of a reversal too, from the time we were asked to pay $1,000 for the high end version of Logic because it had all the synths and samplers.
Yes to all the above. Many Logic users have expressed your same frustration about Apple dumping the instruments as a loss leader.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The effects too? Well there you go then. Mainstage is a good low cost place to get started. You can always load EXS-24 patches in to MachFive down the road when more sophisticated synthesis and DSP is required.

Now all they have to do it put a sequencer into Mainstage and there's no need for Logic at all. Now you're going to tell me V3 has a sequencer.