How do you handle articulations?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: How do you handle articulations?

Post by labman »

PMortise wrote: If you command+click on the articulation it'll give you the option to do that.

The Solo Horn Marcato articulation ships as UACC 49, when actually it's supposed to be 52 - so I changed it
Are you doing the change with the "By CC Range" tool? How does that work when the nki is already locked to UACC? I am working on fixing the 'and is a combination patch'. My elderly brain cells are showing. Arghhh.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Tonio
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Tonio »

Thanks for the link PMortise. I have a few Spitfire lib's , and been missing a lot of information if it wasn't for VI control.

I just don't understand why we have to go hunting for more information for VI that should be part of the product manual.

Actually found SA's supposed forum- which is more of a blog with links on operation generalities.
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
PMortise

Post by PMortise »

labman wrote: Are you doing the change with the "By CC Range" tool? How does that work when the nki is already locked to UACC? I am working on fixing the 'and is a combination patch'. My elderly brain cells are showing. Arghhh.
Yes, that's how I do it. So, in the example of correcting the Solo Horn's Marcato from "49" to "52":
• select "By CC Range"
• choose "Activate (not "Latch")
• then: "...this articulation when cc 32 is between 52 and 52.

Since I've never changed more than that I've never changed the "Group" at the bottom right.

If memory serves, this doesn't work for the articulations that have been shipped with their UACC mistakenly set to "0", but I'm a bit fuzzy on that.
DP 10.11 / 3.33GHz 12-Core, 10.15.7, 128GB / 3.33GHz 12-Core, 10.15.7, 128GB /
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination." ~ Einstein
labman

Post by labman »

Thank you for the help PM.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
PMortise

Post by PMortise »

My pleasure - this forum has been a bounty for me over the years. :headbang:
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

PMortise, thanks so much -- I posted a question about this in the miscellaneous forum last night and didn't realize it had been answered here as I thought this was more of a Best Practices topic within DP than a VI-specific topic, and as VI's are cross-platform in their detailed operation, I'm trying to post NEW topics there instead of here.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks Spitfire should provide user manuals, or at least useful tidbits like this in an easy to find place. Not in a million years would it have occurred to me to use the CMD key plus a mouse click over the individual articulations in that articulation row that is common to many of their libraries, and their on-line tutorials show them strictly using the mouse to do it in real-time while they're playing the keyboard! Insanity! Not musically useful!

Hopefully this is consistent across their range. Now I just have to decide how I want to trigger them. probably a low octave on the keyboard, as there are rarely more than nine available articulations. I could even be consistent with my Vienna Instruments Pro template. :-)
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Oops, you have to octave-down the Kontakt keyboard and eventually some key switches show up in the Spitfire stuff. Not intuitive, as there are other key switches mapped at the edge of the Kontakt keyboard which are for other stuff like round robin triggering.

This is a longstanding flaw in Kontakt, that their keyboard isn't labeled in a useful way. Maybe that changes in the September update, when they do away with key switch colour codes and map the software keyboard to their hardware controller style guidelines?
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
PMortise

Post by PMortise »

I'm glad to be of any help!

I've made iPad TouchOSC templates for articulation switching. Basically, on the iPad I have a layout for each library (Spitfire, CineSamples, and LASS) that look mostly identical to each other, but under the hood trigger what each library asks for. The legato button for Spitfire triggers cc32, 20, but for LASS it triggers C-1. The most common articulation buttons are always in the same place on the layout: Legato, Sustain, Marcato. There are different tabs for Bowed and Blown instruments. When I reach for "legato" on my iPad, whether it's for LASS Violas, CineBrass Trumpets or BML Oboe - that button will always be in the same place regardless of layout or tab. It's tedious to set up :boring:, but once you do... :dance:

I’m currently working on a EW Hollywood Orch template using TransMIDIfier (which I think is a great program BTW), but that means putting DP into MultiRecord mode and losing the iPad. TransMIDIfier + MultiRecord mode also means having to use separate MIDI tracks for each articulation (which I don't prefer). If I can find a way to get DP to receive from TouchOSC and my MIDI controller at the same time then :woohoo: But until then, I suppose that's just another one of the costs for the EW sound.

There are other goodies on separate pages of the TouchOSC layout that do things such as switching view filters and sequencer lane sizes - and those are dependent on windows sets so I’ve set up buttons for those too. Those macros are handled by a program called ControllerMate. I’m by no means an expert at ANY of this stuff and I wouldn’t call it “ready for prime time” either, but it works for me because I know it’s quirks. I’m sure if I spent more time on it, it’d be more elegant, but I prefer to not spend any more time on this than I have to.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

PMortise wrote:I'm glad to be of any help!

I've made iPad TouchOSC templates for articulation switching. Basically, on the iPad I have a layout for each library (Spitfire, CineSamples, and LASS) that look mostly identical to each other, but under the hood trigger what each library asks for. The legato button for Spitfire triggers cc32, 20, but for LASS it triggers C-1. The most common articulation buttons are always in the same place on the layout: Legato, Sustain, Marcato. There are different tabs for Bowed and Blown instruments. When I reach for "legato" on my iPad, whether it's for LASS Violas, CineBrass Trumpets or BML Oboe - that button will always be in the same place regardless of layout or tab. It's tedious to set up :boring:, but once you do... :dance:

I’m currently working on a EW Hollywood Orch template using TransMIDIfier (which I think is a great program BTW), but that means putting DP into MultiRecord mode and losing the iPad. TransMIDIfier + MultiRecord mode also means having to use separate MIDI tracks for each articulation (which I don't prefer). If I can find a way to get DP to receive from TouchOSC and my MIDI controller at the same time then :woohoo: But until then, I suppose that's just another one of the costs for the EW sound.

There are other goodies on separate pages of the TouchOSC layout that do things such as switching view filters and sequencer lane sizes - and those are dependent on windows sets so I’ve set up buttons for those too. Those macros are handled by a program called ControllerMate. I’m by no means an expert at ANY of this stuff and I wouldn’t call it “ready for prime time” either, but it works for me because I know it’s quirks. I’m sure if I spent more time on it, it’d be more elegant, but I prefer to not spend any more time on this than I have to.
Now THAT is the post I was waiting for :D. Would you be willing to part with your presets for touch os? I'm more than happy to donate money towards the effort ;)
Last edited by supersonic on Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
PMortise

Post by PMortise »

supersonic wrote:No THAT is the post I was waiting for :D. Would you be willing to part with your presets for touch os? I'm more than happy to donate money towards the effort ;)
Sorry, I'm just now seeing this. I drifted away from using the EW and CineSamples stuff in favor of Spitfire so that's what my iPad is focused on these days - but I'd be happy to share what I use (no charge) and help you to get it closer to what works for you. Feel free to PM me. :)