Slate VCC 2.0 out

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
apanacci
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Slate VCC 2.0 out

Post by apanacci »

Ge it in your account !
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
mhschmieder

Re: Slate VCC 2.0 out

Post by mhschmieder »

I am at my wits end trying to figure this stuff out. Between last weekend and tonight, I must have lost up to five hours so far. It is a sea of madness, with version numbers that don't match up with the announcements, user guides that seem old, a gazillion iLok license keys that seem redundant and/or superseded, full licenses for the requirements needed for the VCC stuff to show up in VMR appearing to be only available in soon-to-expire demo mode, and an installer for so-called v2 that doesn't show itself as v2 even by filename.

I can't afford unnecessary, outdated, demo, or outmoded/superseded licenses as my iLok gen2 is at this point already up to 165 out of 200 license slots.

Also, I can't figure out if we have to re-purchase either VCC or VMR to keep using them, and if that's why out activation code appears to link to a demo license vs. a permanent license.

The problem is that each Slate product has so many alternate license keys, that it's hard to figure out what's what. So I deactivated all my demo licenses (not sure why they're there) and dragged what seemed to be unneeded versions to my older iLok (when supported by iLo v1 format). Then I opened VMR in a project and the two VCC modules were seen as unlicensed. So I went back to their website and reused my activation code on my iLok v2, which appeared (hard to tell) to deposit yet another soon-to-expire demo bundle license (yet in none of these cases is VCC part of the VMR suite).

I am totally lost. Like I said, I spent hours on this, reading every page and document (and email) I could find, only to get further confused as they don't date ANYTHING at their site (or in the documents) and the version numbers are quite inconsistent.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
apanacci

Post by apanacci »

Sorry to hear, worked like a charm here. They are open to suggestions by the look of it.
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

Ditto, no problems here at all. By the time I updated there were simple instructions on the download page itself. Check again? There shouldn't be any involvement of any "demo" licenses whatsoever.

Executive summary: No new iLok license is needed for VCC2 itself if you already own VCC. A free, full activation code for the VMR shell that VCC2 runs in (to be entered in your iLok Manager app) is provided on the download page.

I don't own VMR suite (the fully loaded VMR with their new EQ and compressors), so I downloaded the installer that says: Only download this if you don't own VMR. That installer includes the VMR shell with only VCC2 and the free Revival installed.

Downloaded it, pasted the VMR activation code into my iLok app to authorize my iLok2, ran the installer, done.
Last edited by jloeb on Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mhschmieder wrote:I am at my wits end trying to figure this stuff out.
Not just me then. I click on an email ad for VCC 2 a few days ago and went to loads of pages on VMR. They looked like sort of what I expected but after a while I realized they weren't. Looked for manual so I could read about it, but only found old versions. It's not apparent what the changes in V2 are. Found what I assumed was a new version of the free Revival packaged with VCC 2, and DL'd that and got an iLok code, only to find it was exactly the same version I DL'd a long time ago, and there were a load of Slate demo licences on my iLok. Today I got an email offering VCC and VMR (confirming that they are actually two different things) and now can't find the original VCC 2 offer.

I feel like the Cat in Red Dwarf when he keep saying "What is it?"
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Yeah, what jloeb says is what I suspected to be the case; that we have to load and authorize the new SHELL, which probably comes pre-loaded with a VCC2 demo and maybe other demos.

I shut down DP right before starting the browser, so can't check right now, but hopefully later. I was only logging in to see if I need to purchase a new license for VCC2 as a VCC1 owner and a VMR owner already, before some of Audio Deluxe's sales end at midnight.

My main concern is that I am using this stuff in a current album project and can't afford a "surprise" if VCC2 "goes away" mid-project during the next week.

Hopefully I can review this stuff in more detail in the next few days, and compare against some of what has been said by others here. It sounds likely though that I was simply premature and got the "bad end" of the upgrade as a result.

My day job took over big time for all of this week, and I have gigs all weekend, so I won't be getting back to lengthy production work until early next week. That's also when my VCC2 "demo" will expire, so it may be best to see what happens then (that is, whether my normal VCC license takes over at that point) and just reinstall with their latest updates if issues persist.

I also got an email late this week about the 64-bit FG-X port, which also was confusing as it isn't 2.0 but 2.0 is coming soon and apparently the 64-bit version is available in a 1.x update in the meantime. My head started spinning again; there was too much version-conflictive info in the email to try to parse during a hyper-intense battle week at work.

I love what these guys do, and as I have finally stepped up my game as a producer by quite a few magnitudes over the past few months, they have become my preferred plug-ins by far. I just wish they'd do a better job of date-linking important information about updates, change logs, manuals, installers, dependencies, etc. Given the volume of communication from these guys and how many versions they keep posted on the site, as well as how strange their version numbering schemes are (and how non-uniform across related products), it's quite a challenge!
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Write Slate Digital with your problem. They seem pretty responsive these days, or at least Steven Slate wants to be known as the CEO who cares. I haven't had any tech support issues, but I'm guessing that someone will get it figured out for you in a short time.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

What shoosh said. They'll help.

As far as I can tell, if you have a VCC1 license on your iLok, you're already done authorizing VCC. All that needs to happen is auth of the VMR shell in iLok manager. The appropriate VCC-only download on your account download page is the only one you need to install; it's self-contained and has the full version of VCC2 already in it.
mhschmieder wrote:I just wish they'd do a better job of date-linking important information about updates, change logs, manuals, installers, dependencies, etc. Given the volume of communication from these guys and how many versions they keep posted on the site, as well as how strange their version numbering schemes are (and how non-uniform across related products), it's quite a challenge!
Agree. Slate and a few other devs do this really lazy/crazy thing where the download page just has product names with no version numbers or update indicators. Just bad practice and a PITA when things don't go intuitively.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Well, I think today is the day the demo license expires, so sometime between now and 1am (or when the clocks jump forward for DST), I'll probably find out which licenses on my iLok are the ones actually in use and can delete the rest.

I did authorize the new shell, so all should be good. I think it just automatically came with demos. It'll probably be clearer what is needed on my iLok once the demo licenses expire.