MVintage Rotary 50% Off -- HOWEVER ...

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

MVintage Rotary 50% Off -- HOWEVER ...

Post by Babz »

Just noticed that they have MeldaProduction MVintageRotary on sale for $27 USD currently. Thinking about going for it...

http://www.meldaproduction.com/download ... tageRotary

This is supposed to be a really high quality Leslie speaker plugin. I believe David Polich has said this is one of his favorite Leslie plugins. I downloaded the demo and have been testing it in DP before purchase. But I have found a couple of problems so far.

1. Mod wheel and sustain pedal are supposed to be set up to control slow/fast speed by default, but it does not work. I cannot figure out how to get it to work. I tried tweaking everything I could in the MIDI setting of the plugin, including LEARN. Nothing. Anybody out there use this plugin? Is this a known issue? How do I get the mod wheel to control slow/fast?

2. When you adjust the Absorption setting, it causes a crackling noise. This is not a huge issue, since I won't be adjusting it when recording or anything, but bugs like this don't exactly instill confidence in the quality of the product.

Anybody have any experience or thoughts about this? Kinda need to make a decision soon, because I don't know how long the sale price will last.

Thanks for any comments.

Best,
Babz
Last edited by Babz on Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MVintage Rotary 50% Off -- HOWEVER ...

Post by James Steele »

Was Dave talking about that one or PSP's Lotary plug that was recently released?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

James Steele wrote:Was Dave talking about that one or PSP's Lotary plug that was recently released?

Agree,I think Dave mentioned PSP's plug which just got an update.,it's very nice IMO.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Babz

Post by Babz »

Well, I wrote to Melda about these issues. Hopefully, I will get a reply. Hopefully before the sale is over. It's a nice-sounding product and a great deal. I continue to test and so far haven't found any other issues.

Babz
Babz

Post by Babz »

FYI, here is what David said in the past about this product:

From this thread back in Dec. 2014:
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... da#p495964
David Polich wrote: FWIW, I have Amplitube 3's rotary cabinet and while it's good, it doesn't include the amp section of the Leslie, so you can't really overdrive it. I purchased the LX122 and for me that had MIDI implementation problems. I now use Melda Peroductions Vintage Rotary which to my ears is the best Leslie simulator plug-in out there.
From this more recent thread about the PSP L'otary: http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=59143

David Polich wrote: I have Amplitube 3's Leslie, Melda Production's Vintage Rotary, and the L 122 plugin. [...]I have to put Melda's Vintage Rotary and PSP's L'otary on equal footing…both are great, Melda's is cleaner and more "upfront" while PSP's effect always sounds like it's in a room no matter what I do. Which is ok.
Would love to hear from David (or anyone out there) to see if anyone was able to get MIDI mod wheel slow/fast working. Maybe there is some trick to it?

Babz

P.S. I am testing with DP 8.07 64-bit AU, OS 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion)
Babz

Post by Babz »

OK, I got a very fast and very helpful reply from Vojtech at Melda. I will paste it below.

Babz: <<1. Mod wheel and sustain pedal are supposed to be set up to control slow/fast speed by default, but it does not work! I tried the tweaking everything I could in MIDI settings, including LEARN. Nothing.>>

Vojtech: This is because you need to route MIDI to the plugin. I'm afraid I cannot help you with DP though, it's rather minor host and I'm not an expert here. But generally only instruments receive MIDI from the host. When you need an effect to receive MIDI as well, some hosts do that automatically, in others you need to route it manually - usually by creating a dedicated MIDI track and set the output to the plugin.

Babz: <<2. Adjusting the Absorption setting causes a nasty crackling noise. This is a less serious issue, but bugs like this don't exactly instill confidence in the quality of the product.>>

Vojtech: That's just how it is I'm afraid. There are certain parameters which just cannot be changed without these issues. Well, they could, but it would be extremely complicated and require LOTS of CPU power, which is just not worth it. Our plugins are extremely versatile and often provide things that others didn't even think was possible, but often these things are kind of "against the physics", so these troubles could occur."

I figured there was some trick to this. I will post the full instructions below.

Babz
Babz

Post by Babz »

OK, here is how to use MVintage Rotary in DP:

You have to put DP into Multi Record mode (Studio->Multi Record) in order to be able to send MIDI to two MIDI tracks at once.

Then you create a second MIDI track and assign its output to MVintageRotary, Insert-B (because Insert-A is being used by your virtual instrument).

Then you have to make sure you have both your VI track and the MIDI track going to the MVRotary plugin record enabled.

With this, it works! Both Mod wheel and Sustain Pedal will control slow/fast!

Regarding the second issue (crackling while adjusting a parameter), I found that it is much less of a problem as long as you don't adjust while you are holding a note.

Based on all this, I believe I can fully recommend this product!

I hope the sale continues for a while longer. It's a great deal at $27!

Babz
Babz

Post by Babz »

There is one minor linger issue with this method...

Because you are recording to two tracks at once, you end up recording your MIDI note data twice, on two tracks. But you really only want to record controller data on the MVRotary track. I tried using Input Filter and unchecking Notes, but that seems to be a global setting. Is there a way in DP to filter out note data on a single MIDI track?

For now, I am just deleting the note data after I record the track, but there must be a more elegant solution... Anyone?

Best,
Babz
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Oh... sorry about that... I couldn't remember which one. I know Lotary is supposed to be good also. Did you try their demo?

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Babz wrote:There is one minor linger issue with this method...

Because you are recording to two tracks at once, you end up recording your MIDI note data twice, on two tracks. But you really only want to record controller data on the MVRotary track. I tried using Input Filter and unchecking Notes, but that seems to be a global setting. Is there a way in DP to filter out note data on a single MIDI track?

For now, I am just deleting the note data after I record the track, but there must be a more elegant solution... Anyone?

Best,
Babz
You could mirror the controller data to another track using a Custom Console. Of course, that's a lot of fiddling, but you're the kind of person who likes a challenge! Once you get it fine-tuned, it'll always work.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Babz

Post by Babz »

James Steele wrote:Oh... sorry about that... I couldn't remember which one. I know Lotary is supposed to be good also. Did you try their demo?
L'otary is the new kid on the block, and David said it was about equal in quality, but I haven't tried it because it is $99.

This MVintage Rotary plugin is only $27-- HALF PRICE during the sale! I've been waiting for it to go on sale ever since I first heard about it back in December.

And I think I would have the same issue of needing to create two MIDI tracks with L'otary. Just need to figure out some way to filter note data out of one of the MIDI tracks. Maybe "Device Groups"? That's a feature I haven't looked at in about 15 years...

Somebody out there must be using these plugins and will hopefully chime in with a tip soon.

Babz
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Seriously, I think Custom Consoles will do it. I don't have the plugin, so I can't test it, but I've done similar things where I inserted mirrored MIDI into a track that way, and it played as if it were actually there. Maybe you need to edit the controllers uniquely for that track. Not sure, but it might record the mirrored data, in which case you'd have only the controllers in that track. I'd have to test that. I once used Custom Consoles a lot, as in daily, but it's been a long time since I've had that kind of need. My projects today are very straight ahead and simple.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Babz wrote:There is one minor linger issue with this method...

Best,
Babz
You don't need to delete the note data on the rotary effect MIDI track. The rotary effect does not recognize note data.

I've done many recordings using the setup of organ VI and separate rotary effect.

Mainly I use rotary effects for guitar tracks or special effects on a vocal bus or some other bus. The best solution for an organ VI that is self-contained is still GSI's VB3, which will work in DP 64-bit if you have SoundRadix's 32 Lives 64-bit wrapper app. In fact GSI may still be running promos where you can buy one of their instruments and get a discount on 32 Lives.
http://www.genuinesoundware.com.

I still have Native Instruments B4II, which is long discontinued, but works in DP via the afore-mentioned 32 Lives app. B4II is still what I mostly use for organ tracks.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Babz wrote:This MVintage Rotary plugin is only $27-- HALF PRICE during the sale! I've been waiting for it to go on sale ever since I first heard about it back in December.
Wow! Can't beat that! If it was something I'd use often I'd go for it myself. :)

Babz

Post by Babz »

James Steele wrote: Wow! Can't beat that! If it was something I'd use often I'd go for it myself. :)
Yeah, I went for it. Came to $28. The rotary deal is gone by now, but they have 5 different plugins on sale every week for 50% OFF. Currently, I'm tempted to go for this MMultiBandHarmonizer, now on sale for $28:

http://www.meldaproduction.com/plugins/ ... Harmonizer

I must say, the more I know, the more I'm liking this company. They make some unique and powerful plugins. Free trials, easy authorization, no dongles, free-for-life-updates, 50% OFF sales ... And super fast reply to my support emails! Thanks to David Polich for putting me onto Melda!

Best,
Babz