Deleting a sequence question

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
scooter
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Deleting a sequence question

Post by scooter »

When you delete a sequence from the sequence menu, do you delete the soundbites from that sequence also?
thanks,
scooter
Macbook Pro OS 10.12.6, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 gig memory, Apollo Twin audio interface.
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Deleting a sequence question

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Nope. You need to go into the soundbites window and SELECT UNUSED then DELETE from there (all from the dropdown menu).

Be careful you don't delete and frozen or bounced files you might have made which aren't in the sequences but might be otherwise important.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
scooter

Post by scooter »

Here's what I'm doing.

I've got about 3 sequences in the Sequence Menu window.

One of them is a Duplicate Track Layout. That's the one I want to use. I want to delete the other 2 Sequences but I don't want to delete their soundbites! So I go to the Soundbites window and select all and then remove from list. That gives me a clean start with a new sequence. BUt you're saying that I'll still have the soundbites from the other 2 sequences if I delete them from the Sequence menu? Which is what I was hoping for.

thanks,

guy
Macbook Pro OS 10.12.6, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 gig memory, Apollo Twin audio interface.
MIDI Life Crisis

Deleting a sequence (chunk) does not delete ANY soundbites from the soundbite list, just the sequence that points to the soundbite (which is still available for use elsewhere).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
scooter

Post by scooter »

Thanks. That's exactly what I was wondering. But I just wanted to be clear about it because I didn't want to inadvertently erase any soundbites.

:)
MIDI Life Crisis

You can always delete the sequence and check the SB window. If something goes missing (which it should not) you can always UNDO.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Be careful you don't delete and frozen or bounced files you might have made which aren't in the sequences but might be otherwise important.
Very thoughtful and relevant, Magilla. Great call.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
frankf

Post by frankf »

Do a Copy As, with audio, before you do something like deleting a chunk then using select unused sound bites then deleting. Doing so has saved my butt a few times. HDs are cheap these days.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
scooter

Post by scooter »

Yes. All good ideas.
Also "duplicate track layout" does just that minus the plug ins.
If you wanted a "duplicate track layout" with plug ins, is there a way to do that?
Or am I asking too much.

thanks,

s
frankf

Post by frankf »

scooter wrote:Yes. All good ideas.
If you wanted a "duplicate track layout" with plug ins, is there a way to do that?
Or am I asking too much.

thanks,

s
I Duplicate the sequence, select all tracks in the Tracks Overview window, and Cut. This takes about 10 seconds. Use the View Filter if you want to not Cut specific data types.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
MIDI Life Crisis

We all work in our own ways, but duplicating and entire project because you THINK deleting a sequence deletes the soundbites - which it does NOT, is waaaay overkill. It's like buying all new wall to wall carpeting for your home because your afraid when you vacuum, it will destroy the existing carpet. It just doesn't work that way.

Keep good backups and you'll be just fine. Not to say disasters don't happen, they do., but deleting a sequence is NOT going to delete soundbites. Period.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

scooter wrote:Yes. All good ideas.
Or am I asking too much.

thanks,

s

I do it all the time. It's just "Duplicate Sequence." Then you rename the copy, open it, and delete the data. You'll probably want to delete the markers, too. The plugins remain. Deletion of data is simple; just Select All (Command-A) and delete. It's not time consuming or difficult.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|