floating effects and removing items from vracks

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Steve Steele
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

floating effects and removing items from vracks

Post by Steve Steele »

1) Besides the Shift-F, using a plugin's insert selector, hitting the fn key, or using items in the Windows menu (which are only partial solutions), is there any way to keep all effects windows open when I double click an effect in a mixer insert? Drives me crazy when I'm trying to work on two or three effects and they continue to go behind the main project window. Pro Tools keeps effects floating. Logic has a key stroke for it.

2) If I accidentally put something in a vrack is there a way to move it back to a sequence?

Thanks!
bayswater

Re: floating effects and removing items from vracks

Post by bayswater »

There are no floating effects windows. This is a frequent wish list item.

To remove tracks from a V-rack, there may be other simpler ways, but you can drag the V-rack into the Tracks overview from the Chunks window to add its tracks there, and then open the V-Rack it in the mixer and use the mini menu at the bottom of the channel strip to delete the tracks from the V-rack.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

bayswater wrote:To remove tracks from a V-rack, there may be other simpler ways, but you can drag the V-rack into the Tracks overview from the Chunks window to add its tracks there, and then open the V-Rack it in the mixer and use the mini menu at the bottom of the channel strip to delete the tracks from the V-rack.
Huh. Kinda like dragging a soundbite into the Tracks overview to set up a new audio track. Ok. I'll try that. Thanks.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

nightwatch wrote:Huh. Kinda like dragging a soundbite into the Tracks overview to set up a new audio track. Ok. I'll try that. Thanks.
Not sure I'd describe it that way. More like copying tracks from one chunk to another, which is easily done in the TO window.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

nightwatch wrote:1) Besides the Shift-F, using a plugin's insert selector, hitting the fn key, or using items in the Windows menu (which are only partial solutions), is there any way to keep all effects windows open when I double click an effect in a mixer insert? Drives me crazy when I'm trying to work on two or three effects and they continue to go behind the main project window. Pro Tools keeps effects floating. Logic has a key stroke for it.
Plugins won't float. Maybe that's coming soon, but I'm not holding my breath.

However, I keep my plugin windows open all the time, and they stay in place, where I left them, because I use Spaces/Mission Control, Apple's virtual monitor system. I can put them anywhere I like — all in their own space, or some in their own space and some with the Mixing Board, or next to edit windows — and they stay put.

You've probably seen my posts on using Mission Control with DP, but if not, here's the info:

Tips Sheet Thread:
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 45#p199845
You Tube Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNSsG5gcKRw

Prior to this method, I used dozens of window sets, but they simply do not do the job that this does. It requires giving it a real try before one really sees its advantages. One major advantage of Spaces over window sets is that your workspace is always evolving, and it supports that. You open plugin windows and maybe you position them so that you can see them all in a row, and you want to leave that arrangement while you work. With Spaces, they can all be revisited exactly as you left them. There is no evolving window set for that.

Still, we need floating plugin windows, and we don't have them... yet. But Spaces gives you more room to have large edit windows while leaving enough room for plugins above, below, or beside the window. The edit window does not have to cover the plugins when its space is slid into view.

On the other hand, if you're working in one screen, you've got as many windows crammed in there as possible, and your plugins don't stand a chance. This is another reason Spaces is valuable. You can focus on just the edit window you're using, plus the plugins you want to see, and leave that setup where it is while you go to other windows in their own spaces.

I've been using it for over 7 years, and when I try working without it, I feel handicapped. To each his own. But until you've given this a try, you may not realize what it can do for you. Until someone designs a DAW just for me, this is the best method I've found for maximum accessibility and minimum frustration.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

Shooshie wrote:
nightwatch wrote:1) Besides the Shift-F, using a plugin's insert selector, hitting the fn key, or using items in the Windows menu (which are only partial solutions), is there any way to keep all effects windows open when I double click an effect in a mixer insert? Drives me crazy when I'm trying to work on two or three effects and they continue to go behind the main project window. Pro Tools keeps effects floating. Logic has a key stroke for it.
Plugins won't float. Maybe that's coming soon, but I'm not holding my breath.

However, I keep my plugin windows open all the time, and they stay in place, where I left them, because I use Spaces/Mission Control, Apple's virtual monitor system. I can put them anywhere I like — all in their own space, or some in their own space and some with the Mixing Board, or next to edit windows — and they stay put.

You've probably seen my posts on using Mission Control with DP, but if not, here's the info:

Tips Sheet Thread:
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 45#p199845
You Tube Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNSsG5gcKRw

Prior to this method, I used dozens of window sets, but they simply do not do the job that this does. It requires giving it a real try before one really sees its advantages. One major advantage of Spaces over window sets is that your workspace is always evolving, and it supports that. You open plugin windows and maybe you position them so that you can see them all in a row, and you want to leave that arrangement while you work. With Spaces, they can all be revisited exactly as you left them. There is no evolving window set for that.

Still, we need floating plugin windows, and we don't have them... yet. But Spaces gives you more room to have large edit windows while leaving enough room for plugins above, below, or beside the window. The edit window does not have to cover the plugins when its space is slid into view.

On the other hand, if you're working in one screen, you've got as many windows crammed in there as possible, and your plugins don't stand a chance. This is another reason Spaces is valuable. You can focus on just the edit window you're using, plus the plugins you want to see, and leave that setup where it is while you go to other windows in their own spaces.

I've been using it for over 7 years, and when I try working without it, I feel handicapped. To each his own. But until you've given this a try, you may not realize what it can do for you. Until someone designs a DAW just for me, this is the best method I've found for maximum accessibility and minimum frustration.

Shooshie
Hi Shoosie - I use spaces for VEPro instances. Having another space for effects windows is no problem but maybe it's more work than I wanted (reaching for the keyboard, reaching for the mouse, etc). I hope to have as smooth tactile workflow someday. The fn key is a good Mission Control way of "exposing" all effects at once.

So, are you placing your plugins in a different space as you open them, and therefore they're project specific? Or do you have a multiple spaces window setting?

I need to re-read your response. Thanks for your always welcome advice and tips!!

Thanks bud.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

nightwatch wrote:So, are you placing your plugins in a different space as you open them, and therefore they're project specific? Or do you have a multiple spaces window setting?
Window sets won't work over Spaces. They can set you up with starting conditions, but you still have to distribute the windows to their respective spaces. Apple didn't give us the APIs to save those so it will open that way.

As for 1st time positions: I place plugin windows where I want them. They always open next to the Mixing Board. It's easy to put them elsewhere, and there are several ways of doing it. If you have more than one to move, it's faster to use Mission Control.

I don't have an answer for anyone who wants hands-free operation. I keep one hand on the trackpad and one hand on the keyboard, pretty much all the time. If you figure out a better way, please do tell! Some people have told me that they didn't get why I find it easy until they watched the video and saw how I distribute 14 windows in about 14 seconds (faster when I'm not trying to make it clear). It's like dealing cards. All I can do is suggest the video, but the only way to tell if you like it is to actually try it for a day.

Sometimes I open a project and leave the windows in the same space, thinking, I'll just be here a little while; no need to distribute the windows. Pretty soon I've got them in their spaces. It's just too much trouble dealing with windows in one monitor. If Apple ever axed Mission Control I'd have to go back to window sets, but this is how I prefer to work.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|