Dither during export ?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Dither during export ?

Post by toodamnhip »

dpg4macman wrote:I record and mix everything 24 bit. I never add dither. When it has to be put onto a cd then and only then will I dither from 24 bit to 16 bit. Let the mastering house do it.

My thoughts,

mvh
My mastering guy (Lurssen), Masters to 24 bit anyway, so, no dither ever.
24 bit to analog, through his board, right to 16 bit, (2ndary 24 bit too if wanted).
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
daniel.sneed
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Dither during export ?

Post by daniel.sneed »

toodamnhip wrote:[...]My mastering guy (Lurssen), Masters to 24 bit anyway, so, no dither ever.
24 bit to analog, through his board, right to 16 bit, (2ndary 24 bit too if wanted).
Even in this case, DP will truncate from internal 32bit float to create your fixed 24 bit files. AFAICT, you may take advantage of dithering.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...