Ableton Drum Rack Equivalent in DP8

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
wesdrums
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Ableton Drum Rack Equivalent in DP8

Post by wesdrums »

Hi, I just purchased DP8. Coming from Ableton Live 9 I have a "drum rack" full of vocal cues for directing a band through an arrangement when using it with tracks and loops in a live performance with a band. (Loop Community's Vocal Cue Pack) if that makes a difference.

I'm trying to figure out what the best way to reconstruct this drum rack in Digital Performer. I have all the samples in a folder but I'm not sure how to map each sound to a note in the drum editor. I've been looking through the manual. And bought groove3's digital performer tutorial, but It's still not quite clicking for me. I'm sure it's simple and I'm an idiot, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Wes
DP10 | Mac OS 10.13.6
Mac Pro (Late 2013) | 2.7GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5 | 64 GB | AMD FirePro D700
Michael Canavan

Re: Ableton Drum Rack Equivalent in DP8

Post by Michael Canavan »

wesdrums wrote:Hi, I just purchased DP8. Coming from Ableton Live 9 I have a "drum rack" full of vocal cues for directing a band through an arrangement when using it with tracks and loops in a live performance with a band. (Loop Community's Vocal Cue Pack) if that makes a difference.

I'm trying to figure out what the best way to reconstruct this drum rack in Digital Performer. I have all the samples in a folder but I'm not sure how to map each sound to a note in the drum editor. I've been looking through the manual. And bought groove3's digital performer tutorial, but It's still not quite clicking for me. I'm sure it's simple and I'm an idiot, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Wes
I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to accomplish here? So the Drum Rack in Live you were using to trigger vocal samples the audience never hears that let the band know various things?

If that's the case then using any sampler with the Drum Editor will work. The difference here is that the Drum Rack in Live is set up to work with individual samples in a single track, although you can use instruments in place of samples, it costs serious CPU to do so. With the Drum Editor in DP you're visually accessing tracks in DP through a different interface. So to set up a bunch of cue type samples you can use DP's included drum machine or something like Battery 4. IMO anyway Battery 4 and the Drum Editor is a lot more of an integrated set up than Live.

Conversely if you're wanting to use Drum Racks in DP8, Live can reWire into DP and you can still use your cues.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
wesdrums

Post by wesdrums »

Michael Canavan wrote:
wesdrums wrote:Hi, I just purchased DP8. Coming from Ableton Live 9 I have a "drum rack" full of vocal cues for directing a band through an arrangement when using it with tracks and loops in a live performance with a band. (Loop Community's Vocal Cue Pack) if that makes a difference.

-Wes
I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to accomplish here? So the Drum Rack in Live you were using to trigger vocal samples the audience never hears that let the band know various things?

If that's the case then using any sampler with the Drum Editor will work. The difference here is that the Drum Rack in Live is set up to work with individual samples in a single track, although you can use instruments in place of samples, it costs serious CPU to do so. With the Drum Editor in DP you're visually accessing tracks in DP through a different interface. So to set up a bunch of cue type samples you can use DP's included drum machine or something like Battery 4. IMO anyway Battery 4 and the Drum Editor is a lot more of an integrated set up than Live.

Conversely if you're wanting to use Drum Racks in DP8, Live can reWire into DP and you can still use your cues.

Thanks for your help. Yes the samples are just for our in-ears. Talking us through a song arrangement, such as "Chorus 2 3 4" and so on. I ended up buying battery 4, and it seems like it'll do the job. Thanks again!
DP10 | Mac OS 10.13.6
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Since you already got Battery, this isn't really important, but if you hadn't, DP has it's own drum sampler VI: Model12. It's not really that great (though I do like some of their crazy drum samples), but it's sort of like a poor man's Battery, and it could be made to work. Though it only has slots for 12 samples, and it sounds like you might need more.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
wesdrums

Post by wesdrums »

Hi, Thanks. Yes, there are like 55 or so vocal cues in my cue pack. What i'm was running into after getting my battery kit setup is every time I would name the the samples in DP8's drum editor, it forgets them when I close and re-open the session. No matter how many times I save it. I read somewhere about adding a MIDI device group and that seem like it now is letting it remember the names. Is that the correct way to do it? It not that intuitive to me, but at least it's working for now.
DP10 | Mac OS 10.13.6