MOTU MIDI Installer: v1.6.64820, Feb. 10, 2015

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU MIDI Installer: v1.6.64820, Feb. 10, 2015

Post by Shooshie »

For your information, MOTU just posted an update to their MIDI installer, Mac only.

MOTU MIDI Installer: v1.6.64820 | Feb. 10, 2015

I know nothing about it, only that it's been posted with today's date. I downloaded it, but have not installed it yet.

There is also a Mac-only update for AVB audio drivers, Mac only, dated February 9, 2015.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Re: MOTU MIDI Installer: v1.6.64820, Feb. 10, 2015

Post by Shooshie »

What I was looking for when I happened upon the downloads was the list of all the enhancements to the various versions after DP 8.0 (currently DP 8.07, thus 7 revisions). If anyone is interested in that list, here it is:

http://cdn-data.motu.com/site/docs/dp/v ... readme.pdf
(you may have to be signed in to access this, but it's on the same downloads page as the previous link, but under Digital Performer.)

I had lost track of my copy, and I never fully assimilated all the things they did in 8.07, or really in any of the version 8 updates.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Geez! If you have not ogled that list of improvements in the updates PDF, I suggest taking a gander at it, peering surreptitiously, or at least checking it out. An eye-popping list, that.

On the one hand, it'll show you what's been fixed, but it told me about at least a few fixes of things I didn't even know were broken. Good stuff to know. DP gets better and better, or in some cases, more like it was before.

Shooshie
bolla

Post by bolla »

Shooshie wrote:What I was looking for when I happened upon the downloads was the list of all the enhancements to the various versions after DP 8.0 (currently DP 8.07, thus 7 revisions). If anyone is interested in that list, here it is:
http://cdn-data.motu.com/site/docs/dp/v ... readme.pdf
(you may have to be signed in to access this, but it's on the same downloads page as the previous link, but under Digital Performer.)
Shooshie
Option drag send settings. I never even knew.... :rtfm:
....and paste at wiper :dance:

Cheers, Bolla
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bolla wrote:Option drag send settings. I never even knew.... :rtfm:
I haven't tried it yet, but how many times have you wished for that? I know I have. I hope it works the way I... er.... well, the way I was hoping it works.

Shoosh
bolla

Post by bolla »

Here's another
Option click to close similar window types.
Cheers, Bolla
8 Core 2.8 10.11.1 DP 8.07 | Dual 2.5 G5 VEP Slave | PC i7 920 VEP Slave | UAD Sat Quad | MiniMoog
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

I would love to use the 8.07 features like copy sends etc, but 807 didn't fix the broken Magic Trackpad issues did it?
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

labman wrote:I would love to use the 8.07 features like copy sends etc, but 807 didn't fix the broken Magic Trackpad issues did it?
No, it did not. Specifically, for any who aren't aware, or who may have forgotten, the vertical scrolling with the Magic Trackpad is messed up in DP 8.07, as it has been since OS X Mavericks. The exact behavior is as follows:
  • 1) with two fingers touching the trackpad attempting to scroll UP over faders, the fader first moves hesitantly
    2) as you continue scrolling UP (without changing your movements) the fader may move DOWN
    3) it may then change direction more than once, hesitating as it does
    4) release the fader with speed, and the momentum carries it in the direction you originally wanted, without hesitation.
    5) Scrolling DOWN causes similar behavior, but in the opposite direction.
The hesitation and reverse direction are caused only when the fingers are touching the pad. When you release, it continues in the right direction, with momentum, without hesitation, as if it had been moving correctly all along.

To get anything done, you have to brush the trackpad briefly and repeatedly, letting only the momentum do the movements.

Though it's been fixed in most apps, I still see this behavior from time to time in other apps, especially in Java applets in Safari. It's apparently something that MOTU will have to address, although it was caused by a change in OS X.

In DP 8.07 MOTU claims to have made things work better for people with scrolling issues. I had hoped that meant they fixed the Magic Trackpad scrolling issues, but it was not to be.

By the way, this reverse movement is not because of scrolling preferences that changed in OS X, where you can now choose to scroll in a "natural" direction. That change may have broken something, but changing the setting does not change the behavior.

Shooshie
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:No, it did not. Specifically, for any who aren't aware, or who may have forgotten, the vertical scrolling with the Magic Trackpad is messed up in DP 8.07, as it has been since OS X Mavericks.
I haven't noticed any problems with any application other than DP. You think there is some link to Mavericks?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

I emailed MagicD. He said he would pass it on to the developers. I guess they are the ones who broke it.

Maybe if more of us wrote it would help. :woohoo:

Tech support says it is a known issue in DP 805, 8096, and 807.

I need that fixed big time, as I dont wanna stay on 8.04 I suggested/pleased that they dont release another update tip it is fixed. We shall see. lol
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
billf

Post by billf »

bayswater wrote:
Shooshie wrote:No, it did not. Specifically, for any who aren't aware, or who may have forgotten, the vertical scrolling with the Magic Trackpad is messed up in DP 8.07, as it has been since OS X Mavericks.
I haven't noticed any problems with any application other than DP. You think there is some link to Mavericks?
It sounds like it might be specific to the trackpad. I've never taken a liking to the trackpad, so I use the Magic Mouse. For me the faders work perfectly on DP 8.07 and Mavericks.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

billf wrote: It sounds like it might be specific to the trackpad. I've never taken a liking to the trackpad, so I use the Magic Mouse. For me the faders work perfectly on DP 8.07 and Mavericks.
My thoughts exactly. I have one sitting here that I try for a few minutes every so often but I so prefer my Revolution mouse. I can see how a wind or string player might prefer a trackpad. Being a keyboard player I tend to move my fingers greater distances somewhat easily. I actually like keeping the digits active over a little longer distance, especially the wrist motion when using a mouse.

Don't you use a 3rd party app to create gestures, Shooshie? Have you tried disabling that?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

billf wrote:
bayswater wrote:
It sounds like it might be specific to the trackpad. I've never taken a liking to the trackpad, so I use the Magic Mouse. For me the faders work perfectly on DP 8.07 and Mavericks.
I have never been able to duplicate the issue and I manipulate faders with my Magic Trackpad every time I use DP.

I do keep a Logitech trackball plugged into a usb port. There is the the occasional need for something more precise than my fingers on a trackpad. I wonder if my Trackpad would behave differently if that trackball was unplugged. Although there are Logitech drivers available to enable additional functionality, I have never downloaded nor installed them – I'm fine with Class Compliant.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

Shooshie wrote:
labman wrote:I would love to use the 8.07 features like copy sends etc, but 807 didn't fix the broken Magic Trackpad issues did it?
No, it did not. Specifically, for any who aren't aware, or who may have forgotten, the vertical scrolling with the Magic Trackpad is messed up in DP 8.07, as it has been since OS X Mavericks. The exact behavior is as follows:
  • 1) with two fingers touching the trackpad attempting to scroll UP over faders, the fader first moves hesitantly
    2) as you continue scrolling UP (without changing your movements) the fader may move DOWN
    3) it may then change direction more than once, hesitating as it does
    4) release the fader with speed, and the momentum carries it in the direction you originally wanted, without hesitation.
    5) Scrolling DOWN causes similar behavior, but in the opposite direction.
The hesitation and reverse direction are caused only when the fingers are touching the pad. When you release, it continues in the right direction, with momentum, without hesitation, as if it had been moving correctly all along.

To get anything done, you have to brush the trackpad briefly and repeatedly, letting only the momentum do the movements.

Though it's been fixed in most apps, I still see this behavior from time to time in other apps, especially in Java applets in Safari. It's apparently something that MOTU will have to address, although it was caused by a change in OS X.

In DP 8.07 MOTU claims to have made things work better for people with scrolling issues. I had hoped that meant they fixed the Magic Trackpad scrolling issues, but it was not to be.

By the way, this reverse movement is not because of scrolling preferences that changed in OS X, where you can now choose to scroll in a "natural" direction. That change may have broken something, but changing the setting does not change the behavior.

Shooshie
FYI and FWIW, DP8.06 (faders, et. al) works fine with both the "magic mouse" and a Wacom tablet (it's not "magic" :wink: but it works smoothly in all directions). I do have to change the setting for "natural" direction, but it works smoothly in any case. Note, that my signature says OS/X 10.6.8, but I've used this on later OS/X versions as well.
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Don't you use a 3rd party app to create gestures, Shooshie? Have you tried disabling that?
I spent literally months trying to fix that. I'd spend from one to three hours a day on it. If you can think of ANYTHING I haven't tried, I'd be very, very, very, very surprised. I became more familiar with the logs than I've ever dreamed of being. I've explored inside the packages of the system, and all through the library. I've discarded everything to reinstall one thing at a time, hoping to find a way to out the culprit, but the problem never went away, so my system didn't work.

I've done all this for one reason: Mike H. says his works. If his works, mine should too, providing I start fresh. The only thing I have NOT done is start with a blank disk and reinstall every last thing. While I almost did that, I have reasons for not doing it, so that's where I decided to cope with what I've got and quit worrying about it.

Yes, the Magic Mouse works perfectly. I have other mice I can use, also, that work perfectly. I have a whole variety of input devices, and I keep at last 4 or 5 on my desk at all times. I just have to reach out and pick them up. But in my experience, nothing compares, not even close, to the Magic Trackpad. If I'm working with faders in DP, I'll use one of the other devices for a while, but I get back to the Magic Trackpad as soon as I possibly can, because there simply is no other device so simple, so easy, and so powerful. I have over a hundred gestures across all my applications, and they are like sign language to me; I don't even have to think about it. It just happens.

So, I'll keep using the Magic Trackpad in spite of the problems in DP, and one day it will all work again. Until then, I'll keep track of what's going on, but I'm not going to search for the problem anymore.

Shooshie